Smoke free 7 days using Chantix

-
I mark the day I quite like a birthday. It's important to remember the past or you'll be forced to repeat it!

There's a definite depressing time but that only lasts for a while, then you get to feeling better and better. My wife thought I was going to commite suicide in the beginning when I first quit, it was hell...but the clouds cleared and it got better.

I like reading this thread each day
just to help me possibly to get off these damn things, :cussing:
I started sneaking around in the apple orchards when I was about 12 years old.
then started smoking everywhere at 15.
I did quit when I was 22 for almost a year then I went to a pub in Illinois and started back. I have cut way down and do not smoke after 8:00 pm not unless I and drink'in.
Then I am like a smoke stack. :cussing:

I'm on Chantix also... Works pretty good, I find that I really have no urge to smoke. If I do smoke, there's no enjoyment in it. I didn't quit on my "quit date", but did about a week later. I found that between those two dates I went from smoking a pack a day to only 4 or 5 cigarettes a day. Big difference. After that I just kind of lost the urge to smoke altogether. I'm on week 5 now, I haven't bought a pack in 2 weeks.

That stuff sounds pretty good, I wonder if they have it in Canada. Might help me to get the dart finished sooner, and I also have a little one on the way. I have smoked for 23 years and still enjoy it but I know I should quit, Maybe some day.

This Chantix stuff really works. Like mikelbeck said "it takes away the urge". Two tablets a day for 3 months.

You guys have inspired me to try and quit also. I just made a doctors appointment for tomorrow to see if he can prescribe me Chantix. Mike

I don`t smoke, but with what life throws you sometimes I wish I did. I believe that people who want to smoke should have the right to. Our state of Va. just tried to pass a law to outlaw smoking in all restaurants. A lot of bar owners were outraged because their businesses depend on clientele that smoke. Sorry , I`m going off, but once again congratulations on kicking the habit.

Congrats!
I quit in Oct last year after smoking for 35 years. I went smoke free for three months, unfortunately I had Guard duty and was on patrol with a (Buddy) who smoked, needless to say I fell off the wagon and started again. I'll try again this year.
PS Stay away from people who smoke and never, never, never think that one more won't hurt!

Lemme tell ya a little story...

I'm off the Chantix and started smoking again.

After a couple of weeks of being on the medicine and not smoking, I started getting stomach pains. Crazy ones, the kind that would have me doubled over for 10 minutes at a time. Once those stopped, the headaches started. Mostly in the back of the head, like a muscle ache. Those weren't so bad, but then they started creeping forward the front of my head. Felt like a really bad hangover headache. That lasted for about a week. I started to feel... well, just like not doing anything. Blah. I'd come home from work, be completely wiped out and want to do nothing more than go to bed. I couldn't stand to be around people, everybody annoyed the hell out of me. My wife, my boss, the guy on line ahead of me at 7-11, the little kid playing on his front lawn. After a week I realized I was in a pretty serious depression. I called my doctor, told him about the symptoms and he said to lay off the mediciation.

Almost as soon as I stopped, I started getting the headaches again. So now I went through the day with my head throbbing, hating everybody around me and wanting to throw up, then sleep. Nice, right? Not at all, I was completely miserable. A week or so went by and I started to feel a little better, but not much. I'm just now starting to come out of this funk. The headaches are gone, the stomach problems are gone, and I'm smoking again.

Good work guys! I'm rooting for ya! Quitting is the best damn thing you can do for yourself. If you eat donuts and get fat now, that's okay......just keep off the cigarettes/tobacco. You can diet and get into shape later, although getting active is a good way to keep your mind off the smokes and a good way to help you feel good.

Just focus on the goal, quitting smoking. Drink coffee, suck on suckers, chew toothpicks...whatever it takes. If you don't, the smokes will TAKE YOU! Don't be a slave any longer, they are not your master....YOU are the master.

I quit cold turkey and I've never smoked since because I never want to have to quit again, it was hell. It will be hell for you too, but only for a while then it will get better and better and one day you'll wonder how the hell you could ever smoke those damn things!

You'll have money like you won't believe too! Put $20 a week in a jar on your dresser and spend it on luxury items like things for your car or going out or a new shirt or new hifi equipment. Treat yourself because you've broken out of prison and you never want to go back!!

Good luck.
Neil.

i must confess. im a part time smoker. im a salesman at the local dodge dealership. every one here smokes!! i do my best not to smoke at work and havent yet. that makes me feel good. its hard to sell a car when you smell. yuk! so what i do is smoke when i get home and have a beer. much more rewarding for me. its hard to go all day,but its a start to quitting.

Keep up the good work guys. It is a hsrd habit to kick. I put them down 10 1/2 weeks ago. but I still chew, so I guess it really doesn't count. Now if I could just give that up i would be doing good.

