Random pictures thread

-
20240709_171437.jpg

how do you do that?
First I remove all the rust using a wire wheel on a hand drill (several different sizes and shapes).

That takes about 2-3 hrs per piece. I make it all shiny clean metal in every nook and cranny. Then blow and wipe all the dust off using a dry cloth.

Then I wipe it down with veg oil so it doesn't flash rust.

I then wash it with soap and water to take off the oil and give it a scrub with steel wool before quickly drying it and putting it on a lit stove burner to give it a fast heat to drive off any water so as to not let it rust again.

Then I wipe it all again liberally with veg oil to wait for for the seasoning process.

When it time to season it, I wipe it with paper towels so only a very light coating of oil remains before putting it in the oven at 450 for an hour. Let it cool in the oven before repeating oil and heat cycle. I do that for a total of 5 cycles.

Light oil layers are key so that the oil polymerizes properly and you build multiple thin layers so that it becomes completely non-stick.

The rule of thumb is that if you think you might have too much oil on the surface, then you do. No such thing as too thin a layer, but too thick will make it sticky and gooey destroying the fine seasoning you are after. Better to do more thin layers until you are satisfied. One layer too thick will ruin it.

The end product is a fully seasoned pan ready for use. Just be sure to lightly oil all interior surfaces before cooking to keep stuff from sticking to the sides.

With cast iron, cooking with oil is your friend for long lasting performance.

I have been playing around with restoring some vintage cast iron cookware. I bought a few pieces for a few bucks at a thrift shop and figured I would give it a go. The vintage stuff is considered top-notch for cooking and some of it brings big bucks on the collector market if it has the right manufacturer name.

View attachment 1716274210

Here is one that I restored. Before and after, fully seasoned and we are using it to cook already. It’s a vintage Wagner Ware Sidney piece c1935 - 1941 so it has some collector value too.

Cooks like a dream!

View attachment 1716274213

View attachment 1716274211
Love me a good, seasoned cast iron. Nice save

IMG_0259.jpeg

Union Pacific 4014 "Big Boy" Steam Engine visits Oroville, Ca.
1.1 million pounds, 17’ tall, 7,000hp 135’ long of old American Iron
It’s only 111° outside.

Last edited:
-
Back