SBE 318 basic rebuild +CAM , INTAKE, HEADS, expectations?

-
He should redo the bottom end.
No matter how you look at it... its gonna cost 2k when he's done with stock heads n bottom end , stock style rebuild.
No squeeze is dead in the water.
107psi is as weak as a chili fart from a fat broads dump hole.
You're preachin to the choir, brother. I tried to call you a while back no answer. You doin ok?

Damn it ..come on Mopar world ...lol
Hay, you asked. I think the high dollar ones are boosheet. I wouldn't pay it. As long as you have your junk at stock ride height, you're good with the cheap headers. I've run lots of them. I can have a pair on an a body....well ok, I'm old and wore out now, but when I wasn't I could have a pair on in about two hours. It's just not that hard to do and you'll be hard pressed to see a difference in the butt meter from the thousand buck ones.

I haven't read 3 pages, but if you do not want a cam/lifter failure, have your original lifters re-faced. Do not use any modern day FT lifters, they are made from crapanium....

Red x
Different torque converter, different pan, different driver side mount. Have to add the cost of those. Then to make that 360 run, a rebuild to get rid of the dished pistons to help compression , for beginners, no, keep the 318 for a cruiser. Better bang for the buck.
Unless there's something truly wrong with it like a rod knock, rod thru clock, locked up, etc. Then maybe consider a 360 if one happens to pop up...
I did mention getting the proper flex plate($50) for the converter he has to work..also mentioned the motor mount($2 fix).. bang for the buck is what he's going for and the 360 is a better bang for the buck.. and as far as compression his current engine has like 108psi.... so it needs to be addressed anyway..
tumblr_mibgniQ3ZM1rgpgeto1_500.gif

on a 9.5:1 318 with ported 302's and a MP P4452761 (.450/.455 268/272 110LSA) with a performer RPM and 750 3310 i laid down a respectable 330hp @ 5750

with aftermarket heads and a airgap, i don't see why you couldn't be in the 350 range as long as keep the compression up. chasing much more than that requires a bigger cam that will only lessen the street manners while narrowing the power band and move it higher in the RPM range.

fwiw, a melling MTD-1 would come in fairly similar numbers wise and would be a good VFM pick if you're not going for all out power.
spray traction 3.91s it would be a great sleeper

Just go buy a new Camaro,,and make payments.....JUST A JOKE !!!! :lol:

mmmhh
those 360 heads just came up locally..
owner has no info...
valves are definitly upgraded to 2.02s
look like new valve springs/probably stock repalcements
and it looks like they where milled i think?

Dodge 360 heads w/2.02 valves
You upgrading the pistons for more cr ?

2.02 valve don't mean much if they didn't do the bowl work to make use of them.

Don't 360 heads on a 318 lower compression even more? thought i had read that...

Don't 360 heads on a 318 lower compression even more? thought i had read that...
You can mill them to the stock chamber size of the 318 head, so no gain or loss of cr but that's extra $$$ to spend.

If I was going to change heads on a low compression Teen, I would at least use closed chambered heads. Save all the compression you can.

I don't know why were trying to make this 318 work you got a 440, at best get 318 running with minimum cost gather all the parts needed for the swap then swap, or just start the swap now and have it ready for spring.

There's nothing wrong if you got a decent running 318 and add 4bbl cam headers to it but once you want to go more then that, you need different heads and generally higher cr pistons and if going that far might as well start with a 360 core.

If you really want to stick with a sbm, I do magnum truck idea someone mentioned, test the compression, hear it run, better chance starting with a decent core.

I don't know why were trying to make this 318 work you got a 440, at best get 318 running with minimum cost gather all the parts needed for the swap then swap, or just start the swap now and have it ready for spring.

There's nothing wrong if you got a decent running 318 and add 4bbl cam headers to it but once you want to go more then that, you need different heads and generally higher cr pistons and if going that far might as well start with a 360 core.

If you really want to stick with a sbm, I do magnum truck idea someone mentioned, test the compression, hear it run, better chance starting with a decent core.
Makes sense..
440 requires the swap pan, mounts headers and trans .. that alone is 2k.
Tge 8-1/4 rear will not hold up(.I heard) so another 2k in rear end upgrade.
(Car cost me 1k)
But yea I get what you saying.

My thought was to sell the BB instead of adding more $.
Then use half the $ to make work what I got.

Since I'm pulling the engine anyways I can easily put new rings and bearings for 150$.to the SBE.

Then add cam but here I have to upgrade the 318 heads and that is in my view not worth it.
The SM heads cost 1000$roughly.
And have 65cc good runners and have valve springs up to .600 lift.

AND just to elaborate here, I had SM BBC and sbc heads I had both checked and the hardware is much better than what it was.... and worked really good.
It's also simple to explain.. when thinking about it... do you think SM would still be in business in such a competitive market if the stuff is all crap?
Across mopar, gm ,ford new and old engines the product is working....is it the best??? No but for the price you can't beat the heads castings.
Again... it's a street car I'm looking for 350hp. The 904 trans will take it and the rear end too

Again... it's a street car I'm looking for 350hp. The 904 trans will take it and the rear end too
350 hp no big deal, 318 heads aren't gonna do it, any 340/360/magnum heads will depending on the head cam need will vary something in the 220-225° range should do it with 600-750, air gap and headers and at least 9:1 cr. 318 or 360 should do it just the 318 gonna spin like 400-600 higher rpm to do it needing deeper gears and higher stall to get similar performance.

These are 360's a 318 will respond similar just at higher rpm.

Holdner needs to do some 318 videos to show what can actually be done with like trickflows and my cam/intake (just want free dyno time) :)

This is a 302 vs 327 vs 350 Chev, pretty much identical builds the 350 has a hydraulic cam instead of solid like the other two but gives an idea how different displacements will act with similar parts. These 3 make the same peak hp, that's not always the case.

1723739516205.png

Holdner needs to do some 318 videos to show what can actually be done with like trickflows and my cam/intake (just want free dyno time) :)
I asked him to do a 318 vs 360 shootout, he didn't see the point in doing it.

350 hp no big deal, 318 heads aren't gonna do it, any 340/360/magnum heads will depending on the head cam need will vary something in the 220-225° range should do it with 600-750, air gap and headers and at least 9:1 cr. 318 or 360 should do it just the 318 gonna spin like 400-600 higher rpm to do it needing deeper gears and higher stall to get similar performance.

These are 360's a 318 will respond similar just at higher rpm.

Nice ...the rest will be NITROUS HAHAHHA... 120shot

-
Back