SBE 318 basic rebuild +CAM , INTAKE, HEADS, expectations?

-
You guys are exaggerating...

As I mentioned..
It's a good running motor.
I tested compression with a cheapo. HF tool, and simply to confirm that I don't have a DEATH hole and I don't.
107-115 for a 74' oem engine is not bad.
Btw Battery was weak + a fairly frozen oem Ac compressor and all belts connected...
I easily add 10-15psi , when perfect testing.

And this is simply to cure with most likly new rings.
(Cast =30$ ; moly =42$)
a very easy and reasonable job .

it's a damn worn airpump ( as to expect being from 74' )and it needs upgraded sealing for better compression#
No, we're not. You asked for advice. We're giving it.

You guys are exaggerating...

As I mentioned..
It's a good running motor.
I tested compression with a cheapo. HF tool, and simply to confirm that I don't have a DEATH hole and I don't.
107-115 for a 74' oem engine is not bad.
Btw Battery was weak + a fairly frozen oem Ac compressor and all belts connected...
I easily add 10-15psi , when perfect testing.

(Cast =30$ ; moly =42$)

it's a damn worn airpump ( as to expect being from 74' )and it needs upgraded sealing for better compression#
I'm just saying I wouldn't invest a penny into that 318 of yours if it were me and I would seek out other options, but then again many here know I have zero interest in making a 'teen into something its not. Again for those in the back "I do not like the 318 or 383" lol. Also it is your money and your choice-so have at it. J.Rob

I'm just saying I wouldn't invest a penny into that 318 of yours if it were me and I would seek out other options, but then again many here know I have zero interest in making a 'teen into something its not. Again for those in the back "I do not like the 318 or 383" lol. Also it is your money and your choice-so have at it. J.Rob
I understand that part. And here I struggle as well... it's simply the CUI and the potential

I loved 318's when they were 25 bucks and all I had were slant sixes.
Now days I can't help but see them as a waste of cash.

I loved 318's when they were 25 bucks and all I had were slant sixes.
Now days I can't help but see them as a waste of cash.
That's the only thing why I look into it...
The "what do I have" & Budget.

As mentioned I have a 440 here as well but my Calc. Says it's 2.5k more to make it work.

The Duster is a beater. I'm not trying to make it a show car..
I do it the "roadkill" way and I try to avoid the " other costs" as transmissions and rear ends, etc..
Which the 440 would probably need... all I read is that the torque will eat the 8-1/4 no matter what.

That's the only thing why I look into it...
The "what do I have" & Budget.

As mentioned I have a 440 here as well but my Calc. Says it's 2.5k more to make it work.

The Duster is a beater. I'm not trying to make it a show car..
I do it the "roadkill" way and I try to avoid the " other costs" as transmissions and rear ends, etc..
Which the 440 would probably need... all I read is that the torque will eat the 8-1/4 no matter what.
don't worry bout the 318 hate.... do what you want and your budget will allow... rather have a driving car with a 318 than a dream sitting on jackstands.

don't worry bout the 318 hate.... do what you want and your budget will allow... rather have a driving car with a 318 than a dream sitting on jackstands.

applause gif.gif

^^^ 1000% this.

snap that bish together and don't over cam it or over carb it. voo-doo science juice box back yard tweaks on the trans and roll that puppy while you build out another motor or collect parts for the chonk block swap.

summer's rapidly coming to an end hombre, and darla down there at the DQ is fixin' to head off to college so you best get some wheels goin' if you wanna get to make out point.

The old tired motor probably needs a rebuild, not just rings. If it had good compression in the first place, we could assume it's a healthy enough starting point(as long it does not burn oil and make bad noises.).
(Cast =30$ ; moly =42$)
Trust those who have had their hands on junk like this before. You might get lucky and just need rings and some honing, but don't count on that being the only issue.
You are pulling the motor out anyway, so check everything and make sure your tolerances are within spec. Get the short block assembly in good shape before you start bolting on go fast parts, because doing the job twice sucks sometimes.

I must admit though, I'd like to see someone with your talents whoop up a stock stroke hot 318.

Nobody hates 318's. They just can't make much power on a small budget. The same small budget can make
good power with a 360.

No doubt a 300 hp 318 vs 360 or 350 hp 318 vs 360, 400 hp 318 vs 360 etc.. Most are gonna prefer the 360. But if you have a decent running 318 there's no reason not to throw some parts on her to get an easy 250-300 hp, above that 318 don't make sense but is very capable if one chooses to make good power just gonna come with some compromises and if your ok with that, all the power to ya.

If 40 cid is too big of a gap for making power then 80-100 cid gap a 440 has over 340-360 would mean all small blocks make no sense.

