Show Your Big Block A body!

-
Ugly 69 GT in my sig pic with a 68 grill and 67 fenders. Just a basic cast crank 440, built 727, 3inch drive line (1350 u joints) nodular iron center section with billet caps/adjusters. 3.73s, full spool, A body 8.75 with Moser axles. Shes ugly but hiding some decent parts.

Hopefully will be turbo and driving by mid Feb. Aiming for 750wheel or so on pump gas.:burnout:

I just don't remember people having to recess the radiator. Maybe they used thinner core radiator? I wanted to try one but I went with the jaguar clutch instead.

I did not see any photos of how other guys fit the setup. I took the measurements and could see it was a no go with the radiator mounted in the stock location on my car. I hated cutting into the radiator support but when the job was complete it turned out fine. I put edge guard on the sheet metal and I was able to keep the factory hood latch. The trans cooler would no longer fit behind the grill so I mounted it in the RH fender behind the headlight and equipped it with a thermostatically controlled fan.

Thanks guys for the posts!!! I love a big block A body! Big power and a 1000Lbs lighter than a B body!!!LOL Mine was a 400 1973 duster! I do miss that car! Working on a hemi powered dodge Ram 1500 right now! But I will never leave my first love!!!!

The 68 Dart is a 500 Cube -- The 72 Dart Sport is a Hemi. - I've since sold both of them - The 69 Valiant 408 is my current ride - Obviously not a Big Block.

Attachments

• 68 Dart.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 778
  • 73 Dart Sport.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 747
  • Other Wheels - 7.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 711
There are a lot of very nice and very cool cars on here, I almost feel out of place. Here's my 65 Barracuda drag car from early on. Friend bought body from junk yard for 50 bucks in the 70's for the back window where it sat in a barn. Bought it about 3 years ago and I did some research. Found that it ran a 383 4spd and tunnel ram. I tried to put back the way it was. I've been having too much fun with it, still working bugs out.and yes it's original paint

There are a lot of very nice and very cool cars on here, I almost feel out of place. Here's my 65 Barracuda drag car from early on. Friend bought body from junk yard for 50 bucks in the 70's for the back window where it sat in a barn. Bought it about 3 years ago and I did some research. Found that it ran a 383 4spd and tunnel ram. I tried to put back the way it was. I've been having too much fun with it, still working bugs out.and yes it's original paint

Too cool!

'67 Formula S 383 project car

23866705202_ae5db95ff1_z_d.jpg

You win the internets for today Sir, that is a killer ride! Gotta love a "real" old race car, and much props for bringing her back to her former glory!

I did not want to cut the radiator support and move the radiator but it was necessary to fit the Chevy HHR fan and shroud. I had originally had two Spal 10 inch fans with no shroud and the Jeg's radiator in the stock location but it ran hot and would overheat. I did some research and found out the HHR fan comes with a shroud, moves plenty of air and can be bought brand new from Rock Auto for $47. I custom fabbed up mounts to attach the fan and shroud to the radiator. The HHR deal is thicker than the Spal fans so I had to either go with a low profile electric water pump or cut the support and recess the radiator into it, so that's what I did. It worked out great, no more overheating. I'm trying to avoid too much highly visible racing equipment so the mechanical water pump, power steering, mech fuel pump and a Powermaster one wire Mopar alternator are all in place. Its no race car, It is completely streetable. I don't even have a truck and trailer, I drive it all over including to and from the race tracks I run at.

my 73 dart was a street car that i ran at the track more than i did the street. just to man crappy roads around me and worrying about smashing my 8 QT oil pan.:violent1: lol. my 73 dart had a summit brand 27.5x19 2 core aluminum rad and a summit brand CVR drop in electric water pump. I tried the HHR fan but ended up using a 3.8 ford tours fan. it has a built in shroud, 2 speed electric motor and what i like the most the fan motor is off set to the drivers side.on high it floes just as much air as the HHR if not more. the only thing is it cost me $100 off eBay shipped. it had no trouble keeping my mid 10 second pump gas street car cool. but i would of still did the rad like you did for a little bit more room. I will see if i can find a old pick of my fan set up. Thanks Mopar65

here is the best picture i could find of the 3.8 ford fan. again nothing wrong with the HHR, just showing another fan that can be used.

