Side Exhaust

-
Wow I never thought this would be such a hot button topic. Thank you all for your honest replies. I think I'm going to stick with the duals straight out the back.

Steve

BTW, you have a very nice car Rat Patrol.

Side exit exhaust looks OK. Maybe floorboards a little hotter under your feet w/mufflers
further forward?? Its a personal preferance. The exhaust on my 66 cuda goes out the back along w/all noise & smell. To each their own. You have a VERY sharp car!!

Here are a few picts of my side exhaust, it has glass packs or cherry bombs.
I don't like them they are too load. The are fun to make them backfire tho :)

Attachments

• 64dart09_800.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 454
  • 64dart24_800.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 409
  • 64dart06_800.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 459
  • DSC02369_800.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 428
Hell, I don't see no side exhaust. The loader the better.

DSCF0634.jpg

Good for you out to the bumper is best in my opinion [however i did consider running mine thru a customized rocker moulding in front of the rear wheels] decided against it since A-i don't like side exhaust B-cutting a hole in a perfictly good [hard to find] rocker moulding is stupid. To each his own. Our motto here at the redneck garage is IT AIN'T WORTH HAV'IN IF'N YA CAIN'T HEAR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I plan on running AAR style exhaust on my Duster with the Dynamax mufflers referenced above and twin cats (it's a 76). I'm also planning to run a balance tube or X pipe.
Properly set up, side exhaust shouldn't resonate or drone anymore than any other. I've used it on several of my cars over the years and I liked the results every time I used it.

Wow I never thought this would be such a hot button topic. Thank you all for your honest replies. I think I'm going to stick with the duals straight out the back.

Steve

BTW, you have a very nice car Rat Patrol.

I would think that best, that is a beautiful car.

How about running them out the back but with a switchable side exit that's just straight pipes(No Muffler).
Then you could chose between the 2 and get to be insanely loud when the time is right.

rat patrol, your car is awesome! has a very unique look to it! definitely not junk. :) thanks for the info on the muffs.

for those who are 'for' side exit exhaust, what do ya think of those pypes violator mufflers i posted in the summit link? i think ima just try em out.

Those Pypes Violators are a chambered muffler from what I read on their web site.

Good price - but probably won't flow as well as the straight-through Magnaflows or Dynamax.

They'll also probably be louder...but I don't have any first hand experience to say for sure. :)

magnum duster you got any pics of your duster

This is the only photo i have right now. I've been meaning to clean it up and take it out for a bunch of pics, but since the new motor, the car has gotten a little finicky with tuning and some mechanical failures.

Attachments

• IMG-20120213-00196 (1).jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 377
I am putting the AAR side exhaust on my 66 Formula S. I just finished putting Dougs headers in last week and finishing up my restoration. What I am wondering is do you really have to use the AAR type mufflers? I was just going to put the AAR ends onto short mufflers off of the headers and then use the AAR side exits.

................... do you really have to use the AAR type mufflers? I was just going to put the AAR ends onto short mufflers off of the headers ..............

If your read through this thread, there is mention of this very thing. There is no real room up against the floor for mufflers up by the headers. They hang down, etc. So using the AAR type allows them to be tucked up where they belong.

What I am wondering is do you really have to use the AAR type mufflers? I was just going to put the AAR ends onto short mufflers off of the headers and then use the AAR side exits.

As stated through the thread - Dynamax, Magnaflow, Weldtech and Flowmaster all make them.

magnum duster very very nice

like the wheels , looking forward to more pics
pretty close to mine

I am putting the AAR side exhaust on my 66 Formula S. I just finished putting Dougs headers in last week and finishing up my restoration. What I am wondering is do you really have to use the AAR type mufflers? I was just going to put the AAR ends onto short mufflers off of the headers and then use the AAR side exits.

Sorry - misread what you meant.

The issue with the AAR tips is they curve "backwards" towards the rear axle - if you try connecting them to a std pipe - how will you overcome that they curve away from your header flange?

Hello,

I was not planning on using all of the exhaust tip. I would cut it before the part that curves backwards to meet the muffle from the back.

Thanks

Dave

This is the only photo i have right now. I've been meaning to clean it up and take it out for a bunch of pics, but since the new motor, the car has gotten a little finicky with tuning and some mechanical failures.

What the specs/ brand of those wheels and tires they look good!

What the specs/ brand of those wheels and tires they look good!

Thanks, the tires are just some low end "riken raptors" from americas tire center. Supposedly a falken tire offshoot brand. I really haven't railed on the car enough to know if they're good tires. The wheels are american racing torqlites. However, these wheels are now discontinued.

-
Back