Rear shocks / struts

-

73Charger318

Member Rt 66 Mopar Club
Reaction score
Hello. So I knew I had the tow package but discovered this also gave me the 3.23 gears instead of the typical 2.93. Another pretty cool thing about this old 65 Cuda.

A few questions about this picture. Trying to address some suspension issues while the gas tank is out of the way. I have KYB gas adjusts bought for the rear, but now wondering if I should have bought the Monroe shock and strut assembly, or something similar. What's involved in getting these struts off and onto the new shocks? I've never messed with them before.

The new gas line - Is it in the right position or should it feed in from the other side of the shock? (should have taken some pictures)

Lastly - has anyone added the leaf spring assists to their car? The reviews I've seen online all seem good, and the upgrade is cheap and pretty easy to do.

Thanks..

IMG_0433.jpg

Maybe I'm not picking up what you're laying down, but if you're referring to removing the springs attached to the shocks. It's just a matter of loosening the top and bottom clamps and sliding the springs down off of the shocks.

Maybe I'm not picking up what you're laying down, but if you're referring to removing the springs attached to the shocks. It's just a matter of loosening the top and bottom clamps and sliding the springs down off of the shocks.
Thanks. I wanted to make sure that's all I had to do. Didn't know if they were under any tension and if I needed any special tools to remove and reinstall safely. Sounds easy enough!

If the rear end were suspended and not on jack stands then yes the "helper" springs would be in "tension" But since the axle is fully supported on jack stands the helper springs are in "compression" but that all depends on the leaf springs, due caution is advised while loosening the clamps. Those springs are probably fatigued from use over time, I would replace them.

If the rear end were suspended and not on jack stands then yes the "helper" springs would be in "tension" But since the axle is fully supported on jack stands the helper springs are in "compression" but that all depends on the leaf springs, due caution is advised while loosening the clamps. Those springs are probably fatigued from use over time, I would replace them.
I would be fully onboard with replacing the springs with the shocks. Can you lead me in the right direction in finding the replacement springs?

Thanks. I wanted to make sure that's all I had to do. Didn't know if they were under any tension and if I needed any special tools to remove and reinstall safely. Sounds easy enough!
While the shocks are still attached to the bolts, loosen the bottom clamp first and that'll start you off.

Those look like some J.C. Whitney-quality helper springs, not in any way "struts"
I'd remove the lower shock mount, so the helper has someplace to go, before loosening the lower spring mount.
For new springs? I'd Google "helper springs"
(How are the upper shock mounts? Broken yet?)
I'd be tempted to borrow a spring compressor from Kragen, or O'Reilleys, or whomever. Could also maybe use a bunch of wire ties.

Last edited:
Those look like some J.C. Whitney-quality helper springs, not in any way "struts"
I'd remove the lower shock mount, so the helper has someplace to go, before loosening the lower spring mount.
For new springs? I'd Google "helper springs"
(How are the upper shock mounts? Broken yet?)
I'd be tempted to borrow a spring compressor from Kragen, or O'Reilleys, or whomever. Could also maybe use a bunch of wire ties.
I actually used zip ties to compress the front ones. Upper shock mounts look good, and already have the panel out of the way to access them. Sounds like removing them will be easy compared to getting them back on the car.

When searching most hits are the leaf spring helpers I mentioned in my original post. I have found some helper springs that look like they may work. I would have to measure the height of mine. I would have no idea on how to choose the "rate".

You don’t want that junk on your shocks. Just remove and throw them in the trash, put the new shocks on.

Spring helpers are not recommended for worn out springs. You want new springs and bushings. Think of the metal fatigue after almost 60 years of supporting the weight of the car and lord only knows what else.

Are you planning on towing or putting 200 plus pounds of crap in the trunk?

You don’t want that junk on your shocks. Just remove and throw them in the trash, put the new shocks on.

Spring helpers are not recommended for worn out springs. You want new springs and bushings. Think of the metal fatigue after almost 60 years of supporting the weight of the car and lord only knows what else.

Are you planning on towing or putting 200 plus pounds of crap in the trunk?
"Are you planning on towing or putting 200 plus pounds of crap in the trunk?"

