Project Midnight Swinger

-
Happy belated birthday. This project has been great to see, inspirational to fuel me/ others! Thank you for sharing your journey with us! Takes me back to high school and midnight mania on my Valiant.
Thanks man, it’s coming together and it feels good to get big stuff done.

The late nights takes me back too, it’s very cathartic. I’m looking forward to some of the bigger projects ahead, stay tuned!

Thanks man! I’ve got the gauge cluster that needs to be finished, epoxy, paint and it’s done. I want to start on the metal work soon, but it’s so damn hot. Then it’s wiring, motor assembly, 4 speed/clutch assembly, and the final mechanical piece will be a driveshaft. Seems like a lot but I’m just plugging along.

View attachment 1716118681
Its hot everywhere, I just got home from work, and it is 85 outside, not as bad as last week, but what I need to do has to happen outside in the sun, it might get done today.

Got the new 15x7 Bassett wheels and 215/65r15 tires for my birthday. Just installed the Moroso 3” studs. I know this is not everybody’s cup of tea, and I’m not even a big fan of NASCAR but I love the way this looks.

IMG_3486.jpeg

IMG_3487.jpeg

IMG_3488.jpeg

IMG_3489.jpeg

IMG_3490.jpeg

IMG_3491.jpeg

Midnight madness, these drum brakes put me through the wringer trying to get all the hardware to work. I had to swap the shoes twice at the parts store due to not working with the parking brake lever. Finally I had to replace the pins in the shoes to work with the parking brake hardware.

IMG_3611.jpeg

IMG_3612.jpeg

Anyone who is still following along knows that I’m just trying to put as much cool stuff into this build as possible. This is a 971 pan that’s been modified to 7 quarts. I traded a 402 pan for it straight up, just makes it all the more cool to me. Mopar guys helping mopar guys. Got the shitty California approved paint stripper working overtime lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not terrible but not great. I miss the old days when you could get the aerosol spray paint stripper, hit something metal, wait 5 mins and wipe clean with a rag. I had to scrape and scrub the **** out of this thing and it took a few hours and several applications.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not terrible but not great. I miss the old days when you could get the aerosol spray paint stripper, hit something metal, wait 5 mins and wipe clean with a rag. I had to scrape and scrub the **** out of this thing and it took a few hours and several applications.

View attachment 1716127228

View attachment 1716127229
That's not bad, you might wanna try and build yourself a small hot tank eventually for cleaning parts...hot water and detergent can really do wonders with that kind of stuff.
I miss the old days when you could get stripper that would laugh at base coat clear coat and say I'm going straight to bare metal in 5 minutes.

That's not bad, you might wanna try and build yourself a small hot tank eventually for cleaning parts...hot water and detergent can really do wonders with that kind of stuff.
I miss the old days when you could get stripper that would laugh at base coat clear coat and say I'm going straight to bare metal in 5 minutes.
I’m on the lookout for one! I still want to tank this pan to get the inside clean. I was going to call the local radiator shop and see if they will let me toss the pan,windage tray and pickup tube in their tank. The machine shops around here don’t have hot tanks, and they send everything out. ******* California.

The old stripper was amazing, I never sand blasted paint from metal parts, just apply, wait 5 mins and wipe to bare metal. Back in the day my friend.

is aircraft stripper available in the states? it's about the only one that seems to work here in the uk. they took the harmful ingredients out of over the counter strippers, but they were what actually stripped paint off :BangHead:.
it seems the stuff for planes still works.
neil.

is aircraft stripper available in the states? it's about the only one that seems to work here in the uk. they took the harmful ingredients out of over the counter strippers, but they were what actually stripped paint off :BangHead:.
neil.
I have a can leftover of older stuff that I had to put into another can because the bottom started to leak

neil.
Yeah,that’s what I used, but it’s more of a brand than actual aircraft quality paint stripper here.

IMG_3666.png

Offset spring hangers installed, just waiting on Mancini for the hanger nuts and I can bolt the 8.75 in. Had to break out the torch and scrape the undercoat on the drivers side.

IMG_3672.jpeg

IMG_3673.jpeg

IMG_3675.jpeg

IMG_3676.jpeg

IMG_3679.jpeg

IMG_3680.jpeg

IMG_3681.jpeg

Last edited:
I decided to up my ignition game while waiting for the motor to be finished. I found the distributor and box for stupid cheap while on vacation. Picked up the coil,wires, mounting kit and advance spring kit from Summit.

I’m planning on running the box inside the firewall on the passenger side. With the battery relocation, it should look pretty clean under the hood.

image.jpg

Hell yeah Jared! Those are some good parts! I've been too much of a pussy to get any work done out in this heat. haha!
I was raining sweat the whole time. I’m trying to get this thing off of the jack stands to keep project moral up, the heat is terrible though.

-
Back