Shift-R-Gate

-

captain america

Reaction score
Shift R Gate?
Has anyone used the Shift R Gate, and Shift R Arm? If so, is it worth buying, and how does it work? Also do you have to buy the Shift R Arm with it or could you use your stock arm?

It's just the detent plate that you change on your shifter so you use the stock arm unless you want their arm. I put one of them POS in my Cuda and worked and worked and couldn't make it work smoothly. Sometimes it'd work ok then other times it'd jam up. Jammed up more than it worked right. Do a search and you'll find several threads about them.

Tracy, was yours the standard pattern? I was about to order the reverse pattern. I wonder if it would work better with their arm??

Tracy, was yours the standard pattern? I was about to order the reverse pattern. I wonder if it would work better with their arm??

there was a thread about a yr ago just on this... the gates were very notchy so it would move smoothly...

Yep, standard pattern. When I got mine I don't recall seeing they had an arm. That was right after they came out, maybe they didn't have the arm then. Just the conversion kit for a stock shifter. Sorry I can't be more help.

there was a thread about a yr ago just on this... the gates were very notchy so it would move smoothly...

Were or weren't very notchy? The way mine acted I'd call it notchy. Wasn't good. The other thing I didn't like about it was the screwy way you had to shift it.

Were or weren't very notchy? The way mine acted I'd call it notchy. Wasn't good. The other thing I didn't like about it was the screwy way you had to shift it.

the pic that was posted look like the top of a fence lol... just notches cut out... no transitions to "guide" the arm lol....

the pic that was posted look like the top of a fence lol... just notches cut out... no transitions to "guide" the arm lol....

Yep... That's the way the one I had was. Just a rough stamping. You gotta file the crap out of them to get them to work half way decent at all. I got tired of screwing with it and bought a Quicksilver and man I love it.

Yep... That's the way the one I had was. Just a rough stamping. You gotta file the crap out of them to get them to work half way decent at all. I got tired of screwing with it and bought a Quicksilver and man I love it.

Did you mount the Quicksilver in the stock console? Do you have any pictures if so? My whole purpose of trying to get one of these to work is I don't want to loose the stock console.

If that's the gate I'm thinking of, the issue is it's not cut on the radius movement of the shifter. The gate was/is cut in a linear fashion.

Im in the same boat as Mad Dart I do not want to loose the stock console so I would like to find something that fits and works good.

Did you mount the Quicksilver in the stock console? Do you have any pictures if so? My whole purpose of trying to get one of these to work is I don't want to loose the stock console.

Yes I did. Sorry, I didn't take any pics when I was doing it but I have a completed pic I'll attach. I made one big mistake when I was doing it and that is cutting out the original shifter surround in the console. When I was measuring things I measured the total throw of the shifter and it was more than the opening in the stock console by about 1/2". I first tried notching the top plate 1/4" at each end so it would allow full throw of the shifter but didn't like the way it looked. Had that hacked up look even though my cuts were straight. So the only solution I could think of was to cut out the shifter surround and make a top plate cause the top plate that came with the Quicksilver was too wide to fit the console. My mistake was in forgetting the quicksilver is set up for a trans. requiring 4 forward detents so in reality it didn't need to travel the full length to grab all the gears of the 3 speed TF. After I got it installed I realized the factory cutout would have been big enough, UGH! One of these days I'll find a new console top plate and install it so it looks more original. Here's a pic of it and that weird looking thing you see laying just left of the tach is a dead wasp, LOL... I took the pic under low light and didn't even notice it there until I loaded it on the puter.

Yes I did. Sorry, I didn't take any pics when I was doing it but I have a completed pic I'll attach. I made one big mistake when I was doing it and that is cutting out the original shifter surround in the console. When I was measuring things I measured the total throw of the shifter and it was more than the opening in the stock console by about 1/2". I first tried notching the top plate 1/4" at each end so it would allow full throw of the shifter but didn't like the way it looked. Had that hacked up look even though my cuts were straight. So the only solution I could think of was to cut out the shifter surround and make a top plate cause the top plate that came with the Quicksilver was too wide to fit the console. My mistake was in forgetting the quicksilver is set up for a trans. requiring 4 forward detents so in reality it didn't need to travel the full length to grab all the gears of the 3 speed TF. After I got it installed I realized the factory cutout would have been big enough, UGH! One of these days I'll find a new console top plate and install it so it looks more original. Here's a pic of it and that weird looking thing you see laying just left of the tach is a dead wasp, LOL... I took the pic under low light and didn't even notice it there until I loaded it on the puter.

Thanks for the picture! I will probably order one of these and be done with it. So you are saying don't trim anything and it shoud fit right in? Are they fairly easy to install, is there any welding needed to adapt this shifter into the stock location?

Thanks for the picture! I will probably order one of these and be done with it. So you are saying don't trim anything and it shoud fit right in? Are they fairly easy to install, is there any welding needed to adapt this shifter into the stock location?

Your welcome. I can't guarantee you won't have to trim a very minor bit on the console opening but if it's any it won't be much. I had to remove the stock shifter mounting bracket from the floor pan as it set the shifter up too high and it hit the underside of the console. Then I used a flat piece of 1/16" steel to make a new mounting plate and since it's offset from the hump to get it to line up with the opening I had to grind some spacers on an angle to get the plate level. It wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done but if anything is going to trip me up it's measuring stuff on an angle. Especially when all 4 are a little different length and angle. No welding is required but if you weld the new shifter plate and spacers down it makes it much easier than drilling holes and trying to get the bolts installed, especially if the trans. is in the car.

Your welcome. I can't guarantee you won't have to trim a very minor bit on the console opening but if it's any it won't be much. I had to remove the stock shifter mounting bracket from the floor pan as it set the shifter up too high and it hit the underside of the console. Then I used a flat piece of 1/16" steel to make a new mounting plate and since it's offset from the hump to get it to line up with the opening I had to grind some spacers on an angle to get the plate level. It wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done but if anything is going to trip me up it's measuring stuff on an angle. Especially when all 4 are a little different length and angle. No welding is required but if you weld the new shifter plate and spacers down it makes it much easier than drilling holes and trying to get the bolts installed, especially if the trans. is in the car.

Ok, it sounds like it would be wise of me to get the Shifter mocked up in the car and weld what is needed before paint. This will make it easier later if the shifter has to be removed for some reason.

I would also like to see which aftermarket shifter would work in the factory console on my 68 Cuda.
I was thinking about the shifter gate , but after hearing the complaints about it , Aftermarket would be better . I have a Cope racing tranny with reverse valve body ordered and will be picking it up at the March Indy show :)
I will need to make a decision soon...

Attachments

• My Cuda Hanging sheetmetal Resized 0016.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 419
-
Back