Small block bottom build horsepower limit

-
yup.. already got the trick flows... they are going on a junk bottom end now just to get the car moving. I know i will regret that.. but will be fun for a bit :)
it will be interesting combo, curious of the outcome :)

Nobody is going to spend that much money and time for a stock block “racing engine”. Dyno Queen like he said to get his name out there only. It wouldn’t survive one of my race seasons.
Nothing wrong with that though.. it's not like he's trying to sell it as an endurance piece :) Built it like a grenade with the pin half pulled... one thing i found odd was it looks like they didn't making receivers for those main caps, i always though that would be a big part of keeping caps in place

With the average parts available us eg. trick flows, 500 hp is the new reasonable goal.

From the sounds of it, it makes it's 735-770hp by 7500 rpms which should put peak tq around 585 lbs-ft which is 1.55 tq:cid.
That engine would last only for a few dyno pulls.
Most of the challenge builds are just dyno mules

it will be interesting combo, curious of the outcome :)

Well.. i'm using a unknown mileage 318 bottom end that i'm not even pulling the caps to look at bearings.. so i know how this will end :) cyls look good, and no discoloration or anything i can visually see on the rods or anything. Literally just bought it to get the car movable and work out bugs before building a long term motor.. if it makes 300hp it will be shocking :)

P.S. i have a weird thing bout pulling main/rod caps that have been together for years just to check stuff... i know it shouldn't be a issue but hate to disturb things like that

Nobody is going to spend that much money and time for a stock block “racing engine”. Dyno Queen like he said to get his name out there only. It wouldn’t survive one of my race seasons.
True, definitely should have an aftermarket block.

I haven’t found the limit of a stock block yet. I will say I race more than most on here and I’m on my second year with this 408. With me in the car it’s gone several 6.01-6.02 passes in Pa and Ohio with 1600-3200 altitude. At 2850 pounds and 113 mph speeds in the 1/8 it should be a hair over 600 horsepower. I know it would go a 9.30 if not better in the 1/4. Not one fancy trick in this block just attention to details. It has gone a 5.98 but my son was driving and he’s lighter.

1/8th Mile ET-MPH-HP Calculator

I haven’t found the limit of a stock block yet. I will say I race more than most on here and I’m on my second year with this 408. With me in the car it’s gone several 6.01-6.02 passes in Pa and Ohio with 1600-3200 altitude. At 2850 pounds and 113 mph speeds in the 1/8 it should be a hair over 600 horsepower. I know it would go a 9.30 if not better in the 1/4. Not one fancy trick in this block just attention to details. It has gone a 5.98 but my son was driving and he’s lighter.

Curious PBR... i see videos of guys doing oil mods like tubing lifter gallerys or the crossover tube in the valley.. for a street motor that will rarely see over 6k you think that's needed?

At what hp level would you start shopping for an aftermarket block?

At what hp level would you start shopping for an aftermarket block?

I have one. It’s gone 5.98 too with my son driving but it only has a solid lifter cam in it so it should be quicker in the future.

Curious PBR... i see videos of guys doing oil mods like tubing lifter gallerys or the crossover tube in the valley.. for a street motor that will rarely see over 6k you think that's needed?

I will never build another 360 block using a solid lifter or roller cam without tubing the block. I’ve seen how much oil comes out of those holes with the intake off while priming an engine. I want that oil on my bearings.

No

Well…..he sold that motor to a guy out West. Guys name is Steve Wasinger(sp)?
He started racing it last season, still racing it this year. Guess the guy was just in a final round with it very recently. Jack told me it’s on YouTube.
Races it I think at some track air/ altitude is typically 6000 feet. Motor is in a Duster, runs 6.40’s

Edit..looks like he is president of a drag racing club in Northern Nevada
About-Us

Last edited:
Well…..he sold that motor to a guy out West. Guys name is Steve Wasinger(sp)?
He started racing it last season, still racing it this year. Guess the guy was just in a final round with it very recently. Jack told me it’s on YouTube.
Races it I think at some track air/ altitude is typically 6000 feet. Motor is in a Duster, runs 6.40’s

Edit..looks like he is president of a drag racing club in Northern Nevada
About-Us

I would need more info. Weight, state, track, how many times a year, etc. some people call themselves a racer but only race 2-3 times a year. Many go to two day races and only race one day. There are racers then there are racers.

Be interesting to keep tabs on it see how many races he gets out of it.

Be interesting to keep tabs on it see how many races he gets out of it.

Not races. Passes. I post my slips almost every race with weather details. I don’t just say well we race in 3500 corrected altitude. The facts are there for you to check.

