reinstalled trans, now problem with shifting linkage

-

68 A

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
so 2+ monthes ago i pulled the 273 and 904 out of my 70 dart. Since this is the first time i've really pulled an engine, i had not dissconnected everything from the transmission before we started. I did not dissconnect the shifting linkage (column shifted), kickdown cable, and something else that i dont remember.

Anyway, i saw that i needed to disconnect the shifting linkage while we were starting to pull the combo out. I took the bolt out to get the linkage free, and did not really look at the braket that holds it on very well until i just tried to reinstall it. The problem is that the braket that connects some of the linkage to the transmission does not line up where i think it is supposed to connect. I have pictures and i'm sure that those of you who have done this know what your looking at and what i'm trying to say with my lack of correct part labels and poor descriptions.

the first picture is the bracket

second is the linkage next to the transmission

third is the braket slide onto the linkage

unfortunatly i cannot use picture programs very well and would have tried to do some labeling on the pictures if i could. in the third picture, as you look past the round linkage, you can see where it appears that the bolt goes into the transmission, and just below that is the hole in the braket that i think is supposed to line up with the threaded hole in the transmission.

Trying to line them up does not work, so i assume that i have something wrong. Hopefully someone can help me with this?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post, just trying to relay everything.

Steve

Dart 255.jpg

Dart 257.jpg

Dart 258.jpg

Adam,
I had that diagram in a 68 service manual and looked that over. The braket that i have is not the same as the one in the diagram. In the diagram the holes are in pieces that are 90 degrees from eachother, and mine, the holes are right next to eachother.

Thanks,

STeve

Not to be a smart@ss But, If you would have taken some pics prior to dissasembly you could have referenced them now. I have been trying to do just that more often to eliminate posts like this by me. I know it doesn't help one iota now but, maybe next time it could help you out. I don't have any clue on the brackets either, I have an early a and I am using aftermarket shift cables. Someone here should know exactly what your talking about though. Good luck!

i do lack thoroughness and proper preperation at times, this being one of them. It already has lokar cables, which look easy to put back on, its just that this braket is different from the one in the service manual. I took it off so it must go back on right?

hmm,

i figured out some editing!! So in the new attatched picture that i edited. And hopefully its big enough to read.

Hole A is on the Braket

Hole B is on the transmission

Hole C is on the transmission

Hole A and B need to line up to mount the braket, as the braket is different than those represented in the replies i have gotten.

Hole C is where the braket would mount with the braket that is represented in the replied illustrations.

i'm not sure why the braket that i have is different than the ones shown in the service manuals, but for some reason it is.

My car was orgionally a /6, but was converted to a 273 before i purchased it, maybe that has somethin to do with it.

Another option is that i have a '68 Barracuda at my parents house, and maybe i could check that this weekend and it might have a braket that will work.

thanks again for the help,

Steve

Dart 255.jpg

Dart 259.JPG

For some reason your hole "C" on the trans looks (like the shaft can pop out too EZ). Does it have a locking pin? or...could your shaft be in backwards? If it came apart, it should go back together no problem as long as everything lines up correctly. Try starting with the trans lever and work forward maybe!

i didn't take the linkage that has the shaft on it out of the car, that remained untouched since i pulled everything out. The nylon bushing that the shaft goes through looks like it was worn quite a bit, maybe from an improper alignment. I'm thinking at this point that maybe i will just make a new braket like the ones in the diagrams posted. It looks easy enough, drill 2 holes in some angle iron. I assume that i can adjust some of the linkage if i need to to make sure everything shifts right.

Thanks

Steve

Steve, PM or email your address to me and I will send you the bracket you need like in the pic. It is the same one that I send AdamR. I have a couple more of them.

Chuck
[email protected]

Chuck,

I sent you a pm, now this issue should be solved.

Thank you everyone!

Steve

-
Back