So, what's my Dart worth?

-

LXguy

Reaction score
Well, things are going pretty bad around here, so I'm considering selling my Dart once the good weather hits.

Its a two owner 1971 Dart Swinger. Has 35K miles on it. Car is very very solid. Needs no body work. No rust issues. Has been repainted, not the greatest job maybe, but everyone tells me the car looks great.

New vinyl top and had professional repairs done to the very minor rust underneath while it was apart, resealed teh front and rear glass at the same time.

Was a 318/904/7.25 originally. Now has a 5.9 Magnum/BUILT 904/8-3/4 with 4.11 posi.

5.9 has custom hydraulic roller camshaft, iron ram heads, air gap, hooker coated headers, TTI exhaust (though it has dumps instead of tailpipes). Turns 6500 RPM no problem.

904 has billet input shaft, A&A brake, $800 Ultimate converter, good clutches, basically all the stuff.

Has front disk and Caltracs rear package.

New Prostar wheels, Moser axles.

Interior is original and very clean.

I didn't build the thing to sell it of course, and have no illusions about recouping my money. I'm trying to decide whether it'd be better to pull the engine trans and put something stockish back in there and sell that separately.

dartone.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

Any input is appreciated.

I myself dont know exactly what it would be worht but if I was in the market I would be willing to pay around $7500

Remember, you did say any input is appreciated. Having said that, the car would be more desirable to me without all the drag race stuff. Lose the 5.9 magnum, the built 904, and the 4.11 gears and replace them with something more driver friendly and it will sell quicker. As it sits now the car has limited appeal and you would have to find a buyer with the same taste that you have. A car that nice with a stock power train would sell quicker and bring almost as much money. Then all you would have to do is find someone to take the 5.9 drive train off your hands. To be blunt, I look at your Dart and see another wannabe drag racer 360 belly button instead of a nice home for the 426 Max Wedge that is taking up space in the garage.

Well here goes..... Low milage cars are worth bucks no matter what you have in it. Ron Kowalke from Old cars price guide in 09 are as follows;

Number 1 condition 12k (usually no car is a one)
Number 3 condition 5.4 k (alot of show cars are in this cat)
Number 4 condition 2.4 k (drivers)

With all of your built up stuff on it I would suggest a Russo and Steele or Kruse auction. Folks like the turn key Retro/reliable stuff these days.

Also have it appriased by an old car expert. Most price guides, like the one I listed are for stock cars. Your mods are inestimatible, thats why I think an auction would do you good, put a reserve that you can live with and go for it.

That is a really nice Dart. 8 to 9500 would be a good starting point. Im sure there are alot of guys who would love to have a "finished" car for less than 10 grand. But with this economy like it is, mite not be any takers.

With all of your built up stuff on it I would suggest a Russo and Steele or Kruse auction. Folks like the turn key Retro/reliable stuff these days.

Been some bad stuff out there lately about auctions, particularly Kruse. I'd proceed very carefully here.

As to selling this beautiful car due to hard times, well, it's understandable that you probably still would like to feed your family and sometimes, you have to set priorities, but the value of this car is seriously depressed in this market. If you get less than 10K, as is likely, you will regret it eventually. I'd sooner take a side job, work Rotten Ronnies, or deliver pizza than part with a car like this for a few thousand dollars.

Put a 318 in it and sell it for $7500,nice car!Save the 360 for when your back in the game.Hope all is well.

-
Back