Shop layout recommendations?

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As some you know, my brother and I are working on rebuilding/renovating an shop. Shed Renovation
We’re getting close to time to concrete, which means I need to decide where to do any type of plumbing. It’s a 25’ 6” wide by 30’ deep shop. We plan on installing a 2 post lift in the not too terribly distant future. Heres the initial plan I came up with but have sorta been second guessing myself. What would y’all’s recommendation be on bathroom location? The other idea I had was to put the restroom where I have the “compressor room” marked, and move the compressor room farther to the left.

823E9273-90F5-40D6-8D4C-B92942E14587.jpeg

Also, where would y’all position the lift? Straight in from the door? Offset your one side to allow room for a car beside the lift? Or at an angle in one of the rear corners?

Keep it square, you will thank yourself when you install and pay for the roof material, put the bathroom next to compressor room away from the garage door and the small hot water heater.
Put the electric panel anywhere in storage or bath/compressor room.
Floor drain anywhere you like .

Just an idea to think about.

Keep the 25' 6" x 30 wide open with the hoist in the middle (side to side). Your width isn't enough to park a car beside the hoist anyway. All of the wall area around the hoist will be filled with benches, shelves, toolboxes, tire machine, varsol tank, lathe...You name it. My hoist is placed a little closer to the door than to the front. Gives me some room in front of the project for a little bench work. I'm 24 x 30.

Keep the 25' 6" x 30 wide open with the hoist in the middle (side to side). Your width isn't enough to park a car beside the hoist anyway. All of the wall area around the hoist will be filled with benches, shelves, toolboxes, tire machine, varsol tank, lathe...You name it. My hoist is placed a little closer to the door than to the front. Gives me some room in front of the project for a little bench work. I'm 24 x 30.
You have some pictures of how yours is?

I would install your plumbing for a full bath but only finish it as a half, just in case the storage ever becomes semi livable quarters. Also a RV drain next to either wall.

I would install your plumbing for a full bath but only finish it as a half, just in case the storage ever becomes semi livable quarters. Also a RV drain next to either wall.
Yeah my brother and I talked about that yesterday as well. Over times when we have family reunions, etc. the shop could be turned into a temporary overflow bedroom if we also added a corner shower to the bathroom.

The more I think about it, the more I’m liking the idea of putting the restroom where I have the compressor room, then put the compressor room to the left of that. That’d after even more sound reduction in the shop by having the restroom between the compressor room and shop.

Yeah my brother and I talked about that yesterday as well. Over times when we have family reunions, etc. the shop could be turned into a temporary overflow bedroom if we also added a corner shower to the bathroom.
Easier to get that set up before you pour concrete. Around here the plumbing is put underground and measurements are taken. If one wants to add a bathroom after the shop is built and the permits are signed off on then all you have to do is cut some concrete.

When I did the floor plan for my garage - shop I made a large 2D drawing similar to what you have. Then I made scale 2D paper cut outs of the work benches, floor shelves, vehicles and set them on the drawing. I made them loose so I could move them around to maximize work flow and space.
With that I decided on where the doors and wall 110 and 220 electric outlets, light switches and the fuse panel would go.
I also made the people entrance doors swing out as that maximizes wall and floor space on the inside.

Last edited:
Plan your electrical well ahead of time, too. I put a separate 200 amp service in my 24X34, and was glad I did. I also put some NEMA 220V outlets scattered around, too. Think about insulation, heating, and cooling fans, too.

Put the compressor either outside or in the large shop area. If not you are gonna have overheating or severe water in your air.

Radiant floor heat. Just something to think about before you lay the concrete floor down. It's kind of expensive, but if you can swing it, it's well worth it. A lot of good ideas here, so plan carefully. my68barracuda has some very good ones.

That square footage is plenty big for two car width doors.

I'd even go wider if possible IE 9 foot.

MUCH easier to get stuff through if a car is in there, and a lot easier to get a car in as well.

A straight run to a lift is always easier unless it's much deeper into the shop, although that can waste usable space for other stuff.

All great suggestions that I’ve read here so far. That said, here’s the story to clear up a few things. My wife and I are selling our farm (closing next week) and therefore I’m losing my two shops/garages. This project is redoing a dilapidated old shed on dads farm for my brother and I to use until we get a shop built at our new place. Once my new shop is built, we’ll still use this shop some, since my brother lives just down the road from dads but majority of work will be done in my new shop. We’ll be running power and water over from dads primary barn. I’d considered radiant heat in the floor, but since we’re trying to get this done as cheaply as possible (more details in the videos in my original thread) we’re going to forego that in this shop and use a wood stove for now, and propane heat later.

You have some pictures of how yours is?
LOL......As you can see, not much room left over once all of you **** gets put in there. It gets to minus 40 where I live, so I keep anything that needs to be protected from cold and condensation in this heated section. My building is 30 x 50, I wish I would have heated it all.

And yes, the heated floor is a great idea......I didn't do it. Wish I had!

IMG_1698.JPG

troy2.jpg

Just for information, I have a 2010 challenger with an 8 Foot garage door and have about 2" on each side when entering. When I pull my 05 Ram in both mirrors are in. I added a 3rd car garage and when I did I never realized how wide cars were getting. After cement was poured, He said could have gone with a 10 foot door. So maybe a double door might be a good idea.

I put two 9 foot doors (plus a man door) on the 30' side of my 26x30.

I don't have a straight shot to get in and the extra foot helps tremendously.

It also make it MUCH easier to get a hand truck or lawn mower in and out if a car is already inside.

PS that shop looks far from "dilapidated".

LOL......As you can see, not much room left over once all of you **** gets put in there. It gets to minus 40 where I live, so I keep anything that needs to be protected from cold and condensation in this heated section. My building is 30 x 50, I wish I would have heated it all.

And yes, the heated floor is a great idea......I didn't do it. Wish I had!

View attachment 1715899412

View attachment 1715899413
Thanks! That gives me a real good idea available space.

I put two 9 foot doors (plus a man door) on the 30' side of my 26x30.

I don't have a straight shot to get in and the extra foot helps tremendously.

It also make it MUCH easier to get a hand truck or lawn mower in and out if a car is already inside.

PS that shop looks far from "dilapidated".
It had a single 12-ish foot sliding door on it but we’re either going to install a 12x9 garage door (got one free off a job) or put two sliders on to slide out each direction.

Oh it was in pretty sad condition. In fact, if it wasn’t for the steel structure they put in to support the roof, the whole thing would’ve come down years ago.

This is great, my 30wx40Lx10H one 9x9 door and a side wntry walk through. No windows. I'm putting it up in June im already stressed about the lack of space. I like reading about others lay outs but man cant afford.to build bigger with the price now days same shed 2 years ago was 5k less in materials

Last edited:
I needed a 2x4x8foot stud and was shocked to see it was $10 at lowes and almost $12 at Home depot. Used to be $3-4.

Here's my 26x34 to give you an idea of the amount of crap you can fit in there.
ld4ede142-m1s-w932_h420_q75.webp

garage 1.jpg
garage 2.jpg
garage 3.jpg
garage 4.jpg
garage 5.jpg

I know it's messy but
black betty.PNG

-
Back