Project 6-71 340 Demon

-
That's exactly what I was worried about. I have the SBC snout and with a .400 spacer, I can run it on my 340. I will have to run a crank spacer of about 2 inches. I won't know the exact measurement until I get my intake back at the end of the week. It looks like I will end up with about 1/4 inch of space between my blower belt and my V-belt.

Jack

Not sure if I understand you correctly but 2" of spacers at the crank sounds like a lot.

How many crank V's do you plan on running? Hub or damper?

For me, everything was centered around the WP pulley because that's the one I couldn't move back any farther. I aligned my crank V with that and went from there. Ended up with hub>single V>lower drive pulley - that's it. My upper drive is in perfect alignment with the lower but you have about 1/4" tolerance either way.

I'm not using a hub. I have the stock balancer. I am basing everything off of the water pump pulley as well. In order to have a single V pulley line up at the crank I will need about 2 inches of spacer on the front of my balancer. This will put the water pump/alt. and crank all on the same plane and in between the block and the blower belt.

Jack

Gotcha. FYI, the blower manufacturers recommend either a hub or SFI rated balancer and not a stock balancer for safety. I know there are guys that say they run their stock balancer (with a single keyway too), no problem - but I would be remiss if I didn't bring this up.

Yup, I have talked to some that say exactly that and others that say with a max of 7 lbs of boost I will be more than safe. The problems start when the boost gets up around 12 lbs is what they are telling me.
I do appreciate the warning though. I would be stupid to not want all the info I could get.

Jack

I am finally back from vacation and getting back to work on the engine. It was fighting me all the way the last two days. I went to put my water pump on and one of the bolt holes in the times cover was stripped. That got me cursing a little. I cleaned up and painted another one, (after checking all the bolt holes), and went about replacing the timinig cover. All is good there now.

I got my intake back from the machine shop. They removed .050 from each mating surface and cut about 3/8 of an inch off the blower mounting plate. They did a great job and all fits well now. They also cut me some new spacers for the idler pulley.

I mocked up the blower, upper pulley and idler pulley. I then slipped the stock water pump pulley over the front and prayed. Yah Hoooh, the alignment is perfect. I have about 1/4 clearance between the blower belt and the V pulley. This means I can run the Alt. in the stock location as near as I can tell.

I refinsihed the headers I picked up from Jims70Dart and they turned out great.

Here's a few more pics.

Jack

Attachments

• mini-DSCI0010.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 559
  • mini-DSCI0012.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 548
  • mini-DSCI0015.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 548
Thanks Guy's,

I will be getting back to it this weekend coming. It's looking like a mid to late May fire up. That will be interesting, breaking in a cam on a blower engine, I have never done that before.

Jack

cant wait to see that monster sticking up out of the hood... looking good!

KEEP UP the good work and progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaron and I are watching and hoping
im with ya on that one jean-guy.........any updates jack or possibily a fire up date. i think im just as excited as you are.

come on Jack, we are all waiting for an update! The motor looks killer, and I for one am VERY jealious.

JACK! You're really doin it. Looks great! Has Bill Dedman been in here askin why you didn't go turbo yet? lol

Thanks guy's. Unfortunately I hurt my back a few weeks ago and I haven't been able to do much. The back feels much better now, so today I hope to install the engine in the car. Then it will be time to start putting it all together again. I think I have mocked this thing up 5 times now. LOL I will take some more pics as I go. I am still looking for an end of May or first of June fire up date. That will give me a few weeks to sort it out before the Atlantic Nats.

Jack

As promised, I got to work on the engine again today. I got the short block into it's new home after a lot of cursing and swearing. For some reason I kept missing that the tranny was not lifted up square to the engine and for the life of me I couldn't get the two lined up. I finally looked under the car and saw that the tranny was ****-eyed. DUHHHHHHH. Just one of those things. Once I got the tranny lifted properly everything went together like butter. I already have the lower pulley's on as I figured it would be easier than installing them later. I couldn't resist and mocked up the blower for some pics. Next thing I will be doing is hooking up everything that you normally would have to and then I will start installing the blower specific stuff.

Jack

Attachments

• mini-DSCI0004.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 448
  • mini-DSCI0006.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 459
  • mini-DSCI0008.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 443
Looks great Jack, but I bet there is one thing you overlooked...THAT WOULD BE THE USE OF A LOT OF ELBOW GREASE TO KEEP THAT THING SPARKLING...Alpine might help though. Oh by the way is that quitting smoking still working or will I have to beat you up at the nats.

Nope, don't have to beat me up yet. Still haven't had a smoke.

Your right about the elbow grease. I will need plenty of it. I think I will be buying a car cover real soon.

Jack

HURRAY to no smoke, the car cover one should be a good idea, maybe you could clean the blower all up before you come down and cover up the blower before the drive.

-
Back