So Hypothetically.....(318 swap)

-

Redevil

Sedan Lover
Reaction score
From what I've gathered for info over thep ast few days of searching and reading...

1.if I buy the schumacher mounts for a 318 swap into my 66 Dart, I wont need to swap the K frame

2.if I have a 904 tranny on the back of my slant six (225 ci), it should bolt right up to the 318

3.all I'll need to do is get a few bits such as a kickdown and whatnot, and it should be a straight forward swap.

anything I've missed?

Oh boy,this is gonna take a minute,you wont need a k frame swap,you will need v 8 centerlink for the steering,v 8 engine mounts and v 8 transmission and v 8 gas pedal and related parts,and v 8 for early a body exhaust manifolds those are definately specific but I think later v 8 manifolds could be used if you have an artist for an exhaust guy.you wont be needing a drive shaft if you stay with the 904 trans

and i think the k is the same as the 6 in an early a (pre 67) isnt it?

1. Stock 273 mounts will work fine since the slants and the V8s used the same K member until '67.

2. A slant transmission will not bolt to a V8 because the block pattern is different. You will need a V8 transmission. Fortunately, the powertrain length is the same so you will not have to cut the driveshaft and the transmission mount is in the same place. They even use the same mount.

3. You will need a kickdown of some sort (stock or cable kit), a cable throttle pedal assembly (your slant should have a rod setup), a V8 radiator, a V8 center link for the steering, a 90 degree or remote oil filter adapter, and some sort of exhaust. Stock A body V8 manifolds work fine for most uses. You have to be a real masochist to want headers on an early A and clearance is an issue since the engine bay is the narrowest of all A bodies.

Not required but a nice touch are beefier torsion bars and better brakes than the stock 9 inchers. You may also want to check into a rear axle upgrade since the stock 7 1/4" won't last very long behind a V8. Hope this helps and good luck with the swap. If you have any more questions, sing out.

you won't need the driveshaft since a 66 has a slip yoke and the length will be the same too if you stay with a 904, and yes you will need a V8 904. also the 66 already has a dropped centerlink. unless you run header like tti's, spitfires, etc you will need the 64-66 drivers side exhaust manifold. unless you happen to be lucky and find the early -a- gas pedal and realated pieces plus the kickdown setup look into lokar or others for the kickdown and even a universal gas pedal setup. also you might want to look at a newer pass. side water pump and radiator setup for ease of finding components.

Right on guy's!!!!! I just did not feel like saying all of that. I am in the middle of doing exactly what your doing. The only thing I have not located yet is the V8 linkage from gas pedal to carb. I did get a V8 gas pedal though.

I did not know that I could buy stuff to work from one of these companies though. That might be an easier way to go.

I,m in the middle of doing the swap,as we speak.Do you have power or manual steering?Also mines a 360 and I,m useing spitfire headers.I went with a 72 Duster gas peddle and cable.Less hassle.Any questions PM me?Glad to help!

I am putting a 340 and an 8 3/4 in my 66 Dart this summer.
Thanks for the info!8)

-
Back