Sixpack on a 318 engine ?

-
well.. i think i spec'd 3400(i think, might be 3200... receipt not near me and i'm old damnit).. but i won't make much tq and the 4.57s will make it stall much lower i'm expecting.. but should be fun

well.. i think i spec'd 3400(i think, might be 3200... receipt not near me and i'm old damnit).. but i won't make much tq and the 4.57s will make it stall much lower i'm expecting.. but should be fun
It should be fun. I always how loose the car feels. You need to beat on it and then it stands up and delivers!

Magical artifacts don't come cheap....
The Hand of Vecna, the Eye of Vecna, Sword of Kas, Baba Yaga's Hut and plenty more magical artifacts just came to mind.

And said artifacts often had terrible curses attached to them.

Old AD&D nerd here.

The curse attached to our cars is the magical ability to make your gold pieces disappear...

Yep, basic hot rodding. Ford and Chevy did it. Mopar kept the Teen as a basic workhorse. Well, until nothing much else was left and they put them in a cop car with a 4 barrel and some 360 heads. :thumbsup:
Chevy even made an HO 305 with better heads, cam and more compression with a 4 barrel.

Chevy even made an HO 305 with better heads, cam and more compression with a 4 barrel.
And it was still junk.
Crushed many a Camaros with a 318 Duster.
All I heard was slurping snot and tears of how they lost to a super expensive 340 Duster.

Sell the 6-pack to a 340 guy and use the money to buy better heads for your 318. Or, you can tell the unsuspecting novices it’s a 340, 6-pack motor. I’d personally do the first option.

Red X that! Keep the 6 pack and save for better heads down the road.

People go with 318s cause they cheap or free...they never were powerhouses unless you are easily impressed. Will they sound good in a Scamp? yes will the Scamp do a "burnout" yes will the Scamp do a 13 sec quarter mile with a stock 318 ? no would it with a stock 340? probably...that's why I look down on a 318 I cant speak for others...
I miss the "Disagree" X. I would use it here. The 318 is only 22 cubic inches smaller than the 340. Built properly a 318 can be an awesome engine. It just needs quality heads, crank, pistons etc. I would think a 6 pack on a well built 318 would be awesome.

1721699017310.png

I say stick the six pack on, it’s your car, do whatever you want with it. I think it’ll be awfully cool, post videos of it running

I could be wrong but seems the OP just wants to know if 6 pack just function ok, probably more for just the looks than anything else.

I think what turns people cold to the 318 is that the factory never offered a cyl head that was great for power upgrades. Sure the 1.88int/1.6exh 360 head valve sizes are really good for the 318 but the huge combustion chamber then has one searching for a piston that's higher up in the bore at TDC- which for many years was hard to find or maybe didn't really exist- at least affordably. The 327 chevy and 302 Ford- if they didn't already come with a head that was good for upgraded power a set could be had easily and reasonably and I'm talking OEM- like the chevy 1.94/1.6 head. Doesn't mean a 318 can't be made to run hard- the hobby is taking stock things and making them much more powerful- my point is the gearhead public chose a platform that was established from the factory with upgradable power in mind. I noticed the 318 and 360 MAGNUM head struck a nice balance. The intake ports are bigger than the LA 318 but not as big as an LA340/360 and the intake valve is 1.916" and the exh valve is 1.624". Dodge - or rather AMC? did their research for a decent performing street head.

i am not so far yet. First i have to rebuild my 318 and then i put the six pack on it and cut a hole in my hood :)

I miss the "Disagree" X. I would use it here. The 318 is only 22 cubic inches smaller than the 340. Built properly a 318 can be an awesome engine. It just needs quality heads, crank, pistons etc. I would think a 6 pack on a well built 318 would be awesome.
Who cares?

Last edited:
Who cares?
@DartSwinger, I am just curious what the "Who cares" is about? I really don't care; I'm just curious. Was it the fact that I said I missed the red X, the fact that I said the 318 was only 22 CIs less than the 340, the fact that I said I thought a well built 6 Pack 318 would be awesome? Just curious.

The Mopar engine manual has a 318 six pack recipe in it, so Chrysler musta thought it'd work.

-
Back