Question on Gearvendors overdrive . Is it a basic bolt in operation for a

-
It does do you good other than just a gear after 3rd like every other, you're just not wanting to hear it, like i told you in the past it was great to have a GV as OD gear and then at the track find out using it to split gears i go FASTER, so it does help and YOU CAN SPLIT gears, if you have the ability to...

You just want to argue you have no reason to, you have no idea until you do it.
You won't get any further quicker elapsed time at the track with just a OD trans...no matter how many times you run it you can never change anything about 1st and 2nd or just 2nd, or just 1st.. You have no options other than getting on the hwy and using OD.. You aren't looking at the options, just I have no reason to split gears...

Best thing since sliced bread......no idea why the manufactures don't use the thing....every one can benefit from gear splitting.....

It does do you good other than just a gear after 3rd like every other, you're just not wanting to hear it, like i told you in the past it was great to have a GV as OD gear and then at the track find out using it to split gears i go FASTER, so it does help and YOU CAN SPLIT gears, if you have the ability to...

You just want to argue you have no reason to, you have no idea until you do it.
You won't get any further quicker elapsed time at the track with just a OD trans...no matter how many times you run it you can never change anything about 1st and 2nd or just 2nd, or just 1st.. You have no options other than getting on the hwy and using OD.. You aren't looking at the options, just I have no reason to split gears...

1) i don't care about the track or splitting gears.
2) it does nothing to lower my first gear. only gives me a 1st high,2nd high and a od.
3) it only has a .78 ratio in OD

not sure what isn't understood about that.

how much h.p. will a 200r4 take ? always thot they were pretty weak when it comes to bis h.p. what about cost , and the adapter?-------bob

How's 1200 HP from a grand national race car or 600-700 HP grand national street car.
The adapter will vary from who you get it from. Tci sells for about 400, wilcap 575.

Maybe if I was towing I would care about it but I'm not.

BAHAWAAAAAHHAAAAAAA

You can't double OD with these units for mileage gains on diesel manual trans trucks. GV says so right in the application charts.

I don't give two ***** about keeping the trans cool running in 4th with the GV unit instead of running 5th, especially when I only pull 6-7K, not 13.5 like my rig can pull. My trans isn't going to get hurt doing that and I bet I could fab up a cooler system for a lot less than 3K!

No fuel mileage benefit, no thanks!

It may bolt up OK, you still need a shortened driveshaft.

From what I heard GV only wants to deal with people that buy from them. So if you buy used and need parts you are screwed. Think you need to dimple the floor board to make it fit.

yes, gear vendors are assholes. My brother bought a nice used unit off craigslist for 800 bucks. he needs the tailshaft for his turbo400 trans, since the unit came out of a motorhome. bastards want 2000 bucks for it...the same exact price for rebuilt unit plus he would need to trade his in.....which is damn near the cost of a new one. i'll never use any of their products.

Some companies protect themselves, you weren't the original buyer so the PENALTY is having to pay for the adapter...
Thats the rule with them, only the original buyer is able to swap the unit to another vehicle and pay the price for the new adapter.
Thats what is keeping some prick from copying there stuff and having it made in china... I wish more companies would do that.

Some companies protect themselves, you weren't the original buyer so the PENALTY is having to pay for the adapter...
Thats the rule with them, only the original buyer is able to swap the unit to another vehicle and pay the price for the new adapter.
Thats what is keeping some prick from copying there stuff and having it made in china... I wish more companies would do that.

Yep, except that only does one of few things 1. They cut floor install different tranny, 2. Not buy product at all (which equals out of business, because word of mouth is a *****), 3. Or the best one someone buy said adapter, then copies the adapter and start selling it for cheaper (doesnt take much just add delete emblems numbers etc).
It really is simple business economics, pissing off the wrong person/people can lead to competition. Don't believe me, take a look at the adapter for the 200R4 wilcap (original) vs tci (competition).
Sorry my economics degree was kicking in there.

I suspect the lack of fuel efficiency increase after installing an overdrive device be it GV, a 4,5, or 6 speed transmission often can caused by a big lumpy cam that is rather inefficient at low rpm. Running a big overlapping cam that needs high rpm to improve scavenging requires a rear gear ratio of 3.75, 4.11 and on up. While running an engine so equipped at low rpm sends a lot of un-burnt fuel out the tail pipe, and drops below the ideal power & torque curves. Improving fuel economy of an engine equipped with a big cam is not going to happen, it is what it is

Also most of the engines with big cams I have seen are equipped with oversized double pumpers. These carburetors are not generally set up or tuned for economy, coupled with a big cam providing low vacuum while operating at low rpm can’t deliver economy or performance until engine gets back up into its designed power curve. This is a reason for not seeing any significant economy increase’s by adding an overdrive to such vehicles.