I would need more info. Weight, state, track, how many times a year, etc. some people call themselves a racer but only race 2-3 times a year. Many go to two day races and only race one day. There are racers then there are racers.

state is Nevada. I would guess he races at Winnemuca. Jack said he races at 6000 feet altitude.
not sure how much he races either, but this is his second year on the motor, so it’s certainly not just a show poodle.
6.40’s at 6000 feet altitude is not slouchy at all. He was recently in a final against a B1 headed dragster, so I would guess he races box

state is Nevada. I would guess he races at Winnemuca. Jack said he races at 6000 feet altitude.
not sure how much he races either, but this is his second year on the motor, so it’s certainly not just a show poodle.
6.40’s at 6000 feet altitude is not slouchy at all. He was recently in a final against a B1 headed dragster, so I would guess he races box

My buddy has had the same engine in his front engine dragster for 30 years. If you would talk to him at the bar you would swear he raced last night. He used to brag about how long his engine is lasting, probably still does to a different crowd.

Ya 6.40’s isn’t telling me crap. Could be it usually runs 6.60’s and at another track he had a new best.

F7BB450E-E074-42A6-9A15-4EB4C35C5448.jpeg

John, I know your trying to defend an opinion you had about the motor when you found out someone is actually on a second year racing it.
Jack told me the guy actually just wanted the heads( Victors), but they made a deal for the whole motor.
Maybe he doesn’t race much, but my guess, as the guy is obviously into drag racing enough to want “exotic” heads 95% of us would never buy, and be President of a drag racing group, my bet is he likely is more than a casual racer. That and the fact he was very recently in a final round. Who knows
picture of him and the car on this page

Last edited:
I will never build another 360 block using a solid lifter or roller cam without tubing the block. I’ve seen how much oil comes out of those holes with the intake off while priming an engine. I want that oil on my bearings.

Seen this kit used on the boobtube, I thought it was interesting. Makes me wonder how much a machine shop would charge to do them.

WydendorfMachine.com - Wydendorf Machine

Seen this kit used on the boobtube, I thought it was interesting. Makes me wonder how much a machine shop would charge to do them.

WydendorfMachine.com - Wydendorf Machine

A customer I met over the winter tried tubing his block and ran into issues. It’s not a fun job and I’ve done 3-4 of them. It costs me the price of two 10 inch pieces of 1/2 inch house copper waterline. He got frustrated and his local shop is bushing his block for I think he told me 450.00-500.00 which is cheap compared to the 600.00 plus I’ve heard. I have a block sitting here that my son ran 6.54 in and it needs tubed. I’ve been pushing it from one spot to another. I used smaller stainless tubing in the block I’m running now and I won’t do that again.

John, I know your trying to defend an opinion you had about the motor when you found out someone is actually on a second year racing it.
Jack told me the guy actually just wanted the heads( Victors), but they made a deal for the whole motor.
Maybe he doesn’t race much, but my guess, as the guy is obviously into drag racing enough to want “exotic” heads 95% of us would never buy, and be President of a drag racing group, my bet is he likely is more than a casual racer. That and the fact he was very recently in a final round. Who knows

You Dont have to raise your voice. I’m trying to avoid hot topics that would make you throw a hissy fit and call me a liar for the third time.

You Dont have to raise your voice. I’m trying to avoid hot topics that would make you throw a hissy fit and call me a liar for the third time.

you need to look in the mirror pal. You hate admitting being wrong. This little back and forth proves it.
Just happened to be someone who was friends with the engine builder watching you put your foot in your mouth…lol..

I dont very often( rarely) call someone a liar. Joe Biden yep.
If I called you a liar, must have been a good reason for it. Dredge up where I said it, let’s look into it instead of you whining like a child and throwing it out there every month or so.
You of all people shouldn’t point fingers about how many laps somebody is making or not making

A customer I met over the winter tried tubing his block and ran into issues. It’s not a fun job and I’ve done 3-4 of them. It costs me the price of two 10 inch pieces of 1/2 inch house copper waterline. He got frustrated and his local shop is bushing his block for I think he told me 450.00-500.00 which is cheap compared to the 600.00 plus I’ve heard. I have a block sitting here that my son ran 6.54 in and it needs tubed. I’ve been pushing it from one spot to another. I used smaller stainless tubing in the block I’m running now and I won’t do that again.
Forget that tube hassle. Send them to me and I'll bush them. Let's you set lifter to bore clearance that way also, rather than being stuck at whatever dimension your old block happens to be

you need to look in the mirror pal. You hate admitting being wrong. This little back and forth proves it.
Just happened to be someone who was friends with the engine builder watching you put your foot in your mouth…lol..

I dont very often( rarely) call someone a liar. Joe Biden yep.
If I called you a liar, must have been a good reason for it. Dredge up where I said it, let’s look into it instead of you whining like a child and throwing it out there every month or so.
You of all people shouldn’t point fingers about how many laps somebody is making or not making
Where exactly is he "wrong"? That high power exotic engine isn't even as fast as pb racers flat tappet 360

-
Back