Attachments

• 100_0776 (Large).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 636
This is what the engine looks like now, good old plain Jane. Making some changes now, looking for 10.70s @125 while remaining pump gas no power adder and flat hood, closed element air cleaner and all. The car is long distance highway drivable too, 100% streetable.

I havwe questions, if you don't mind:

Pics of the 518 install?
What converter?
What do you use to activate OD?
What cam specs??

VERY COOL Duster!

would love to but trying to upload from my comp and no go? i don't have a bucket account. what gives?? much easier on the b site

72 Dart Swinger 383 727 with 355 posi

Attachments

• Dart Dash 2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 560
  • dart.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 553
  • dart1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 632
  • dart2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 608
would love to but trying to upload from my comp and no go? i don't have a bucket account. what gives?? much easier on the b site
I was able to post photos without a bucket account. Next to "Post quick reply" is "go advanced". I clicked that and scrolled down and the upload menu was there.

Hello, I am the proud owner of this date coded correct 440 that was installed in an original H code GTS. This triple black car has disc front brakes, 15" wheels, Torque-flite 727, 3:55 sure grip, power steering, super stock rear springs, and a full 2 1/2 exhaust and now with the correct exhaust tips. My plans are to keep making small improvements and to enjoy the car.

View attachment IMG_0466.jpg

View attachment IMG_0469.jpg

View attachment IMG_0472.jpg

I havwe questions, if you don't mind:

Pics of the 518 install?
What converter?
What do you use to activate OD?
What cam specs??

VERY COOL Duster!
You can see pictures of the 518 install in my photo gallery here on FABO. There's a link under my avatar.
The converter is a PTC 9.5 inch 4000 stall. Best converter I've ever had by far.
The OD is activated by supplying 12 volts to the terminal plug for it on the trans. Anytime there is juice there and the trans is in 3rd gear, it goes right to OD. I kept it simple and use a toggle switch on the dashboard to control it.
The cam is a COMP Xtreme Energy XR292R-10 street solid roller .582/.588 lift, 254/260 duration@ .050 lift and it has a 110 degree lobe separation. Its installed straight up.
I could pick up more power by going with more lift on the cam because my heads flow considerably more up around .650-.700 lift but I stayed conservative with it to avoid valvetrain issues and excessive maintenance.
Thanks for the compliment!

my 73 dart was a street car that i ran at the track more than i did the street. just to man crappy roads around me and worrying about smashing my 8 QT oil pan.:violent1: lol. my 73 dart had a summit brand 27.5x19 2 core aluminum rad and a summit brand CVR drop in electric water pump. I tried the HHR fan but ended up using a 3.8 ford tours fan. it has a built in shroud, 2 speed electric motor and what i like the most the fan motor is off set to the drivers side.on high it floes just as much air as the HHR if not more. the only thing is it cost me $100 off eBay shipped. it had no trouble keeping my mid 10 second pump gas street car cool. but i would of still did the rad like you did for a little bit more room. I will see if i can find a old pick of my fan set up. Thanks Mopar65

here is the best picture i could find of the 3.8 ford fan. again nothing wrong with the HHR, just showing another fan that can be used.
Its funny you mentioned the Ford Taurus fan. At the time I was working on solving the overheating problem I was working in a scrap yard and I got a Taurus fan for free off a junked car. It was just too thick to fit even if I had moved the radiator forward. When I ordered the HHR fan I was hoping it would fit without moving the radiator but I simply wouldn't know until I had it in my hands. Once I did get the HHR fan I did a comparison to the Taurus fan. IIRC the HHR fan was more than an inch thinner, might have been almost two inches. I also powered both of them up and the Taurus fan definitely had more power and moved more air. Going to an electric water pump frees up plenty of space but I won't do it on this car, I'm trying very hard to keep things looking stockish and I'm avoiding highly visible racing equipment as much as possible unless its absolutely necessary to make it work. It has a mechanical fuel pump and even has power steering.

I have more room with my stock style water pump than I did when running a CSR electric water pump.

1968 Dodge dart GTS, 383/TF

Attachments

• 68 Dart DS.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 440
-
Back