SBE 318 basic rebuild +CAM , INTAKE, HEADS, expectations?

-
Yeah... i wish i lived in paradise.. sadly.. i'm here...
Not looking to good over here either.

1723740486626.png

Nice ...the rest will be NITROUS HAHAHHA... 120shot
The gain from using the 2.02s out weighs the comp loss i did it with a 68 318 street hemi cam 2.02 j heads torker 650 dp nitrous
Had more torque then a 440
375 is cheap if t was rebuilt right
speed master heads is the way to go

MMAAAAANNNN
im sorry but i have to give you MOPAR A-Body folks some serious ****... ( i guess im one of you now...)
Does anybody know the adress of the Engineers that designed a Starter that is as big as the engine on the Driver side , and i also need the contact infos of the header manufacturing engineers for this longtube SB headers that require teh Steering linkage to be removed since they route in between them and also HUG the starter and OIL filter on the pass side... really good ******* job to make people want to chevy swap this cars lol...

20240815_160834.jpg

MMAAAAANNNN
im sorry but i have to give you MOPAR A-Body folks some serious ****... ( i guess im one of you now...)
Does anybody know the adress of the Engineers that designed a Starter that is as big as the engine on the Driver side , and i also need the contact infos of the header manufacturing engineers for this longtube SB headers that require teh Steering linkage to be removed since they route in between them and also HUG the starter and OIL filter on the pass side... really good ******* job to make people want to chevy swap this cars lol...
welcome to moparlandia. if we wanted it easy, we woulda bought a chevy or ford.

Lol you like to punshish yourselves.. whhyyyyyy ahahh
Btw I am BUICK geek and thought that was stupid... you got Buick beat ahah.
I worked at a Buick dealer for 13 years. I could tell you stories. :rofl:

Don't 360 heads on a 318 lower compression even more? thought i had read that...
Sure does, just put a stock piston teen together out of parts I had laying around.
Measured compression came out at static 7.5:1, so bottom basement for compression, heads were fresh J's with a mild .010" off to ensure flatness.
It will be fine throwing a 6-71 on it for fun, so low compression does not bother me, it should live unless I get greedy with the pulleys.

Sure does, just put a stock piston teen together out of parts I had laying around.
Measured compression came out at static 7.5:1, so bottom basement for compression, heads were fresh J's with a mild .010" off to ensure flatness.
It will be fine throwing a 6-71 on it for fun, so low compression does not bother me, it should live unless I get greedy with the pulleys.
That's a very reasonable approach I like it;)

That's a very reasonable approach I like it;)
It most likely will end up a sacrificial lamb, with the bottom end having cast pistons, but I did open the compression rings up, dip the block, had the crank turned, studed the heads. At least to give it a chance.

Lol you like to punshish yourselves.. whhyyyyyy ahahh
Btw I am BUICK geek and thought that was stupid... you got Buick beat ahah.
Buick motors back in the day were total badassary. I've said for years that had Buick made an F body like the Camaro of Firebird, it couldda been a Hemi killer. A Buick F body with a 430 and a 4 speed.

It most likely will end up a sacrificial lamb, with the bottom end having cast pistons, but I did open the compression rings up, dip the block, had the crank turned, studed the heads. At least to give it a chance.
If you run it "a little" fat, you'll be surprised how long it'll last.

checked on the OEM engine and its a runner with good compression ( all Cylinders are max 8psi apart and between 107-115psi
Not good compression, this may become a money pit. Plan things wisely.

Last edited:
Buick motors back in the day were total badassary. I've said for years that had Buick made an F body like the Camaro of Firebird, it couldda been a Hemi killer. A Buick F body with a 430 and a 4 speed.
i had a 65 GS with the nail head backed up with a 4spd and that thing was no slouch for what it was.

never met a corner it liked in its life though!

i had a 65 GS with the nail head backed up with a 4spd and that thing was no slouch for what it was.

never met a corner it liked in its life though!
The later buick engines only drawback was that they had EVERYTHING in the timing cover. Oil pump, fuel pump and distributor and water pump. So, lots of times you had bolt holes striped and wallowed out. I think I remember that they are also the lightest of all the big blocks. The 455 just had incredible torque. Over 500LBFT.

The later buick engines only drawback was that they had EVERYTHING in the timing cover. Oil pump, fuel pump and distributor and water pump. So, lots of times you had bolt holes striped and wallowed out. I think I remember that they are also the lightest of all the big blocks. The 455 just had incredible torque. Over 500LBFT.
i know that story all too well. ah the joys of taking apart the timing cover twice to repair a rope seal...

i had a 73 Century Regal with a 455 that was an absolute monster. enough torque to separate your head from your spinal column. after i blew up the first engine, i built a second one with a crower RV cam and riviera heads for better compression. headers were a no go and a stage 2 intake may as well have been cast in pure gold, so it stayed with the stock q-jet.

tuned up and ready to rumble, it'd scratch 2nd if i wound it out and bump shifted the column. TH400 and a posi from the factory on a grandma's car no less. it'd burn the tires clear off the rims if you wanted to let at it.

Why are you using a big starter? Tiny starters have been around for about 40 years now...

Why are you using a big starter? Tiny starters have been around for about 40 years now...
thats the starter that was on it...
i had to pull the engine to get the header off that holds this big piece of S*** encaptured on the block...

i have a Dakota Mini starter already

I agree. Full stop if that were me. J.Rob
You guys are exaggerating...

As I mentioned..
It's a good running motor.
I tested compression with a cheapo. HF tool, and simply to confirm that I don't have a DEATH hole and I don't.
107-115 for a 74' oem engine is not bad.
Btw Battery was weak + a fairly frozen oem Ac compressor and all belts connected...
I easily add 10-15psi , when perfect testing.

And this is simply to cure with most likly new rings.
(Cast =30$ ; moly =42$)
a very easy and reasonable job .

it's a damn worn airpump ( as to expect being from 74' )and it needs upgraded sealing for better compression#

-
Back