SBM Port Molds

-
I’ll avoid the post so maybe that will help keep things calm. Good luck
My comments were intended to lighten the mood. Sometimes my comedy falls flat.

That is a shame, because you have a lot to offer. You are welcome in my posts anytime. You are a blessing to most around here.

Here's my confusion and questions. I can see how the dry flow on a flow bench can be improved with these changes. Wet flow with fuel is a different story. Fuel (especially the big drops) wants to travel in a straight line. How does the fuel react to all these twists and turns? Does a TF head perform any better than a max effort ported Edelbrock? Not much info out there that I could find. I have found some reference to a TF engine liking 30-32 degrees of timing. That would indicate a more efficient burn than the normal 36ish degree SBM engine.

Thoughts are welcome, but I really don't want to sleep in the bunker again tonight.
What kind of power are people getting with ported Edelbrocks vs similar built TF engines, seems like TF are good for 500-550 hp in average street strip trim, before TF seemed like people were getting 450-475 hp and into the 500 hp with ported Edelbrocks.

Not being a head porter, the one thing I hear from head porters is “Line of Sight” for the flow path and with the bigger droplets, this will be the case. Since the air itself does t like to turn because air has weight, the fuel is even heavier and has an issue turning. This is where the line of sight becomes more important.

On a TF vs Edelbrock vs SM head, each of there pro’s and cons as cast and ported. It seems to me (don’t truly know for sure, but…) others (head porters) have found an advantage with the SM heads having more metal to remove in spots where the Edelbrock doesn’t. So… if true, as an age to the SM heads in ported for. As to the cost effectiveness of this, IDK?

I also don’t know how far others have ported the TF heads or any numbers off hand of those that have done so.

What kind of power are people getting with ported Edelbrocks vs similar built TF engines, seems like TF are good for 500-550 hp in average street strip trim, before TF seemed like people were getting 450-475 hp and into the 500 hp with ported Edelbrocks.

Define average street trim please.

Last edited:
This is know via video watching or posts by those that have done it?
Yes you know that it is, I knew this post was probably coming :)

That's why I said "seems" there could be and probably are engines that fall outside these power numbers but this what I've seen with the somewhat limit builds I've looked at that fit what OP talking about. He can investigate it further or others might bring up other examples that confirm and or contradict.

My point was find similar builds with the heads he wants to compare, look at the power curves among other metrics, not just to go by my observations.

Yes you know that it is, I knew this post was probably coming :)

That's why I said "seems" there could be and probably are engines that fall outside these power numbers but this what I've seen with the somewhat limit builds I've looked at that fit what OP talking about. He can investigate it further or others might bring up other examples that confirm and or contradict.

My point was find similar builds with the heads he wants to compare, look at the power curves among other metrics, not just to go by my observations.

Edited the response, thanks for yours clearing it up, just double checking, edited response below,….

Of course any street engine can be run down a track and be called street strip.

But what I see as average street strip type engine is 10-10.5 cr, 245 ish cam, headers, airgap or single plane, to me seems like the general recipe obviously some run more or less cam and cr but seems to average around there.

Average street to me is over 400 cubes, 10.4:1 comp, 300 plus cfm head, 557 cam , single plane 750DP and at least a 4.10 gear and 4800 stall convertor. lol

Average street to me is over 400 cubes, 10.4:1 comp, 300 plus cfm head, 557 cam , single plane 750DP and at least a 4.10 gear and 4800 stall convertor. lol
That probably is it if you average what people are racing, I just mean if you were to build a street strip version of a /6 273 318 289 302 340 350 360 383 408 440 454 460 etc..

Wow! OK then. Is I know where your coming from.

-
Back