Restoring VIN tag

-

plugger340

Reaction score
What’s the best way to restore a VIN tag that’s had a hard life? The paint is fragile so I don’t want to risk taping the Chrysler emblem before spraying it. One idea was to shoot the tag with clear coat, then tape off the logo, and then finish with black.
Any thoughts?
Also were the plates a satin finish?
IMG_7260.jpeg

You might be able to have a transfer made of the Chrysler logo.

Then strip, paint, transfer, and clear over.

Or you could try single dots of black in the missing places

Those technically/ legally are never supposed to be removed, except under the watchful eye of the gob
From the picture supplied, it is already off the dash.

Make sure you use the correct rosette rivets when reattaching it. Or at the least, use the top portion of it and adhesive to make it look unmolested.

Many have had dashes restored or replaced with an unrusted one by companies, and remove the VIN prior to shipping it to them.

Take a piece of foam and cut it to the shape of the Blue Chrysler Key.

Then hold the foam over the silver Chrysler logo with 2 fingers.

Then take your other hand and favorite can of satin black aerosol, and spray the black part of the VIN.

Lift off the foam piece while the second coat of satin black is still wet, that will help to lay down the masking edge from the foam.

Cheers....

☆☆☆☆☆

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. I modified George Jets suggestion and used a piece of the sticky part of a Post-it note to protect the logo. I attached a piece of masking tape to the paper to help remove it. I think I might hit it with a coat of satin clear to blend the new paint with the old

IMG_7266.jpeg

IMG_7267.jpeg

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. I modified George Jets suggestion and used a piece of the sticky part of a Post-it note to protect the logo. I attached a piece of masking tape to the paper to help remove it. I think I might hit it with a coat of satin clear to blend the new paint with the old

View attachment 1716269031

View attachment 1716269032
Looks good! Now, I'd try using a toothpick or something similar to dab some paint on the bare spots to help blend it in.

That worked really well.

If it was me I would cut the post-it note to follow the shape of the logo closer then reshoot it.

For small black dots a tooth pick and some paint on a paper plate can fill them in

-
Back