re-wiring a 69 Dart

-

kc0r8y

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 69 Dart that I would like to totally re-wire. I'd also like to put in an aftermarket Gauge cluster. Most of the aftermarket clusters I see are for 70 and up Darts. Will that cluster still work in a 69? Also I see alot of aftermarket wiring harnesses for sale and was looking at the painless kit. 21 Circuit Customizable 1966-76 Mopar Chassis HarnessDetails | Painless Performance
Can anyone give me feedback on that kit?

I'd like to be able to put in an aftermarket radio, amp and some speakers, nothing crazy, just something decent.

Any help or advise is appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

I did a new wiring kit in my Comet. Make sure you know how many circuits you need. I ordered one with more than i needed. Just added to my confusion, and didn't want to cut the unused wires, so they ended up coiled behind the kick panel. I don't know the answer to the other questions.

I used a painless kit years ago to wire my 69 dart. It was anything but painless. But seeing that this is allegedly meant for mopar specifically gives me some faith. Proceed with caution and ask questions.

Hi,

I have a 69 Dart that I would like to totally re-wire. I'd also like to put in an aftermarket Gauge cluster. Most of the aftermarket clusters I see are for 70 and up Darts. Will that cluster still work in a 69? Also I see alot of aftermarket wiring harnesses for sale and was looking at the painless kit. 21 Circuit Customizable 1966-76 Mopar Chassis HarnessDetails | Painless Performance
Can anyone give me feedback on that kit?

I'd like to be able to put in an aftermarket radio, amp and some speakers, nothing crazy, just something decent.

Any help or advise is appreciated.
Thanks
Ken
The 69 and earlier instrument clusters are different from 70 and up and will not interchange.

I need to find someone who makes an aftermarket insert for the 69s.

I used a painless kit years ago to wire my 69 dart. It was anything but painless. But seeing that this is allegedly meant for mopar specifically gives me some faith. Proceed with caution and ask questions.
I whole hardheartedly agree. The 68 Barracuda I bought had a painless harness that was already wired up to the aftermarket Autometer gauges in the rally dash. I took one look at the bundle of wires and told myself no way. I just got it back from a guy that wires hot rods for a living. Best 500.00 I ever spent. I know my limitations!

I need to find someone who makes an aftermarket insert for the 69s.

You seem to be out of luck. Peak Dashes went out of business. You might luck out on getting some NOS. You could have a fab shop copy one for you.

I have also been told that Dakota digital will do a 69 dash cluster over for you.

My last car I used a 73ish style insert that I dropped modern gauges in. But that requires a little rework of the metal in your dash.

1%20small.jpg

3small.jpg

01313_2kCzC4tWhxf_600x450.jpg

10354954_10204960777848583_3154114383600923141_n.jpg

20150430_150841.jpg

You seem to be out of luck. Peak Dashes went out of business. You might luck out on getting some NOS. You could have a fab shop copy one for you.

I have also been told that Dakota digital will do a 69 dash cluster over for you.

My last car I used a 73ish style insert that I dropped modern gauges in. But that requires a little rework of the metal in your dash.

What wiring harness did you use?

Do you have pics of the work you did to the dash?

On the purple car it's the factory harness. Just deleted the ampmeter.

The silver car had a painless harness in it. Never again...

as far as the tin work, no, but it's very self explanatory. The 69 insert is longer than the 73

On the purple car it's the factory harness. Just deleted the ampmeter.

The silver car had a painless harness in it. Never again...

as far as the tin work, no, but it's very self explanatory. The 69 insert is longer than the 73

I'm looking to rewire the whole car as well as add a custom dash and radio. I never though it would be so difficult.

Why never again on the painless kit? Did you use the one made for Mopar?

21 Circuit Customizable 1966-76 Mopar Chassis HarnessDetails | Painless Performance

whats your budget? American Auto wire is another option. Its genuinely painless :)

whats your budget? American Auto wire is another option. Its genuinely painless :)

I can't afford to spend an insane amount on the harness, but my budget will have to be whatever it takes to get everything done correctly.

Also, I checked that site and when I use to dropdown for 1969 they only have B bodies listed.

I'm looking to rewire the whole car as well as add a custom dash and radio. I never though it would be so difficult.

Why never again on the painless kit? Did you use the one made for Mopar?

21 Circuit Customizable 1966-76 Mopar Chassis HarnessDetails | Painless Performance

No, I used the pro street harness. The mopar one may be better.

I'd be leaning towards Ron Francis if I do another complete re-wire.

The dash is easy is you use aftermarket gauges. Just be sure to use quality quick connects in case you ever have to pull the console. plus they make the install a snap

I can't afford to spend an insane amount on the harness, but my budget will have to be whatever it takes to get everything done correctly.

done correctly? budget at least $1000... to do it right you'll want to rebuild all the light sockets and all.. its a big job to do it right. well worth it in the end..

i did my 71 with a american auto wire highway 22 kit.. lots of work but not a bad install. that was before they had the classic update kits out.. the quality is awesome with american auto wire. not always the cheapest though.

done correctly? budget at least $1000... to do it right you'll want to rebuild all the light sockets and all.. its a big job to do it right. well worth it in the end..

i did my 71 with a american auto wire highway 22 kit.. lots of work but not a bad install. that was before they had the classic update kits out.. the quality is awesome with american auto wire. not always the cheapest though.

I've learned you get what you pay for though. I'm just wondering if i'll have any issues with aftermarket gauges.

If you have the means, get the American Auto Wire Abody harness. It is worth every penny.

I am a complete idiot when it comes to electrical, but the harness design and instructions make it incredibly simple. Not to mention AAW's customer service/tech support really shine.

Check out their instructions for the gauge cluster. Clearly shows you how to go the factory or aftermarket route..
http://www.americanautowire.com/PDFLink/92971259 510605 IN 0.0.pdf

One thing I will note, the kit is NOT built to run the factory alt and external voltage regulator. It's intended to use a 1-wire type alternator. Instead I went ahead and did the toyota upgrade and simple added a keyed 12v excite wire and sense wire. I discussed this with AAW and their intentions were to add it to the harness

If you have the means, get the American Auto Wire Abody harness. It is worth every penny.

I am a complete idiot when it comes to electrical, but the harness design and instructions make it incredibly simple. Not to mention AAW's customer service/tech support really shine.

Check out their instructions for the gauge cluster. Clearly shows you how to go the factory or aftermarket route..
http://www.americanautowire.com/PDFLink/92971259 510605 IN 0.0.pdf

Great info guys, thank you very much. Now that I have which Harness im going to use, I now need to figure out how i'm going to mod my dash for a new gauges.

One thing I will note, the kit is NOT built to run the factory alt and external voltage regulator. It's intended to use a 1-wire type alternator. Instead I went ahead and did the toyota upgrade and simple added a keyed 12v excite wire and sense wire. I discussed this with AAW and their intentions were to add it to the harness

I'll call them up and mention this to them before I buy the harness. How about an aftermarket sound system? Will the harness support that?

It has a keyed 12v and constant 12v for the radio, nothing else in a stereo system is going to run off the harness for the car. amps and speakers are all powered/wired seperately.

-
Back