Glad to see that you're making an effort to quit; I came very close, but I'm not there yet. My first try was at the beginning of the year, I posted a link on bigblockdart.com that I found which was very helpful. It's in my first post; I highly recommend you check it out as there is some very good info and encouragement on there. I eventually caved, but I was proud of the fact that I was able to go so long without a puff...

http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,13755.0.html

Believe it or not, I didn't start until I was 24! Then I smoked until I was 29, I was in the hospital after I broke my pelvis and wrist at work. I couldn't do anything but smoke and drink, I got so tired of all of it that I quit both, I decided to change my life. Drinking was easy, but , smoking was hard! It went in 2's for me,2 weeks was brutal, 2 months was bad, 2 years I didn't crave it at all. Then after 7 years, I had one smoke and I have smoked ever since. I tryed Zyban, it worked good, but I got majorly itchy on it,acupuncture worked briefly, now I am gonna try hypnotism or the patch. When I did quit for 7 years, the only thing that I noticed was the uneasyness was gone- like wheres my smokes? my lighter? enough money to buy smokes etc. I did feel a bit better physically too. Non smokers like my own family don't understand this and I vow when I quit again, I will never have even one puff again! You never quit smoking, you just stop! But then again, that goes for all addictions! You don't have to quit what you don't start, Wow! I should be on the DR. Phil show! Seriously guys, food for thought..... Tom

how much does this stuff cost, i dont smoke but my girlfriend does and she wants to quit but cant, personally i dont think she has the will power, plus her friends all smoke....lame :cussing:

memike said:
It is time for me to quit !!
It would be the best, and smartest thing for me to do the same.
My wife smokes and has been at a new job for about a year.
So it may take me to quite first, Then ask her too.

Hey Mike,
Maybe mention to your wife that you wonder if there is any lingering cigarette smoke smell on the wonderful products she makes. It's a possibility :sad1: I work in the the L&D department at my hopital occasionally and chicks freak out about cigarette smoking near their newborns. BTW congrats to the little lady on her TV segment. Not trying to be rude or out of line.

A prescription can be helpful to many people but the desire must be there. I've been trying to get my stepmom to quit for years. She doesn't want to and I know it has had a profound effect on my Dad's health recently and that really pisses me off. I'll be re-hashing it with her soon. Oh and my Sister too.

Chantix works for about 70%. As you can see from mikelbeck's post there can be side effects. This stuff is about $120 for 4 weeks. With my employer drug plan it is $50. You still have to want to quit.

How's everyone doing with the quit smoking campaign?

My co-worker just quit today, so he says. He's been coughing and coughing for weeks and the doctor told him he had allergies and prescribed an inhaler! Hahaha...didn't do anything. Today he almost coughed up a lung and said "That's it, that was my last smoke. I quit." I've seen him quit before, so I teased him a bit but deep down I really hope he can do it.

Pray or cheer or whatever for him guys, he needs it.

OK, I hate to say it, because i'll jinx myself, but, I started the pills without a quit date, but was thinking Sunday forth coming.

daves66valiant said:
Hey Mike,
Maybe mention to your wife that you wonder if there is any lingering cigarette smoke smell on the wonderful products she makes. It's a possibility :sad1: I work in the the L&D department at my hopital occasionally and chicks freak out about cigarette smoking near their newborns. BTW congrats to the little lady on her TV segment. Not trying to be rude or out of line.

A prescription can be helpful to many people but the desire must be there. I've been trying to get my stepmom to quit for years. She doesn't want to and I know it has had a profound effect on my Dad's health recently and that really pisses me off. I'll be re-hashing it with her soon. Oh and my Sister too.
Thanks Dave she said that she is sure that you are right and she take's precaution and don't smoke at work and don't smoke when she is building baby cake's. I talked to my doctor's nurse over the phone and told
her I need some help to quit again. Just reading this post make's it a little easier to get started on my own. Treva thanks you for your help and concern . I need to quit a soon as I can just incase I have to go under the knife for any reason. They say the anaesthesia will work better and my blood vain's will be stronger for any surgery I may have to have.
And I need to be around when my granddaughter go's out to by her first car.
Thanks again Dave. :headbang:

I quit in 89 after 11 years of smoking. Several people at work were using shock treatment and straws on some stop smoking bus the owner of the company called in to help people stop smoking. I'm a tight wad. I decided to quit on my own. When quiting I used the idea of the straws I saw other people using. Cut a piece of plastic straw about 3 inches long and use it like a cig. That really did help. It's tough at first and you can really turn into a jerk, but it's worth it. For the 1st few weeks, some people were telling me to start back so I wouldn't be such an A..hole.

Check out this smokin' monkey!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j-TcVR17c0&mode=related&search=

Smoke1.jpg

Smoke2.jpg

Smoke3.jpg

I made it a year and I am here to support anyone else who decides to start this noble adventure.

-
Back