Selling parts and lack of manners.

-
If you need to check out some details, whether it's shipping cost or if the part really does fit your car or beg the spouse for cash, you need to have a clear understanding with the seller that either you have right of first refusal for a reasonable amount of time (24 hours) or that he will sell to first person that says "I'll take it!".

If I have good pics of a part I'm selling with a good discription, and the first guy wants more information pics and will let me know in a day it might be too late if the second guy says I'll take it! I've been burned more than a few times waiting for the first guy to make a move. I've lost out on nice parts also mostly because I was thinking it over while someone else pulled the trigger, I wouldn't get mad at the seller cash is king

Xs3. The time to buy something is when it is in front of you.

I always have a stash of cash set back so I can buy what I want should it show up. If something shows up that I don't have the cash for then I don't bother contacting the seller. If I had to go ask my wife every time I want to buy something I would never get anything because it would be long gone.

You also never knows the seller's need since he might be selling the part to save his house, feed his family or pay bills.

I have been selling Mopars and parts since 1985.I have NEVER sold a car or part to a Guy who says "Let me talk to the Wife",I guess the answer is always no.If I sell parts or a car on the Net I will give the Guy a day to think about it.If they call me on the phone it is first come first serve,I have had way too many people call and not show up.Now I usually say call me when you are in the car and on the way,that is the only way I will wait for someone to show up.Also a deposit goes along way.Just too many clowns out there.....

jim

If I'm asking for a shipping cost. I'm a buyer. Maybe it's just me but that is how I operate.

The other side of that coin is everybody and their brother wants a shipping quote only to never hear back from them. When I get a quote I don't jack it up. That's why I never post parts online for sale anymore it to much of a pain in the ***.

Ok, so here's the problem I keep having as a seller! I list a part, I get a message right away cause I must be selling at a good price, I message the first guy in line and mark him as the buyer and ask for his zip! Boom, 3 other people say ill take it too before I can even get to the thread to post a sale pending on the item post! I post sale pending in the thread but maybe not everybody reads that, so people who messaged saying ill take it may not know that! Next thing you know, there are 7 people (true) who want the part while I was posting a sale pending in the thread!

Do I have to message everybody personally to alert them of their place in line? From my phone? And then go through the 300 messages I have in my message folder and delete the 6 from this sale, the 3 from the previous 27 sales, all from my phone?

And because everybody is following the rules much better now, no one is posting a "PM Sent" to mark their place in line on the thread, so other than my post, which may or not be read, there appears to be no interest at all in the item!!

Happening just about every listing now, and I'm only listing a couple items at a time!! What should I do the make the masses happy?......

The other side of that coin is everybody and their brother wants a shipping quote only to never hear back from them. When I get a quote I don't jack it up. That's why I never post parts online for sale anymore it to much of a pain in the ***.
Its only smart to get a shipping quote before buying anything.( I'm sure you do the same thing.) As a seller I package the part up weigh it, I can then get a shipping quote on line with just your zip or postal code. And as a buyer I've received many things only to find out the shipping was jacked up by 500%. So now I always ask "how much is shipping and handling" for everything that I buy. And expect no less from anyone buying from me. Its a part of doing business.

i have found that if you INCLUDE shipping costs IN THE PRICE , guess what ? it weeds out all shipping cost questions.
if someone wants to buy something from me , my shipping is ALWAYS included in the price. I generally give someone 24 hours , to give me an answer , then I move on, BUT I let them know , I am moving on. I have never had an issue selling one single thing with this method

I figure that if I'm interested in something, then there's probably a dozen other people interested too. So if I see something I want then I pull the trigger right away. I can't expect the seller to wait around for me to decide.

I run an ebay store at work and i would say at least a couple of times a week a customer will spend a day or two asking certain questions and or deciding wheather or not they want a certain part. By the time they decide the part is long gone. Sorry

Its only smart to get a shipping quote before buying anything.( I'm sure you do the same thing.) As a seller I package the part up weight it, I can then get a shipping quote on line with just your zip or postal code. And as a buyer I've received many things only to find out the shipping was jacked up by 500%. So now I always ask "how much is shipping and handling" for everything that I buy. And expect no less from anyone buying from me. Its a part of doing business.

