Project: "A Body Jr" - 1975 Dodge Colt

-
Those are the only pictures i got from them, i took em in my last visit to Puerto Rico last summer and the one with black wheels is a 13B rotary turbo alcohol car with 900 whp and the one with polished aluminum wheels is a 4G63 eclipse 2.0 4 cylinder turbo with 600+ whp, both running ford 9 inch rearends, the one with black wheels is using a Liberty Gears clutchless trany while the other one is running a toyota r154 manual trany, what else you need to know about em?

Ohh also the one with black wheels has 14x32 rear tires. while the other one is 28 x 11.5

Whatever you had is great.

I really toyed with the 4G63 swap. I happen to have the complete 383/727/8.75 combo lying around, so I am going with more of a street fighter with drag race theme then corner carving rocket. I was tempted though...

Is this at a named car show where I could research?

Whatever you had is great.

I really toyed with the 4G63 swap. I happen to have the complete 383/727/8.75 combo lying around, so I am going with more of a street fighter with drag race theme then corner carving rocket. I was tempted though...

Is this at a named car show where I could research?
Nahh men, Car shows in PR are locally ramdomlly made and not even exposed in the net, it happens i go for summer time every year to Puerto Rico to visit family and friends, and i was driving arround one Sunday and see in the highway a bilboard anouncing a classic & drag car show and i stop to take some pictures and drink some beers, and see these 2 cars and got to take pictures of them cuz i never ever had see them before and i am up to date with the PR drag race scene, as i am a MOD in the PR drag race oriented forum known as WWW.GRS-MOTORSPORTS.COM

Trust me you are doing good by not convert it in a corner carving car, keep your path on the Drag race oriented look in my opinion the best that could happen to that car, and the 383 setup will be just badass, they are plenty spacefull on the engine compartment to acomodate it, if i where you, i'll go with a tube frame 3/4 chassis in 4130 to get rid of the mayority of the rust and have new sheetmetal underneath, easyer to deal with trany fitment and the modification of the firewall, but without having to open up the 1/4 pannels for a super big tire, a 275/60/15 will be enough to deal with whatever you trow at it and get the job done, plus the looks on the car will be top notch, if you ask me i'll go also with a strut converted front suspension to ad strenght to the front end with the 383, running the tubes of the main chassis all the way to the front like a full chassis but keeping the factory front frames only and taking the front fenderwells out or cuting em halfway using a strut tube that goes from the cage to the front frameto atach to the front tubes comming from the main chassis, that would be badass!

Demon1515, you are on track.
I am going 2x4 rectangular steel. It is running front to back, replacing the existing subframes. I am going to try to keep the front cross member as it houses the lower control arm and ball joints. The stock strut setup is not bad, but I may just jump straight to a coil over in the front. The upper mount will go from frame behind the radiator support, up to upper mount of coil over and down, to frame by side wall. I am going to keep it as short as possible, to allow as much space as possible around the 383...the wheel wells will be hand formed and removeable for easy access.

I watch you voice your opinions on FABO. I frequently agree with your point, but not always your approach. I wondered when I might wander into your targets. Now I have.

Just defending my true a-body..by the way what body style is a colt??..

well since you are going to the 5x4.5 bolt pattern 8.75 rear may I suggest, gasp!, SN95 mustang stuff up front. It has the same bolt pattern, kinda the same design, HUGE aftermarket support, easy/cheap to get, decent sized disc brakes for a little car like the colt. Id just modify the control arms to accept the correct ball joint and like a small aftermarket Moroso spring with an adjuster sleve to dial in the ride height.

This is basicly what Im doing with my little, gasp! again, Courier pickup along with an 8.8/3.73/trac-loc out of an explorer that should take all the power of a turboed 2.0L DOHC neon mill can put out8).....my very budget build built from free/leftover parts....total cost so far $120

Jr. a-body...please don't insult my duster...:angry7::angry7:

Looks like a Junior A body to me.
Yeah, I reference a Duster too. :toothy10:

EDIT: Gee, I didn't realize it is almost the same color, and similar wheels. Were I a whiz in photoshop, I 'da matched the paint stripes, the whole nine yards... I kill me. :toothy10:

colt3401.jpg

duster72_1.jpg

well since you are going to the 5x4.5 bolt pattern 8.75 rear may I suggest, gasp!, SN95 mustang stuff up front. It has the same bolt pattern, kinda the same design, HUGE aftermarket support, easy/cheap to get, decent sized disc brakes for a little car like the colt. Id just modify the control arms to accept the correct ball joint and like a small aftermarket Moroso spring with an adjuster sleve to dial in the ride height.

I hadn't considered the SN95 platform. I had planned on keeping as much of the crossmember, control arms etc from the Colt, tweaked for BB weight of course. I sell Comp Engineering, so the coil overs, etc aren't too bad.

Looks like a Junior A body to me.
Yeah, I reference a Duster too. :toothy10:

EDIT: Gee, I didn't realize it is almost the same color, and similar wheels. Were I a whiz in photoshop, I 'da matched the paint stripes, the whole nine yards... I kill me. :toothy10:

colt3401.jpg

duster72_1.jpg

LOL...i bet those colts would fly with just a 318 under the hood...

LOL...i bet those colts would fly with just a 318 under the hood...

