Setting up a Duster

-

808 DUSTER

Reaction score
im curious how people would set up a 1972 Duster. I would like to run 12's with street trim. what i have to work with now is a
383HP,
compcams 280h cam,
compcams 1.6 roller rockers
holley 4160-4224 center squirter carb with #85 jet
eddy performer dual plane
906 heads (new valves, springs, bowl work, gasket match and milled to give 80cc chamber).
1-3/4 shorty headers,
10 inch 3000 stall turbo action converter, 3.55 gears
26inch X 8inch tires.

I am working on some tuning issues right now, once i get this resolved i will post a current 1/4 time.

i would be interested to see some peoples set ups as a comaprison.

I have stated in your other thread on rear suspension this work well enough for a start and will cost you very little in fact you can just take the camps off behind the axle and try just that to start.the shems you can ad later and for tires if you have a dirt track in your area that runs sprint cars you can get your tires free if you ask the right ones.I have and still do get them off the front of those cars and I will be willing to bet they will get you hooked.most of the big name guys only run them for warm ups and time laps then put new ones on to race.the old ones usually get put up next to there holler and left behind or just ask them because the boys that help run the track in will scarf them up..and don't let anyone tell you they're not safe ya I no there not DOT approved but the way I look at it if they run them at 170 mph at Hagerstown speedway on a track that is hard to walk across at times.they can dam sure handle anything I can throw at them.I have mounted them tubeless but I feel better with one.and for that you want a racing or radial tube put in with plenty of baby powder.(I have even run them in the winter they make a hell of good snow tire)so anyways they will fit under an A Body with very little effort.and that can be tested in your driveway to see if it makes a difference.and I hoping you have a 8 3/4 rear because the little one won't take much of them..Try that It will only take you 10 min's with a big screw driver or channel locks and let me know how you make out......know if you have S/S springs that's another ball game....Artie

#2 the front if you have worn out oem shocks on it let them there.hopefully they are the ones filled with oil? if they are and are really good ones.drill. a hole in the top of them and pull half the oil out of them (top only after pushed all the way down)that's what we called a poor mans 90/10.then put a small short screw or a tack weld on or over the hole.put a little silicone on the treads of the screw and you will have to let it set to get hard or set up.if you have a sway bar unhook one side for now tell you see which way you're going with it.NOW is all this SAFE well I have never had any trouble doing it but then again I wasn't going into turns as hard as it would go..as far as handling I don't think you will see much of a difference in it at normal driving......I'm sure I will get bashed for this..but I have never or will I tell you something that I haven't done or that will get you heart under normal driving conditions................Artie

One thing at a time,change carb first(as mentioned)then run the car to see where your at.Stock suspension will handle your HP range.Just sayin..

Artie, this is one of them guys that asks the same question over and over again until he hears what he wants to hear. You told him once all ready, screw'em, let him learn the hard way with mistakes.

Artie, this is one of them guys that asks the same question over and over again until he hears what he wants to hear. You told him once all ready, screw'em, let him learn the hard way with mistakes.
ya I know just I know along with i'm sure a lot of others.what its like to spend hundreds and thousands of dollars and the car goes slower than it did stock.just trying to help what he does with it is up to him..and :wack::banghead:..................Artie

Your car has a 75 mph trap speed. That is because your engine is making NO power, you should fix that before worrying about your "setup" The other thread told you where to start, go get to it.

ya I know just I know along with i'm sure a lot of others.what its like to spend hundreds and thousands of dollars and the car goes slower than it did stock.just trying to help what he does with it is up to him..and :wack::banghead:..................Artie

Yep, that's why where here! We all try and help, but.... sometimes.... well ya know.... :violent1:

I am not looking to ask the same thing over and over until I hear what I want to. I posted here to see what combos people have done. My other thread is full of great suggestions on fixing my issues. And I didn't want to get that thread of track. Am I frustrated with the advice I got from someone I trusted to guide a new guy? Yes. But I am grateful for all the help offered by the people here.

You want comparison?? My 4200 pound beast '68 Fury III 4dr 383 commando ALL STOCK, ALL STOCK (yes, NO headers, Factory cam, etc...) ran 14.70's with 3.55's and ALL STOCK 727 with STOCK converter. I sold it, but... but... Dad-burn-it!! lol A ready to run 750 dp holley 2nd hand runs about 125-150. Buy one and bolt it on. Ebay, local swap meet, local speed shop.... C'mon, man!! You had enough info in your 1st thread to keep you busy for a week straight! Most are screaming "try a diff carb !!!!!!!!!!!!"

As others have said, swap the carb first...but honestly, I don't see this thing getting into the low 12's without some more work. The 383's are lacking in cubes to provide the extra low end grunt, but carry all the weight of a big block...not saying you can't run 12's or better with it, but it will take a lot of work.

After you get the carb thing sorted out, putting some sticky tires on it would be my next step, as far as bang for the buck ET chasing goes (Hoosier QTP, drag radials, slicks, etc).

I love talking about my low buck Duster.

74 Duster.
8 1/4 3.91 rearend
72 340 a-body springs
Pinion snuber
Shocks laying around off just another car.
Front shocks off same car.
440 out of a auction truck
Pistons .160 down the hole
.528 Mopar solid cam
Performer RPM manifold
780 cfm vaccum Holley carb
Veeeeeeeeeeeeeery well built 727 trans
34 degrees total advance
Schumacher headers
Runs 12.21 1/4 mile off the juice.
11.59 100hp juice.

And my bumper car