NEITHER! If I had a dead body to move it would be temporary. It set for 30 years with an extra back seat in the back of it. No clue where that seat came from, but if anyone needs one I have an extra.

lol I would just put the KYB shocks you got on, and save my pennies for some new leaf springs. They will make a large difference. You don’t need or want the shock coil springs.

that there is some JC whitney bobo *** junk. take all that crap off, drive to the nearest lake, walk down to the water and throw that mess as far as you can into the water while muttering: see you in hell.

then order up some stock monroes or gabriels for the rear and call it done.

To me, wire ties and zip ties are interchangeable. Whichever term my damaged mind comes up with first, LOL.

But if your leaf springs are weak/old, and new springs are not in the budget, there are leafspring helpers that won't destroy the shock mounts. ("Add a leaf"?]

lol I would just put the KYB shocks you got on, and save my pennies for some new leaf springs. They will make a large difference. You don’t need or want the shock coil springs.
I see two options on RockAuto for leaf springs, both very similar in price. Maybe I'll just go with the new shocks without the coil springs until the time comes that I want to buy new leaf springs. I may still try the Superior leaf spring helpers.

that there is some JC whitney bobo *** junk. take all that crap off, drive to the nearest lake, walk down to the water and throw that mess as far as you can into the water while muttering: see you in hell.

Will the trash can work as long as I mutter see you in hell?
I already have KYB gas adjust purchased, but either one of your suggestions would have been great too.

Hello. So I knew I had the tow package but discovered this also gave me the 3.23 gears instead of the typical 2.93. Another pretty cool thing about this old 65 Cuda.

A few questions about this picture. Trying to address some suspension issues while the gas tank is out of the way. I have KYB gas adjusts bought for the rear, but now wondering if I should have bought the Monroe shock and strut assembly, or something similar. What's involved in getting these struts off and onto the new shocks? I've never messed with them before.

The new gas line - Is it in the right position or should it feed in from the other side of the shock? (should have taken some pictures)

Lastly - has anyone added the leaf spring assists to their car? The reviews I've seen online all seem good, and the upgrade is cheap and pretty easy to do.

Thanks..

View attachment 1716291654
Yep, those are just Mickey Mouse overload springs that fit over the shocks. They are just a band aid for a good set of springs. I had a set of those on my 65 Dart and when I went over a set of railroad tracks at 55 mph, the coil caught the lip of the gas tank and peeled the tank out from under the car. It went sliding down the highway behind me. Lucky there was no fire. Contact Espo Springs and things and order yourself a new set. THey will last you a decade or more. Mine are 10 years old on my 66 and still hold the car up nicely.

2.20.22c.jpg

Will the trash can work as long as I mutter see you in hell?
I already have KYB gas adjust purchased, but either one of your suggestions would have been great too.
sure, just light them on fire and salt the ashes after. don't wanna take any chances there.

you already have they kyb's so just snap 'em on and roll. they're not my first choice, but whatever they're already paid for.

there's no substitution for good springs and any kind of "helper" is just a band-aid at best. get it together and reassess the situation, if you need springs then cross that bridge when you get there.

See you in hell...

IMG_0436.jpg

To me, wire ties and zip ties are interchangeable. Whichever term my damaged mind comes up with first, LOL.

But if your leaf springs are weak/old, and new springs are not in the budget, there are leafspring helpers that won't destroy the shock mounts. ("Add a leaf"?]
Yes I mentioned the leaf spring helpers in original post. I guess it's the poor mans way to better leaf springs. O'reillys has the Superior ride effex ones for $70. Maybe hold me over till I get around to new leaf springs.

Yep, those are just Mickey Mouse overload springs that fit over the shocks. They are just a band aid for a good set of springs. I had a set of those on my 65 Dart and when I went over a set of railroad tracks at 55 mph, the coil caught the lip of the gas tank and peeled the tank out from under the car. It went sliding down the highway behind me. Lucky there was no fire. Contact Espo Springs and things and order yourself a new set. THey will last you a decade or more. Mine are 10 years old on my 66 and still hold the car up nicely.

View attachment 1716291756
I may have misunderstood you, when you said you ordered a set from Espo Springs. Laura tells me you meant leaf springs, because they don't sell coil over springs for a dart or barracuda. I asked her for a quote on new leaf springs.
Thanks!

-
Back