That's not the point...The point is people blowing smoke only to never hear from them again. Like asking for more pictures when the ones you posted are as good as it gets.

The terms of a sale is always dictated by the seller.............He has every right to sell to anyone he wants to or set conditions for a sale anyway acceptable to him.

That's it, and what I was going to say to cosig.
It's not your responsibility to inform everyone what number in line they are, only thier responsibility to control thier emotions over not getting what they wanted.

Ok, so here's the problem I keep having as a seller! I list a part, I get a message right away cause I must be selling at a good price, I message the first guy in line and mark him as the buyer and ask for his zip! Boom, 3 other people say ill take it too before I can even get to the thread to post a sale pending on the item post! I post sale pending in the thread but maybe not everybody reads that, so people who messaged saying ill take it may not know that! Next thing you know, there are 7 people (true) who want the part while I was posting a sale pending in the thread!

Do I have to message everybody personally to alert them of their place in line? From my phone? And then go through the 300 messages I have in my message folder and delete the 6 from this sale, the 3 from the previous 27 sales, all from my phone?

And because everybody is following the rules much better now, no one is posting a "PM Sent" to mark their place in line on the thread, so other than my post, which may or not be read, there appears to be no interest at all in the item!!

Happening just about every listing now, and I'm only listing a couple items at a time!! What should I do the make the masses happy?......

i have found that if you INCLUDE shipping costs IN THE PRICE , guess what ? it weeds out all shipping cost questions.
if someone wants to buy something from me , my shipping is ALWAYS included in the price. I generally give someone 24 hours , to give me an answer , then I move on, BUT I let them know , I am moving on. I have never had an issue selling one single thing with this method

Me too.
It's WAY less hassle, because you only have to look it up once, and there can't be any disagreement about shipping costs.

That's good, but what if the buyer is in Germany or down under?

If you are a buyer and you can read you already know where the part is coming from and you can figure your own shipping estimate. If the seller tries to gouge you on shipping then call his *** on it in the public forum.

Just my two cents.

I have been on both sides of the fence

Lately as a seller i post up the ad and get a a lot of people asking for shipping quotes. I usually take the first one and give him a quote. Then sit, however i have had many people that never reply back as to which way they will go with the item. Lately if i remember i try to get a read receipt when i send a quote. As soon as i see it has been read i give them a day and i move to the next and send a quote to next in line and keep progressing down the line.
This method gets very frustrating, but i feel its the best method. I look at every pm as a tire kicker and do not take them seriously until i have the cash in my hand.
I have also been burned by people that say they will take an item and then never pay or never hear back from them while the part sits on the shelf ready to go out while i use my courtesy.
I was very frustrated a few weeks back and when I got caught up with all the shipping of stuff and pms. I had to take a break from even replying or logging into the site because i was so frustrated with all the tire kicking and doing quotes. I try to ship the cheapest way possible so i always try to tuck a bunch of parts together when possible so nothing is boxed up until i make up a quote hoping to save the buyer money.
Most of the parts i have up for sale is money i need to get the last items for my car, but the last few months it was about rent money and groceries. So this is where cash has been talking more then waiting around.
I have also found that selling parts can get very stressful at times when you have a lot of parts listed at the same time.

That's good, but what if the buyer is in Germany or down under?

If you are a buyer and you can read you already know where the part is coming from and you can figure your own shipping estimate. If the seller tries to gouge you on shipping then call his *** on it in the public forum.

