Should I be upset?

-

scamper340

Reaction score
Well, I didn't want to do this, but I bought a console from a member here.

DSCN0655.jpg

DSCN0648.jpg

DSCN0652.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s207/scamper360/Console/DSCN0651.jpg?t=1288669162

The top plate is in decent enough condition to be re-chromed, but as you can see the console itself took a beating. The top plates were wrapped in newspaper, but there was no other packing material. It's been about 2 weeks now and the seller hasn't responded to my PM's since i sent him links to the pictures and his stats show he has been on nearly every day since. Link to his ad:http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=103147

So, should I be upset or just accept it?

Shipping damage………… (related to poor packing).

If you could get the shipping Co. to pay for it that would be win/win for both of you.

Shipping damage………… (related to poor packing).

If you could get the shipping Co. to pay for it that would be win/win for both of you.

good luck getting them to pay. even when the shipping company packs it, they still put up a fight to pay.
and judging by the pic, i doubt they boxed it up. forget about it, they will not help

see, now hear me out. this is not directed to anyone, so please take no offence.

when someone sells something on here, the buyer beats the seller over the head when it comes to paying for the shipping. they *****, whine and complain. they want to pay nothing for the shipping. if you box something up to ship, and you give the seller the best price, they tend still feel like thay are getting robbed. I KNOW it is robbery what the companies charge. and if you pay them to box it up, forget it. not alot of members on here want to pay an additonal 15.00 or more for it to be boxed up. and if you box it yourself, then go to ship, they ask you how much insurance on it you want, you tell them, and it does no good. i can put 3,000 insurance on a sharktoothe grille, and if i box it myself, no matter how well boxed, they will not make good on their insurance, even though i paid to insure. they say that it was boxed by the person shipping it. and at that point, you are beat.

340plots right, the shipping company will laugh in your face if you file a claim on that.. You are very lucky it only got damaged that much.... The packing obviously sucked.. Did he give you a good deal on it??? From looking at his pics it looked like it needed restored anyway, looks like an easy fix... I'd just fix it and forget about it...

As a seller, it is there job to pack everything so nothing gets damaged...When I ship stuff, I ALWAYS make sure nothing can be broken, and always use the sturdiest boxes, and bubblewrap everything...

As a seller, it is there job to pack everything so nothing gets damaged...When I ship stuff, I ALWAYS make sure nothing can be broken, and always use the sturdiest boxes, and bubblewrap everything...

I agree 1000%, when we buy something, we are paying for a part we can USE....careless packing makes no sense....people who won't make the effort to pack parts properly shouldn't be selling. It's not even difficult to pack things the right way.....give me a break!

AGREED....it is not the responsibility of the shipper if the seller wrapped the item in tissue paper and it was damaged in shipping. that is a very CLEAR example of VERY negligent packaging......to the shipper its just another cardboard box.....but the sellers reputation is at stake if the product is poorly packaged and subsequent damages are realized...You have a legitimate ***** against the seller...and they should make good on it by either reducing the initial price or offering a full refund and return. I also think that folks that seem to deliberately not give a damn about a part because NOW it is your problem
( after you buy it)....should be banned from selling for a couple of months and if it happens repeatedly banned period......we ***** we bicker and we have fun...we are a family so to speak and it is simply NOT "kosher" to screw family members.......I think the poor packager should be ID'd and the MODS have a lil chat with them.......The cost of shipping is high enough without having to repair replace or ship an item back because it is faulty or broken or misrepresented......it is definatley the responsibility of the seller to package appropriately for "normal shipment." NOW if the box shows up with tire tread marks or something that obviously points at the shippers irresponsibility...that is a horse of a different color

I have to agree on the poor packaging issue 1000%.

I also bought a Console from this seller too (Hell of a good deal!) and the only thing holding the parts in the box on arrival was the tape (and dam little tape too) and very, VERY loosely padded with insuficciant newspaper.
I was lucky, all parts made this trip and nothing got broken.... this time.

This is exactly where feedback can help a buyer to make and have a good purchase experiance.
So I posted him a good feedback BUT spelled out the packaging issues in his feedback for all to see and warn of issues before buying from them..... USE IT PLEASE!

Personally, I package all my sold items like I was shipping them to myself AND avoid using UPS whenever possible.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Later,
Bruce B.

It's been about 2 weeks now and the seller hasn't responded to my PM's since i sent him links to the pictures and his stats show he has been on nearly every day since.

This is the part that bothers me about every one of these type of threads. Whenever you're a potential buyer, people answer all your PMs. After they get your money...nothing.

you should be upset,
then you should repair it and stop being upset
hopefully this thread will show people the importance of properly packing parts

At least it's fixable. Plus a repair at the lower front can't be seen once it's installed. The seller may have had no idea how easy that edge can be broken. I call it the DOH factor.

The worst are those flat rate boxes. Usually there is no extra room for padding. I bought a radio for my truck on ebay, and the seller put it in one of those flat rate boxes with no padding. When I got the item the power knob was broken off and the unit was lifeless. When I sent it back he blamed me for the knob being broken!

we are a family so to speak and it is simply NOT "kosher" to screw family members.......I think the poor packager should be ID'd and the MODS have a lil chat with them.......

The MOD's have little leverage in issues like this with the only strong point of banning you and trashing your name, which is easy to fix via a new E-mail address and re-reggie at the site with a new screen name.

If you want to stay here, then you'll do right. If you don't really care, then you won't be back, but you'll not care.

I try and pack all parts like above very well for shipping. Some need more care then others.

On the whle, I find almost everybody wants to beat you over the head with shipping. It's not good enuff that I'm selling the part to you for a fraction of real world cost.

sucks this happened poor packaging on there part but it could be alot worse I think we all have had problems buying stuff and somthing tunring sour sorry for your luck man fix it up and take the best of life with the best of mopar

I as a seller try to over package any thing i ship i do use ups and i'm here to tell you it could be wrapped in kevilar and they would trash it. I also insure all parts shipped and i stay in contact with you till you receve the item i also leave the payment in my paypal account till you say everythings good then i transfer the money that way if there is an issue your money can be refunded with out issue. I'm the ups shipping guy at work i ship many trailer parts daily, high dollar items are insured i had a fender that was damaged and our recivables person hounded them for over a month we got our 65.00$ i was suprised. In the past it was improper packaging end of story.

Shipping companies are like baggage handlers. If it can be broken they'll break it. The seller should have taken more care in packaging such a fragile item. On the bright side at least it's fixable but that's hardly the point.

Thanks for the input guys. I am a little upset at the seller Ohio Ironhead, for not returning my PM's. I haven't asked for anything at this point, I simply asked him what he felt about the situation, and once I forwarded him the pictures, he stopped responding. I guess I should also note that the console is missing some pieces, specifically, the attaching hardware for the top plate and shift indicator, and the plastic rails for the ashtray door. I assumed they were part of the deal, since it appears in the pictures that they are present. I am happy with the top plate, but not with what it cost now that the console is subtracted from the equation. There is very little pitting, and should be very nice once it is re-chromed, but it WILL need re-chromed to be nice. I guess the console could be repaired, but it won't be as nice as what I agreed to purchase, and IMO will be worth less. BTW, I only showed the major damage, there are some smaller chips around the edges where the carpet trim sits. It's pretty hard to replicate that vinyl grain look and I'm not sure I'd be able to make that kind of repair myself. So basically, I have an over priced top plate core for re-chroming. I doubt I'll get any satisfaction at this point, he's had 2 weeks to respond. Oh well... Again, thanks for the input everyone.

-
Back