An overdrive installation would work a lot better mated with an engine having a torque build sporting a vacuum secondary carburetor where torque comes on just off idle, and carburetor always sees a good vacuum signal at idle.

We have become spoiled with modern automotive drive trains delivering the best of both worlds; efficient fuel injected, variable cam timing, HO engines, and eight speed transmissions utilizing mutable overdrive ratios in two plus ton 400 hp monsters capable of great ¼ mile times, and mpg in the high 20’s all day long.

personally i don't see ithat it keeps it from being copied. if someone wanted to copy it i'm sure they will find a way to get what they needed to do so.

also if i was making/selling them i would want them in as many cars as possible. this way more people would be out saying how much they like it and how good of customer service they have.. holding parts hostage like that isn't doing that. word of mouth is a lot better advertisement than anything in print could be. hell just look at these threads and how many are turned off by the parts being held hostage.

hey guys;

If you want best of both look at the 6 speed set up from TCI; Their 4L80 that is split shifted giving 6 speeds and has adapter available for almost any driveline and is computer shifted, If you are cutting or modding floorboard anyway, bullet proof set up but only has .75 o/d ratio, but lower low gear ratio than 727 std. ratio allowing use of taller diff gear use.

Lon;

hey guys;

If you want best of both look at the 6 speed set up from TCI; Their 4L80 that is split shifted giving 6 speeds and has adapter available for almost any driveline and is computer shifted, If you are cutting or modding floorboard anyway, bullet proof set up but only has .75 o/d ratio, but lower low gear ratio than 727 std. ratio allowing use of taller diff gear use.

Lon;

And this is why a 200R4 comes into play. You don't have to cut the tunnel to install it and you gain an o/d transmission that is all hyd and doesn't need electric hookups. Now if you are willing/going to cut the tunnel, why limit yourself to a 4 speed? Drop a 6 speed in that baby and be done. A 6L80/6L90 would be a great tranny to have, but only if you're going/willing to cut the tunnel. A 200R4 doesn't require that so it makes a much better option if you don't want to cut the tunnel.

Agreed 2004r is a great choice for any limited space application , have just completed 2 installs here in my home shop for customers, a 63 chevy nova w/ a ramjet and 56 packard straight 8 car both complete cutoms.

Lon;

I hope i'm not stepping out of bounds here Jerry, but for those that don't know, he has a few physical issues he's dealing with and the manual 4spd OD idea is probably not on the table. I believe a Auto trans solution is best.
Not a problem . Hope you're doing well .
Didn't know this would go on and on . GV unit is my only choice , don't want to cut the floor , manual is out of the question . Just want a bit more mileage on the highway and less revs , my truck with the 4 speed OD revs at 3200 without the OD 22-2500 with the od , makes a big difference in noise vibration . That is all I want , only go to the track 6-10 times a year , just for fun . As it is it gets about 20-23 mpg 25 would be great, but it's the revs that get to me , what can I say getting old and cranky .
Thanks all for the info good and bad , now to make a decision , it is expensive so I don't want an expensive paper weight .

Not a problem . Hope you're doing well .
Didn't know this would go on and on . GV unit is my only choice , don't want to cut the floor , manual is out of the question . Just want a bit more mileage on the highway and less revs , my truck with the 4 speed OD revs at 3200 without the OD 22-2500 with the od , makes a big difference in noise vibration . That is all I want , only go to the track 6-10 times a year , just for fun . As it is it gets about 20-23 mpg 25 would be great, but it's the revs that get to me , what can I say getting old and cranky .
Thanks all for the info good and bad , now to make a decision , it is expensive so I don't want an expensive paper weight .

Take a look at that 200R4

??? what?

gv isn't helping me anywhere else but an extra gear. its not giving me a better first gear. if i wanted to split gears (which i do not) it would only give me a gear between 1st and 2nd and between 2nd and 3rd then of course the OD.

with a trans i'll get a lower 1st gear so it would help me in first and again in OD.

and no i do not have either set ups. car is still in the gathering parts/planning stages..

like i have stated in a couple other threads when this comes up. i have two friends that are running GV units. they both like them and have had no issues with them. i just think its way too much money for just an OD unit that doesn't offer me so good of an OD ratio. they both run a 3.55 gear which turns to around a 2.76 in OD.

that .69 ratio gets me like 8mph at a given rpm over the .78 ratio. thats qutie a bit in my book..