I was torn 3 ways.
318-360 Roller motor, 383 big block, or 4AFE (2.0 from Eclipse/Talon/Lazer)

4AFE is 600-700 HP capable with 30+ lbs of boost. Lightweight, easy to package, + MPG, but more expensive for EFI, Turbo, etc (I have none of the needed components)
318 or 360 Magnum = moderate packaging, good power, moderate MPG, and I have 318 with heads in the garage, no extra parts.
383 hard packageing (maybe easier then LA motor due to distributor), rough MPG, but I have 383 / 727 / TQ converter / distiributor, oil pan, etc

Big Block won based on distributor, price, and WOW factor. 8.75 will get 2.76 gears, so MPG isnt too bad. I drive the crap outta my cars, this will get driven to work, with coffee, etc. ;)

That is way too cool..... i got a buddy that ran colts back in the 70's an 80's now he runs a a daytona.. with a big block. or his 63 post two door ply.

Attachments

• pic16.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 969
This is basicly what Im doing with my little, gasp! again, Courier pickup along with an 8.8/3.73/trac-loc out of an explorer that should take all the power of a turboed 2.0L DOHC neon mill can put out8).....my very budget build built from free/leftover parts....total cost so far $120
Hahahaha you underestimate the power of a 4 bangger, if i did 5.57 on the 1/8 with only 1800cc, on a stock suspension 1980 toyota corolla rear wheel drive using a chevy 10 bolt out of a Malibu narrowed to 50" on 26x8.5 tires tru a jerico 4 speed trany, with a weight of 2550 lbs i am 100% positive a 2.0 turboed neon mill should do as fast with a similar setup or faster cuz it is a better flowing 4 valves per cylinder head design.

I dunno? 74-77 is called the 2nd generation... I don't find a specific "platform" reference like we are used to?

.75*A

A-25%
Is not called neather cuz it is not a Chrysler product, the Dodge Colt is in fact a Mitsubishi Galant rebadged as a Dodge Colt to start theyr USA marketing program and then Mitsubishi take over theyr own brand in the States, while keeping theyr partnership with tha Chrysler group, i think they still have some bussiness together but not as strong as before. Most FWD Chrysler product had drivetrains and chassis made by Mitsubishi!

Here is a picture of the Japanese version,
DSC00299.jpg

post-19-1271337166.jpg

Most FWD Chrysler product had drivetrains and chassis made by Mitsubishi!

incorrect! the only mitsu platform is the old avenger/sebring (eclipse) and stealth (3000gt).....as far as engines go, just the 6g72 3.0L V6 in legions of chrysler minivans, AA bodies, datonas, etc. the 2.0L engine found in avengers, sebrings, 2gn eclipses, and 2gn talons is an DOHC neon engine with a reverse flow head for packaging (exhaust in the front, intake in the rear....honduh style)

incorrect! the only mitsu platform is the old avenger/sebring (eclipse) and stealth (3000gt).....as far as engines go, just the 6g72 3.0L V6 in legions of chrysler minivans, AA bodies, datonas, etc. the 2.0L engine found in avengers, sebrings, 2gn eclipses, and 2gn talons is an DOHC neon engine with a reverse flow head for packaging (exhaust in the front, intake in the rear....honduh style)
I should state the years about the chassis things sorry for that, but also the G54B engine found in some Caravans, 600, Conquest(Another Mitsubishi Cahssis) as well as the D50 rams that share the G54B and 6G63 2.0 liter engines ;) just to mention a few my friend, and did i mention the Talon or the Laser yet? well now i do, i did know my mitsu cars and trust me i didnt think it was or is a bad thing for Chrysler all the contrary it was one of the best things that happen to this brand we love so much!

you mean the G54B that might as well be a tractor engine?:bootysha:

No g-series 4-cylinder ever came with a chrysler logo with the exception of late-80's to early-90's colts

any ECB/ECC neon type engine was made on this contenent and is a CHRYSLER product and not a mitsu

you mean the G54B that might as well be a tractor engine?:bootysha:

No g-series 4-cylinder ever came with a chrysler logo with the exception of late-80's to early-90's colts

any ECB/ECC neon type engine was made on this contenent and is a CHRYSLER product and not a mitsu

Well firts those tractor engines where the first 4 banggers that broke the first 7 seconds in the 1/4 mile so not such tractors in my opinion,
And sorry to contradict you but the Dodge Ram50 small non 4WD pick up truck came with the 4G63 Mitsu 4 engine. and thats a fact buddy, go and search for engine gasket set for such truck and you will see!

Here a part # from Victor Reinz,
Engine Kit Gasket Set 95-3133VR (1990-1991) 122 CID (2.0L) SOHC 8V L4 3.35" (85.0mm) Mitsubishi, Engine Code: 4G63 (1990-1991)

Weren't Colts, Crickets, Omnis and Horizons Mitsu powered? Let's not forget the Raider....

Well firts those tractor engines where the first 4 banggers that broke the first 7 seconds in the 1/4 mile so not such tractors in my opinion,
And sorry to contradict you but the Dodge Ram50 small non 4WD pick up truck came with the 4G63 Mitsu 4 engine. and thats a fact buddy, go and search for engine gasket set for such truck and you will see!

Here a part # from Victor Reinz,
Engine Kit Gasket Set 95-3133VR (1990-1991) 122 CID (2.0L) SOHC 8V L4 3.35" (85.0mm) Mitsubishi, Engine Code: 4G63 (1990-1991)

with how much help? its a dog of an engine in stock form...

the D50 ended production after '86 when it was replaced by the Dakota any 4G63 you say was in a dodge branded product does not exist....maybe a Mitsu mighty max, but was not a dodge branded product
I was a dodge dealer parts guy.....I know my parts and I know what came in what. And for the record, the D50 is a BRANDED vehicle from MItsu.

however this is totaly irrelivant to this thread

-
Back