Just my two cents.

in my adds , I state that my price is including shipping in the lower 48. I will ship only to Canada after getting a quote, but that is it. so far , I have not sent anything out of the states

Why must you waste everyone's time?Do you really expect someone to say no when the next guy has the cash in hand?I have sold parts to the buyer while another cheap bastard was holding it in his hand whinning about the price.You have sold nothing until the money is in your hand.Hobby all you want but a Franklin buy's the merchandise

And because everybody is following the rules much better now, no one is posting a "PM Sent" to mark their place in line on the thread, so other than my post, which may or not be read , there appears to be no interest at all in the item!!

don't really have an iron in this fire but I do see this pretty frequent, not just in sale ads. seems like many folks don't bother to read any of the previous posts.

in my adds , I state that my price is including shipping in the lower 48. I will ship only to Canada after getting a quote, but that is it. so far , I have not sent anything out of the states

You see Lance, that would be great if I were only selling one part at a time, but many is the time, especially recently, when a buyer will say ill take it, then in PMs will ask if I also have this or that, and I do so I work out a bigger box, maybe completely different in shape and size to accommodate a completely different part, and end up packing everything twice, or more!

I currently have a member who is needing multiple items now, 6 to be exact, that range from 52" long headliner bows to 20" wide rear panels, and 4 other items that will fit into that box! I would love to box up every item I have just once and shelve it all and just grab the box and go, but it ain't that easy! I'm in the business of helping members get the parts they need for their cars, and if it means making these jigsaw puzzle packages work, that's what I do!

Why does this matter to the thread at hand? Well, its taken me and the buyer over a week to consummate this deal and it ain't done yet, so in the interest of this thread, what should I do if there were other buyers who wanted the original item? Should I message them all, or just post in a thread contrary to the wishes of the threads intended message?

My main complaint is not being given the chance to pull the trigger! Cheeze and rice,give a guy one day at least!! In MANy tries here at a purchase,I didnt even get the one days consideration or first in line courtesay. Well seeing how cash is king,if Im in line behind someone at the brocery store and the person ahead of me doesnt have thier wallet out yet,Im just gonna skip ahead and get served first...thats the message here...and if it's a waste of your time to read this,then dont reply because your wasting more of your preciouse"time" lol...

One day to hold a part your on the bubble about when someone pulls the trigger before you? I don't think so. What happens after a day? You come back and say my wife said I can't buy it... in the mean time I put one, two or more guys in a holding pattern waiting for your decision?

I don't sell a whole lot of parts but I can tell you in my experience. The "give me a day or two to think about it " usually turns into a sale less than 25% of the time and most of the time I never even get a curtasy call back saying I don't want it!

My main complaint is not being given the chance to pull the trigger! Cheeze and rice,give a guy one day at least!! In MANy tries here at a purchase,I didnt even get the one days consideration or first in line courtesay. Well seeing how cash is king,if Im in line behind someone at the brocery store and the person ahead of me doesnt have thier wallet out yet,Im just gonna skip ahead and get served first...thats the message here...and if it's a waste of your time to read this,then dont reply because your wasting more of your preciouse"time" lol...

As I said before the seller may need the money immediately to pay his bills or buy another part so waiting around for you to decide while others are ready to step up to the plate and do the deal may cause him a hardship or to miss a part.

This isn't Walmart. You had the chance to pull the trigger or enter serious negotiations when you contacted the seller. If the seller agreed to wait an agreed time then he should do it but otherwise he owes you nothing. If there is no agreement and he wants to wait then he can but if he wants to sell the part than he can.

Have you ever been to a garage sale or a flea market and had to go ask your wife if you could buy something then go back to find someone else buying/bought it? I have been on both sides of that coin and when I didn't get pull the trigger when I had the chance it was my fault not the sellers.

I can't fault any seller that chooses not to wait around unless serious
negotiations are going on.

I don't sell a whole lot of parts but I can tell you in my experience. The "give me a day or two to think about it " usually turns into a sale less than 25% of the time and most of the time I never even get a curtasy call back saying I don't want it!

That must happen a whole lot because a lot of the time I am 3rd to 5th in line on a part and I still end up buying it a few days later.

There are lookers and there are buyers.
The first guy with cash enough to suit the seller is the buyer.

My $0.02

It's either Yes or No.And should someone wait to eat or wait to pay bills while your wife makes her mind up?Some of these guy's sell parts for a living,how about some consideration for them?

-
Back