A drop from 3.55 down to 2.76 would be perfect ! As it is I put the 3.23 back in because with 3.55 it just revved to high for my liking on the highway . It is expnsive , but if it means I enjoy the ride more with the GV it's worth it .
That means I can put the 3.55 have better acceleration from a stop and even lower revs on the highway that my 3.23 , what's not to like ? You say it's expensive , hey this whole 2nd car/toy is expensive , store in winter , insurance , plates it's the nature of the beast .
Thanks .

A drop from 3.55 down to 2.76 would be perfect ! As it is I put the 3.23 back in because with 3.55 it just revved to high for my liking on the highway . It is expnsive , but if it means I enjoy the ride more with the GV it's worth it .
That means I can put the 3.55 have better acceleration from a stop and even lower revs on the highway that my 3.23 , what's not to like ? You say it's expensive , hey this whole 2nd car/toy is expensive , store in winter , insurance , plates it's the nature of the beast .
Thanks .

hey if it does what you need then go for it.

i said its expensive for what it gives. to me i would rather have a better first gear and a better OD ratio if i'm spending that type of money. but if the GV works for you go for it. like i said i have two friends running them with 3.55 gears that they like it..

Yep, except that only does one of few things 1. They cut floor install different tranny, 2. Not buy product at all (which equals out of business, because word of mouth is a *****), 3. Or the best one someone buy said adapter, then copies the adapter and start selling it for cheaper (doesnt take much just add delete emblems numbers etc).
It really is simple business economics, pissing off the wrong person/people can lead to competition. Don't believe me, take a look at the adapter for the 200R4 wilcap (original) vs tci (competition).
Sorry my economics degree was kicking in there.

As it stands now the only way you get a GV and that 1 adapter needed is to buy the entire thing though.
Now the people here stealing other companies stuff and having it copied in china aren't dropping 2400 to 3600 per adapter.
I understand the pirating thing all to well as it is rampant in my industry and why i always tell people make sure and tell them to leave the china on the shelf.
But buying 10 different pieces at $60 and having it copied is easier than 20 different adapters you had to drop 3k for.
Only other way to get all of the different adapters is buy them used, and they aren't usually all over

If i wanted to i could make the adapter myself really, i have all the machining equipment to make anything or copy anything really.
A bell-housing trans adapter is so much easier to do though.

personally i don't see ithat it keeps it from being copied. if someone wanted to copy it i'm sure they will find a way to get what they needed to do so.

also if i was making/selling them i would want them in as many cars as possible. this way more people would be out saying how much they like it and how good of customer service they have.. holding parts hostage like that isn't doing that. word of mouth is a lot better advertisement than anything in print could be. hell just look at these threads and how many are turned off by the parts being held hostage.

It's worked for them for a long time now, keep in mind GV isn't a new company, been around since the late 70's and they have aquired gkn and all there od stuff a few years back, they are only going to get better.

Here's the thing though, the only people turned off are the people buying it from someone else and not GV and having to deal with there policy and don't understand it, and not having a clue in this industry and what happens would make you talk nagatively, but they are protecting themselves.

It's like when people call me for stuff, there are certain things i do im not making for anyone that i haven't seen the stuff it's going into right in front of me, why? because i don't know what they are really gonna do with it, but i do know when i see it in person i know they didn't spend 30k, 70k or 150k just to get me to make it so they can figure out how i do it and mass produce it.

Look at all the trans shops that used to get there stuff from msp, he made the particular pieces that MADE those trans shops and put them on the map, and then they went and scum-bagged him and had his stuff he pioneered, he did all the r&d on, spent all the time and money making right and some scumbag sent it to china for copying ... it's not as good as msp, but the damage is done.

But dealing with people from other states does that to a company and makes them put certain policies into place that helps them from becoming pirated.

This is a really fuked up world now, and you try and get the govt to help you and spend countless tens of thousands and get NO WHERE...

[Expletive Deleted] supershafts, do you ever post anywhere else accept drivetrain? Spread the love man.

[Expletive Deleted]supershafts, do you ever post anywhere else accept drivetrain? Spread the love man.

I have posted in quite a few other areas, but driveline is where all the fun is, suspension is also a good area for modifications but very few like to go fast in turns and i have posted there and gave tips of what mods work well, depends what is happening when i have time

-
Back