SBE 318 basic rebuild +CAM , INTAKE, HEADS, expectations?

-
put that cam in that there motor with dog water compression and it won't make enough power to pull a sick ***** off a piss pot.

thumpers are for burger cruiser poseurs that buy cams "because they sound cool" or "i want that mean chop at idle".

don't be that guy. or do. if that's like, your bag baby.
Ok.. don't do that passive aggressive ****...
Since I ask the question, you sound like my wife...... suggest a cam!! Honestly..

That is overcame for you.. broooo.. that's less than a thumper lol..
Go for it. Then there's the stout valve spring requirements. Then there's the correct retainers and valve locks. Then there's the machining on the cylinder heads for the springs and the positive seals you have to run and cutting the guides down so the retainers won't hit the guides. Yeah. Run that one.

can't suggest a cam without knowing all the other information. otherwise it's shots in the dark.

but you want my wild *** guess? 450 or lower lift and 260 or under duration on a 112 or narrower LSA, split pattern over a single pattern. based on what you've got there.

i'm not trying to be a **** head, i don't know what your skill set is or how many motors you've built or whatever, but it's pretty well established that .500 lift cams with nearly 280 duration don't do well with small stuff. small cubes, small compression, small gears, small stall.

now take out the trash and finish up the dishes before you go play mopars some more!

Hughes don't give advertised duration where's 280 coming from ?
It's a 224/228 cam on 111 but yes seems fairly aggressive more so than comps xe268h that's like a 224 cam to.

Hughes don't give advertised duration where's 280 coming from ?
It's a 224/228 cam on 111 but yes seems fairly aggressive more so than comps xe268h that's like a 224 cam to.
i guessed based off the @ 50 number that it would be in the mid/high 70's so that's close enough to 280 for me

Those Hughes cams are really race oriented. They beat the snot outta the valve train. I wouldn't use one come hell or high water on a street car.

sm heasds
10 to 1 final
224 230 comp 268 cam rhoads lifters
air gap
650 dp
nitrous
3000 stall
500 lb ft torque
450 hp
3.23s to cruise
3.91s if you want to go 1/4 mile
That's what I am.looking for.... no in between the line infos... straight up.

Appreciate it

Don't forget to have those heads checked out good by a machine shop. @318willrun can tell you all about that.

That's what I am.looking for.... no in between the line infos... straight up.

Appreciate it
my info wasn't between the lines. you asked a very broad question and i gave a loose recommendation based on the info you provided.

low compression small cube motors run **** with big cams. and that's a fact, jack.

but go ahead and copy some recipe that's for a motor with more compression and cubes, let us know how that turns out.

Cylinder pressure is power. If you're not building it then you're not making it so find a cam with an appropriate IVC for the compression you are running for the fuel you're using. The lower the compression the earlier you need to close the valve to compress the mixture.

You can make a low compression motor run good with a big cam, but once the cam gets past a certain size, all bets are off. The 400 in my 75 F250 is a great example. It's a flat 9:1 static compression, blueprinted and measured. I put an old NOS crane Fireball in it. 505/515 228/232 @ .050 on a 108. Really loose ignition curve and vacuum can on manifold vacuum. It'll pull the fillings outta your teeth and the truck has a GVWR of 8100 pounds. Gladys will flat get it for a big old truck. But you have to know when to stop with cam size and you have to know how to tune.

my info wasn't between the lines. you asked a very broad question and i gave a loose recommendation based on the info you provided.

low compression small cube motors run **** with big cams. and that's a fact, jack.

but go ahead and copy some recipe that's for a motor with more compression and cubes, let us know how that turns out.
You sending ******* mixed messages..

No,yes, maybe .
So what is it.
Have YOU done a sbe and added heads, cam etc?
If so I appreciate your experience, as of right now you just bring up " the usual" as a recomendation...

Have YOU done a sbe and added heads, cam etc?
without a doubt. all signs point to yes. it is certain. you may rely on it.

perchance in a previous life, the one before i became three raccoons in a trench coat. idk, man, i've slept since then.

fine, you want more than a "usual recommendation"?

what's your calculated compression ratio (you do know how to calculate this, correct)? what's your cranking PSI? what heads and what do the the chambers cc out at? what intake manifold are you running? what carb? what headers: shorty? tri-y? equal length? fenderwell? i'll assume automatic, so what stall are you going to run? gears? tire height? how do you plan on using the car: stop light eliminator? daily driver? burger crusier that sounds cool at idle?

you come out here looking for a cinderella cam for a big ol' question mark of an engine and then get your chones in a twist when i speak in generalities.

so, concentrate and ask again.

without a doubt. all signs point to yes. it is certain. you may rely on it.

perchance in a previous life, the one before i became three raccoons in a trench coat. idk, man, i've slept since then.

fine, you want more than a "usual recommendation"?

what's your calculated compression ratio (you do know how to calculate this, correct)? what's your cranking PSI? what heads and what do the the chambers cc out at? what intake manifold are you running? what carb? what headers: shorty? tri-y? equal length? fenderwell? i'll assume automatic, so what stall are you going to run? gears? tire height? how do you plan on using the car: stop light eliminator? daily driver? burger crusier that sounds cool at idle?

you come out here looking for a cinderella cam for a big ol' question mark of an engine and then get your chones in a twist when i speak in generalities.

so, concentrate and ask again.
Chones? Are you trying to spell cajones? Are you sure he has some?

Chones? Are you trying to spell cajones? Are you sure he has some?
orale vato, chones. as in your underoos, ese.

one thing's for chure. that motor ain't gonna have no kay-jonesies with a whole *** bucket of duration staked on that crapression. might as well add a grip of lift so that everybody'll be impressed when you're bench racin' out under the awning at the DQ. bet it'll sound **** hot at idle tho.

-
Back