Project 6-71 340 Demon

-
I got to run the engine for 15 minutes today. I started losing oil pressure again so I shut it down. The cooling was great. I had the Intrepid fans on high and the temp never got above 160. This was with the car in a garage. I am going to pull the oil pan again tomorrow and see what is going on with the oil pump this time. I am leaning toward using the stock bolts for the rear main as that will solve the clearance issues.

Man, does thing sound nasty with open headers. The wife couldn't believe how loud it was and she was in our other garage 150 feet away. LOL

I also made the template to cut the hole in the hood. I am trying to keep it tight to the blower but still have enough room for hood shake. All the corners are radius'd and the wife likes it. I will get pics tomorrow.

Jack

I finally had some success. I took the oil pan and oil pump off again. The oil pump was fine but the oil pump drive shaft was broken right at the top of the fitting on the oil pump. Luckily I had a spare. I also used a couple of stock bolts on the rear main just to make sure there were no more problems. I checked a couple of the mains to see if there was any damage to the bearings and they look great. I reassembled everything and turned the key. It fired before the engine turned one turn. My oil pressure is rock solid at 56 psi. I finished breaking the cam in, cured a couple of small fuel fitting leaks and called it a day. Last night I made up the template for the hole in my hood. I am going to radius the corners but one of these picks will give you an idea what its going to look like. I also took a few pics of the rad fans from the Intrepid. It is a very tight fit but seems to work real well. Now I just have to figure out how to post a video.

Jack

Attachments

• mini-DSCI0003.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 423
  • mini-DSCI0004.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 419
  • mini-DSCI0005.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 420
  • mini-DSCI0006.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 421
  • mini-DSCI0008.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
That sounds freakin awesome. Glad to see you finally figured out the oil pressure problem.

the tune sounds good to jack shes not roll'in shes runnin nice and smooth

the tune sounds good to jack shes not roll'in shes runnin nice and smooth

I read and read on the tune up for one of these things. I hope I have it right or very close anyway. I don't plan on racing it, as they probably wouldn't let me on the track anyway, so all out performance was not my key goal. I want to be able to drive it.

Jack

Beautiful, nice to hear it. That's a super proud feeling isn't it! The rebirth of the beast, it is definitely "not an angel" now. That is what you call having "power to spare"!
I bet you did not even think about the event next weekend...I'll let you guess what it is, might even see you there.
J-G

Things are really starting to come together. I got the hood cut out tonight. Nailed it with the first try. I will have to do a little body work on it and then repaint the black area then it will be set to go. The exhaust was not as big a problem as I thought it was. I cut a piece of the left side off and the right side bolted up with a little pushing from me. I will only have to buy 1 coupler for the left side and 3 clamps and it should all go together. I am getting so close to being able to drive this car that I licensed it today. How's that for optimisim?

Jack

Things are really starting to come together. I got the hood cut out tonight. Nailed it with the first try. I will have to do a little body work on it and then repaint the black area then it will be set to go. The exhaust was not as big a problem as I thought it was. I cut a piece of the left side off and the right side bolted up with a little pushing from me. I will only have to buy 1 coupler for the left side and 3 clamps and it should all go together. I am getting so close to being able to drive this car that I licensed it today. How's that for optimisim?

Jack

That's awesome! Can't wait for pics of the car when your done

Sounds "CRISP"
SOB is going to fly.
Damn ARP.

Now I want to see you out painting the road with rubber! It sounds absolutely great! Congrats on it as you have worked hard at it.
Matt

Jack that's total badassary.

Not as badassery as you might think. I am having a hell of a time getting this tune. I started out way to rich, I mean top fuel dragster rich. I traced it down to a couple of problems. A bad metering block and a bad fuel regulator. The fuel pressure was bouncing like crazy between 5 and 9 psi. I dropped in a different metering block and it helped. I swapped out the regulator and now the fuel pressure is 5 psi and rock solid.

My problem now is, it is way to lean. I mean off the scale of the A/F gauge. I can't get the idle below 2500 with out retarding the timing way back and then it back fires out the intake. Sure am glad I put that backfire valve in.

I am working on it and hopefully I will get it before Friday so I can go to the Nats.

Jack

-
Back