Slapstick mechanism pics request

-

player1up

Reaction score
I'm looking for some information on how the slapstick mechanism works. I know the theory behind it, just looking for some detailed pics of the mechanism / gate plates.
AND/OR if anyone has a video of the mechanism working that'd be freaking cool
( not of you shifting the thing while driving ) like a bench test video or something.

...stay tuned for a hair brained idea :tard:

I take it you are trying to put one in an A body, arn't you? I've been trying
to figure one out myself. I have heard that some late 70 B body shifters
have it. 75 and up. In the Chargers and Magnums.
Haven't had any luck yet. The last one a guy wanted couple hunderd bucks
for it. Can't spend that much to hack it up for the Duster.

the b&m quicksilver is a ratchet style shifter that works very well and are inexpensive. hell i got one for $40 off craigslist just for garage art. you can drill out the 4 rivets that hold it together and make what ever style shift arm you like. i built one for mine and it turned out great. works just like a stock piece except it puts the handle where i like it. and it looks pretty jazzy.

DSCI0053.jpg

DSCI0318.jpg

Brain, I'm a waaaayy bigger idiot than just trying to put a stock slapstick in an A-body.... I'm thinking of modifying a jeep cherokee floor shifter ( for the 46RE trans that's in the car ). I'd have to get a stock one hack it to fit..AND convert it to cable operation...just not sure what is easier, modding this one or hacking one up...
Just thinking at this point but need some more information before I jump off the deep end

Younggun, I thought of the ratchet style shifter. Call me weird, but I personally don't like them.

OK, I found a bunch of pics here but that isn't going to help me at all.
I was hoping that I could glean some information about how it works and how to adapt it based on detailed pictures, but apparently it works by PFM... ;)
or at least has no corresponding adaptation to a vertical pin vertical gate shifter like the jeep one I have. Sometimes I'm such a glutton for punishment.

Preliminary testing is going well, first prototype of a lower gate ( more of a side gate ) to the jeep shifter proved promissing. 1st to 2nd shift stop seems to work well, but I botched the one for 2nd to D ( made it a little too far forward ) .

The coolest thing is that if you shift normal, for example light forward pressure, it shifts through the gate as it normally would, but bang it forward and it stops at the next gear....

There is also the shift-r-gate from Duncan racing. Look it up on YouTube. I have a video of mine.

I don't hink the shift-R-gate will work on the Jeep shifter.
I think I have it all figured out, some tricky stuff by the way. The "stopper" gate gets hit and removes all forward momentum from the shifter and then returns the pin ( thing that rides against the top gate ) to it's normal possition. The harder you hit it, the better it works. I also had to play with slotting the front pivot of the stopper gate and with the spring tension. I'll post some pics soon.

Ok, so here are the pics of the first run on making a stopper gate.

The first pic is the side view. The new gate sits lower and the stops are REALLY close together due to the small radius because of how low it has to sit to clear everything ( that big square block on the shifter )
View attachment Jeep_shifter_main.jpg

This pic from the rear shows the offset of the lower gate.View attachment Jeep_shifter_rear.jpg

The next couple of pics show the interaction with the lower gate and the gate pin. Notice the gate pin now looks like an L rather than an I and the side piece of the L sticks out to ride on the lower gate.
View attachment Jeep_shifter_detail1.jpg
View attachment Jeep_shifter_detail2.jpg

The gate functions very similarly to the mopar slapstick, for example:
The pin contacts the lower gate BEFORE the pin gets to the upper gate gear location, pushes the lower gate forward until the lower gate gets to it's stopping point ( determined by the slot in the front mounting point.
At that point, the gate pin can move upward to the top gate, freeing itself from the lower gate, allowing the lower gate to slide rearward to resting position ( ready for next shift )

The shifter behaves the following way:
Shift from P to D, lower gate does not get contacted by the gate pin. Button depression is required to shift out of park.

Shift from D to 2 or 1 lower gate gets pushed down by the gate pin when shift button is depressed and shifter can be moved into either 2 or 1.

Here's where it gets cool:
When shifting from 1 to 2 or 2 to D
Slap shifter = advances only one gear at a time.
Slowly slide shifter forward = advances from 1 to N just like stock.

One other side effect is that I can hold down the shifter button from 1-2 shift and it CANNOT advance past 2 until button is released.
I'm not sure if that's the way the stock slapstick works but hoping someone will chime in.

On a side note, the tolerances for this type of mod are VERY tight. If it's off by just a hair, it wont stop the shifter, or if the spring tension is too light on the bottom gate at the rear ( see pics ) the lower gate wont return quick enough.

I'm also thinking about what could go wrong...for example, what happens if the spring breaks, does it lock up the shifter? is that even possible. The answer to that is no. The lower gate falls away from the upper gate and ceases to function...but I sure as heck don't want this mod locking up my shifter....but I have lot's of time to mess with it before the car is back on the road.

Anyway, just some ideas for what I think is pretty cool.

-
Back