Rear cross bracing repair

-

Motoblag

Reaction score
After pulling most of the interior to do some electrical troubleshooting, I found the rear crossbracing to be broken on one side. Also, is this welded in chunk of metal stock? At some point in the car's ownership someone converted it to a 4 speed 340 from a 318 auto. I assume this plate is for the pinion snubber.

vvTaRCKl.jpg

The passenger's side is loose:

ekJdTqTl.jpg

Quality welding:
g6UaE4bl.jpg

UqIoCuGl.jpg

Should I prep the surfaces and plug weld the bracing in? Drill and bolt it together?

that welded chunk of metal is not stock... either way is fine - those braces are for the rear seat back, they are not structural

Wrong, they are very structural. They provide support to the C Pillar. The rear seat never contacts them.
doh--- you're right - the rear seat hooks are on the floor and along the front edge of the package tray.. with that in mind, I would be concerned that the car has some structural issues...

not questioning you - more looking to know - so, where do they connect to on the other end? I thought I remembered it being on the wheel tub...
They connect to the top corners of the package tray. Their job is to support the C Pillars in a side impact, or roll over, as well as add general rigidity.
This is why fastbacks and fold down seat cars have different wheel house structures.

That thing should handle awesome when you fix that, comparatively speaking.

-
Back