Radiator choices

-

Dartn440

Reaction score
Have a 72 Dart Swinger with an externally balanced 440 with big valve stock heads going in soon. Want to put a healthy radiator with electric fan in place. Any help on choices?

find a radiator the fits just inside the frame rails and from the bottom to the top of the core support that has at least 2 1" rows. that will the biggest one that will fit and it will cool the best. one hose on the bottom drivers side and the other one on the passenger top.

I was also wondering what radiator everyone else was using? vendor, part number or size?

Have a 72 Dart Swinger with an externally balanced 440 with big valve stock heads going in soon. Want to put a healthy radiator with electric fan in place. Any help on choices?

Be Cool. Can't beat them.. 2nd car, 2nd radiator. Car can idle all day in 90's+

1" tubes are not enough for above 400hp imo. Get as big of tubes as you can, mine has dual 1.5" tubes and now I have something that radiates. I had to trim the car to get it to fit,oh well.

Im now thinking about getting a Champion Radiator, 'CC375' rated to 700hp. How tall can you go on a Duster radiator? This one is for the "b body" mopar.

Radiator Dimensions:
Total:
22.25" tall (23.30” with cap) x 29" wide (with brackets) x 2.75" deep
Core: 17.5" tall x 26" wide x 2.5" thick
Inlet: 1.5" passenger side
Outlet: 1.75" driver side
Tanks: 2.75"

Just bought a Champion Radiator 26x19 3core, 'CC375' from amazon for $204 delivered.

Get a 3 core from a Jeep Cherokee, I got one out of a 77 401 and it fit my '65 A! Wall to wall (rail to rail) radiator! Kept a 451 cool enough.

The bastard on Amazon did not have the radatior avalible, looks like I will be looking for another possibly 'be cool qualifier #35008, 19-1/4 x 28-1/2, 1' dual core universal or possibably equivilent in Griffin radiators.

Stock 318 w/air 3 core radiator with a clutch fan, shroud and 160 degree thermostat. The car never runs over 190 ever.

how thick of radiator are people running, 2 1/2 or 3 inch?

I`ll 2nd that Smith Racing Radiator there not cheap and if your in a hurry maby there not for you but they build them custom for your car mine is a B body wide and A body high real nice peice I think it was around $600 with 1 1/2 tubes

find a radiator the fits just inside the frame rails and from the bottom to the top of the core support that has at least 2 1" rows. that will the biggest one that will fit and it will cool the best. one hose on the bottom drivers side and the other one on the passenger top.

I have been pondering the water pump / radiator for my BB / drag Demon. Using one of these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cvs-7426 will put the lower hose on the drivers side and using one of these swivel thermostat housings http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cvs-tsh8cl will allow the top to be like Bob said. Man those thermostat housings are high!

About right Bob?

I'd run a 750 hp be cool radiator with a mezeire electric water pump I have one on my big block and it works great

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Griffin : 1-86910-X and Derale fan setup :16833 for street car, waterproof fan motors, 16826 with a little trimming if race only. If this doesnt cool your ride you have other problems. If you you want one that bolts in use a Griffin Max Cool 5-00028.

I am using a summit 27.5x19 aluminum rad with a 3.8 ford tours (spelling) fan in my 11.1 440 big block 73 dodge dart. i do have indy aluminum heads. also i am using the summit brand electric water pump. which is really a CVR water pump. i have yet to see my water temp get over 180 and that is after making a 1/4 mile pass in the heat.I ran this same cooling set up with my 10.5 compression 440 that had steel 906 heads and it cooled it just fine. as soon as i get some mufflers put on i will be driving my car on the street. here are a few pics of my set up. hope they help. thanks bobby

Attachments

• 005 [1600x1200].jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 383
  • 006.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 454
  • 100_0777.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 490
Mopar 65. Thanks for the pics. Any fabrication required for that set up?

i had to do some fabing. but if i can do it so can you. well on the rad i just got some L shaped aluminum and had them welded on the sides of the rad. on the fan i had to cut the tabs of the side of the fan sharoud (spelling) and got some little L shaped metal strips to mount the electric fan to the rad. i used the tab that is on the top of the fan and ran a bolt through it and the top of the rad. you can see it in the second pic. let me see if i have a few better pics of the set up. also the ford fan has a low and a high speed.the high speed is so posed to be around 4500 cfm. which is what i have wired up. another fan that is a good fan is the Chevy HHR one. but i like the ford better because the fan motor is off set to the left. it cleared the CVR electric water pump a lot better than the HHR one.

Attachments

• 100_0479 (Large).jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 452
  • 100_0478.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 494
  • 100_0493.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 443
-
Back