Should I hold them to the price?

-
a deal is a deal. i have sold a easy 250g worth of goodies on eBay. and i have screwed up like this before and NEVER asked somebody to end the deal because i screwed up. they got their parts for what they paid. the seller did not proofread the ad, to me it would be different if the seller emailed and said he was sorry for the mixup but to lie and say the auction was for gaskets is wrong and i would ask for my valve covers. thats the part that would make me mad. the seller isnt honest.

If it was an honest mistake, how could you screw them?

You will have to investigate them as much as you can and let their reputation and your conscience decide for you.

As Daredevil and Memike said, karma IS a *****.

Auction said $20. It's their problem if it was wrong.

Karma my ***. You proof read your ad before and after posting it. If you don't and screw up then you eat the difference. Simple as that.

if it was an honest mistake i think it would be unfair to take advantage of someones small mistake, i would hate if someone did it to me, even if it was my business

a deal is a deal. i have sold a easy 250g worth of goodies on eBay. and i have screwed up like this before and NEVER asked somebody to end the deal because i screwed up. they got their parts for what they paid. the seller did not proofread the ad, to me it would be different if the seller emailed and said he was sorry for the mixup but to lie and say the auction was for gaskets is wrong and i would ask for my valve covers. thats the part that would make me mad. the seller isnt honest.

wow, your going to have everyone eyeballing your ads from here on in!
thx
:smilebox:

I think I'll let them off the hook. I would want the same. The thing is, I don't like that they tried to BS me by saying the auction was for the gaskets. If they would have been up front and said they screwed up, I would have no problem letting it go.

The thing is, I don't like that they tried to BS me by saying the auction was for the gaskets. If they would have been up front and said they screwed up, I would have no problem letting it go.

And this is the reason I think you should hold them to it. eBay reminds every bidder that they are entering a business contract by placing a bid - the same should hold true for the seller.
Business is business, you're not dealing with a family here or a private party.

And this is the reason I think you should hold them to it. eBay reminds every bidder that they are entering a business contract by placing a bid - the same should hold true for the seller.
Business is business, you're not dealing with a family here or a private party.

I agree.. He tried to bs you. My guess is he thought they would bid higher and he is now trying to get out of the deal.

If it was an honest mistake - be honest and honorable with them.

If it was an attempt to defraud - then stick to your guns and get your covers.

Every man has to walk his own road. Only you can decide which road to take.

I would normally say take the high road on this, but the fact that they tried to cover their mistake indicates that they are not an honest business. I too have sold many items on ebay, and not once have I ever gone back on a final sale amount for any item. What the buyer bids is what the buyer pays. My #1 rule for listing items on ebay is that my starting price is what I will accept for the item, anything above that is what the market will allow. Hold them to the deal, and scold them for trying to cover their tracks, mistake or not, they lied about it!!! Geof

I think I'll let them off the hook. I would want the same. The thing is, I don't like that they tried to BS me by saying the auction was for the gaskets. If they would have been up front and said they screwed up, I would have no problem letting it go.

You're a good man Charlie Brown!!!! I also agree with you on the fact of them back tracking and saying they were for gaskets. A little low life on their part.

I just hope I don't list my Dart ever for $800 by mistake instead of $8000.

I say let em off. You're not out anything, and just looking at the ad you knew it was a mistake.

Yes it is cheesy of them to try the rap about the gaskets, and I'd tell them that in the email letting them off.

If someone started charging these people $180 per typo, I'd love to see how gung ho they were about sticking it till it hurts.

I say hold them to it.

What sort of a business is it if they cant even list the
correct price for something?

If the add had written on 200 odd hundred for the item,
you wouldnt have bidded correct?
But because it was 20,you DID bid.

You wanted a bargain,you got one!

Your not screwing anyone over,you SAW it
for that price.

It would be nice to see the auction link... That being said the BS over the auction being for gaskets was not right.

I have sold things on eBay and under estimated the shipping so bad by not thinking about the oversize that I lost everything I got for the item and some more $$$$ out of my pocket to boot. I never said a word to the buyer because it was clearly my own fault.

I think the seller should at least offer them to you at their cost if nothing else.

I would probally let them out of the deal and post a neutral feedback stating seller could not complete transaction.
Due to the gasket switch deal I would give them a low DSR on as described.

It's done. I let him off, and told him he needs to pay attention to detail because the next guy might not let it go, and that trying to BS me by saying that it was for gaskets was low.

It's done. I let him off, and told him he needs to pay attention to detail because the next guy might not let it go, and that trying to BS me by saying that it was for gaskets was low.

You are a good person. I think letting him off is the right thing to do. Even companies can't afford losses right now.

What ever you would have done,E-bay wouldnt have done S##t.
The worst thing that would have happened to them is bad feedback by you.
You did the right thing.

Come back and let us know if you get any type of "Thanks" from the seller. My bet is that you won't.
A seller that made an honest mistake will thank you for what you did. A dishonest one will just smile and move on.
You're a good guy for what you did.

-
Back