SB or BB a body debate

SB 408/440 stroker or a BB 383/440

• SB stroker

Votes: 198 61.3%
  • BB setup

Votes: 125 38.7%

• Total voters
-
Well I have crunched numbers and found that a head/cam/intake 360 is the cheapest route even with H beam rods and SRP forged pistons- it's still cheaper than a 408 kit and heads

SO I'm thinking a built 360 is in order with a 150 shot

RHS heads = the cat's meow. I love mine, and yeah, the 360 is the best bang for the buck, look into Magnums, you get a bunch of extra goodies. :burnout:

Junkyard Magnums are everywhere, picked mine up complete for $300, got a rebuild kit from northern auto, (even though you probably don't need to rebuild the bottom, I just did it as a precaution.) and I went with the bare RHS X heads and reused the magnum valves, used Hughes 1110 springs and junkyard 2.2L k car retainers. Frugal and great. Take you pick on the edelbrock vs crosswind intakes. If you regrind the stock cam you can save some coin, Tim at bulletcams.com did mine, it's a nice piece, 200-250 shipped both ways.

Quite the powerhouse. I haven't taken it to the track yet, there are similar builds that get 11.7 all the time. (JoeDust451, LXguy) Good luck, have fun!

My ex boss just prepped a set of 1.92 RHS head set,Flowed 274@.550 lift,nice heads.You may wanna email 0u812,MRL performance,or RAMM here.All are excellent engine builders,and head porters.Might be cheaper to buy a finished set,than to piece a set in parts.

My ex boss just prepped a set of 1.92 RHS head set,Flowed 274@.550 lift,nice heads.You may wanna email 0u812,MRL performance,or RAMM here.All are excellent engine builders,and head porters.Might be cheaper to buy a finished set,than to piece a set in parts.
the heads I'm going to get will be done pieces - no pieced together stuff -

I had 92 magnum heads LOL gave them to my uncle to put on his 360..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380379120243?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

the heads are the limiting factor.... breathing

SB heads have smaller valves; they can be made larger but cost bucks

BB after market heads with 2.14 intakes will flow better out of the box than highly ported SB heads

however, to mount a BB you will need to spend extra money.

either way, once you decide you can just go with it... :D

however, to mount a BB you will need to spend extra money.

I was told that also when i put the 440 in my cuda..... I got the whole schumacher kit with headers and everything. But after I did mine, a buddy of mine stuck a 440 in his duster and used all stock mounts. He did have to use tti headers tho.

I would recommend a full motor plate instead of the schumacher mounts if you plan on having any kind of power tho. I busted mine really quick and had to go with a solid setup instead of the rubber mounts....

I have a 440 stroked to 493 and love every in of it. works will in my 68 barracuda!

Spark plugs are a bummer with a big block, but that can be solved with a floor jack and a hole saw.

I like old school. It usually equates to reliable as a ROCK. I say build a good hot stock stroke 383 and have a ball.

BB @ 650 HP lives long time....Small Block @650 HP lives shorter life. Bigger engines live longer at a given HP and Torque Level.

Might be cheaper to buy a finished set,than to piece a set in parts.

It's by far, not even close to being cheaper. $100-150 for springs, and the 2.2 keepers were next to free. 1.92 Heads were $640 for the pair from Summit. Valve seals came with my rebuild kit. If you have money to burn, be my guest. I've got to say, it was pretty damn easy to lap the valves in and run it... $750-800 for the set.

They want $1600 assembled? Mighty proud aren't they?

I don't see a whole lot of difference in power on a 360 between the 1.92 vs 2.02. Not to justify twice the price.

Not trying to be a dick here, just giving a helping hand.

It's by far, not even close to being cheaper. $100-150 for springs, and the 2.2 keepers were next to free. 1.92 Heads were $640 for the pair from Summit. Valve seals came with my rebuild kit. If you have money to burn, be my guest. I've got to say, it was pretty damn easy to lap the valves in and run it... $750-800 for the set.

They want $1600 assembled? Mighty proud aren't they?

I don't see a whole lot of difference in power on a 360 between the 1.92 vs 2.02. Not to justify twice the price.

Not trying to be a dick here, just giving a helping hand.
this is good info THANKS!!

No problem, hope I'm not being too dominating here, just like to see hard earned money stay in pockets. The world seems to be designed to take your money, if I've truly helped, press the thanks button. :D

Tear up that street!

No problem, hope I'm not being too dominating here, just like to see hard earned money stay in pockets. The world seems to be designed to take your money, if I've truly helped, press the thanks button. :D

Tear up that street!
I'll probably still go the 2.02" route but will definitely be putting them together myself... plus it gives me an excuse to buy tools :)

Depends on who you see,Poison.The set I saw,the total bill was 1200 and change.Those are fully ported,with a real valve job,and professional porting.If you wanna leave an extra 25 to 40 horsepower and reliability on the table,so be it.I have done the valvelap thing,in works.....for a while.Not tryin to be a dick,back at ya.

IMO the best streetable street/street legal drag car setup is gonna be a small block w/ a good nitrous system.

This way you retain good road manners with a medium engine setup and have the gas for track days.

-
Back