Ford guys love the 302, 5.3 LS is probably the most popular swap, a 318 size does have more than enough potential if one chooses for whatever reason.

Does it make the most sense in this particular instance, since he's pulling the engine probably not, but it's his choice.

Here's a head shootout on a 302/306 with 9.##:1 cr, xe264hr cam same as the 350/360 hp 5.9l magnum
had, air gap and headers, made least 306 hp with stock heads (similar to 318 heads) and most 396 hp with AFRs.

Shows without going crazy on cam 212/218 .512" 114 and good heads you can make good power even with a 306.

Same cam as 306, 350 hp 5.9l think he got to 360 hp with an air gap on engine masters.

No doubt a 300 hp 318 vs 360 or 350 hp 318 vs 360, 400 hp 318 vs 360 etc.. Most are gonna prefer the 360. But if you have a decent running 318 there's no reason not to throw some parts on her to get an easy 250-300 hp, above that 318 don't make sense but is very capable if one chooses to make good power just gonna come with some compromises and if your ok with that, all the power to ya.

If 40 cid is too big of a gap for making power then 80-100 cid gap a 440 has over 340-360 would mean all small blocks make no sense.

Ford guys love the 302, 5.3 LS is probably the most popular swap, a 318 size does have more than enough potential if one chooses for whatever reason.

Does it make the most sense in this particular instance, since he's pulling the engine probably not, but it's his choice.
It's all out already and decreased,
Possibly waiting to finish the 440.
Heads should be ready next week.
Before I dig into the 318.
Rockauto makes it easy on basic parts and gaskets.

Btw a loose motor is a happy motor.
Learned that from a small unknown local friend and shop I was working part time as a young buck ( Reher Morrison).
New rings will be added anyways.
Which means I can do tge bearings and rear main seal as well.

20240816_080746.jpg

Learned that from a small unknown local friend and shop I was working part time as a young buck ( Reher Morrison).

View attachment 1716290270
check the cam bearings.. they tend to literally fall apart depending on the year...

If the Ford guys can hop up a 302, then the Mopar guys can do the same with a 318. Hotrodding is hotrodding no matter what you are hotrodding.

View attachment 1716290270
I wonder what surprises are inside? Lol.

If the Ford guys can hop up a 302, then the Mopar guys can do the same with a 318. Hotrodding is hotrodding no matter what you are hotrodding.

I wonder what surprises are inside? Lol.
thats a comment of my Kind .. Hotrodding is about what you have and make it work... And yes i can throw some decent parts on it within MY BUDGET
a Hughes Cam is 200 $ *
looking at this cam
https://www.hughesengines.com/Index...dWxpYw==&level3=U3RyZWV0L1N0cmlw&partid=30241

Air Gap Intake on ebay 130$,
SM Heads 1050$ ,
HEI dizzy 45 $
internals Like rings, Bearings for crank and Rods ( enginetech 35$ / 15$)
FT lifters 55$
and misc parts 200$

as you see fairly reasonable .. i have a 4150 750cfm here i will send out for rebuild with my local shop here..( 250$)

engine had a MSD BLASTER 2 coil thats still good... I have a new FP and a Dakota Starter... so not a bad start i

me, literally 11 posts ago: don't over cam it

you: yes, hello, i would like to over cam this.

the only thing redeeming about that cam is that it's on a 111 and not a 114 and it doesn't have 290+ duration.
That is overcame for you.. broooo.. that's less than a thumper lol..

Had to get some new tires for the turd...
275/60/15
205/65/15
Aces hardwares best of tge best SATIN BLACK spray paint +
Poverty cap look..
That screams
Mmmmerican muscle.!!!!

Just need to. Black out treatment the hood and accents, and maybe the tail light panel , tgen clear coat tge whole thing.
drop the rear 2in.
The front as well ...

Aaaannnd a LS ,uuups meant a MOPAR powerplant lol.

20240816_182714.jpg

Had to get some new tires for the turd...
275/60/15
205/65/15
Aces hardwares best of tge best SATIN BLACK spray paint +
Poverty cap look..
That screams
Mmmmerican muscle.!!!!

Just need to. Black out treatment the hood and accents, and maybe the tail light panel , tgen clear coat tge whole thing.
drop the rear 2in.
The front as well ...

Aaaannnd a LS ,uuups meant a MOPAR powerplant lol.

View attachment 1716290330
you get the tires local or order em? i am looking to get fronts for mine

That is overcame for you.. broooo.. that's less than a thumper lol..
put that cam in that there motor with dog water compression and it won't make enough power to pull a sick ***** off a piss pot.

thumpers are for burger cruiser poseurs that buy cams "because they sound cool" or "i want that mean chop at idle".

don't be that guy. or do. if that's like, your bag baby.

-
Back