Some snags with my conversion

-
Ok so ready to testing but something does not look right. I measured my air gap about 10 times. With it installed, there is a space between the face of the bearing and the fingers of about .145 using a piece of metal as a feeler gauge. While that seems correct it looks cavernous to the eye. Is this correct? Did I do something horribly wrong? I’m on the home stretch of buttoning stuff up so I’d rather pull trans now to re shim before more stuff gets bolted on

It is fully compressed, I have not put fluid to it yet, so maybe it pre loads further out?

View attachment 1716224918

Fluid in it or not will make zero difference.
Keep in mind that gap will close up a bit after the flywheel, disc and pressure plate settle in together.
(Usually within a couple of short drives)
Try not to push the pedal all the way to the floor for a bit if you can help it.

.145 is within spec, isn't it, wasn't it .120-.160? I wanna say mine was about the same as yours. You need to leave a gap for when the clutch disc wears and the pressure plate fingers stick out more, but too big of a gap I think results in the clutch pedal needing to be pushed down further for it to disengage.

Yes that’s exactly what’s called for, but seeing it installed is unsettling for lack of a better word

Sooooo, latest is the reverse rod will hit how I ran the x pipe… can’t win for losing but it’s a fun game none the less

Just filled trans in car, I’m sure this has been done before but this was my $10 idea to make it a snap and not spill a drop

IMG_2988.jpeg

I've got one of those for quart sized bottles and gallon sized bottles. They can be a life saver!

I like the treaded piece to screw into the fill plug hole.

Funny you say that, I forgot I had the quart size one that used to fill my ford trans years ago.... Oops... Yes I thought the fitting was a good idea and it worked really well.

Started the car, put just the rear in the air and rowed through the gears.

Weird noise on the passenger side, like something was hitting and went away. Put the car in the air and cannot see any evidence of anything hitting. Turning motor over with flywheel tool and can't hear or see anything. Very strange... Seems fine now but that does not always mean its ok...

Just a collector leak, easy fix.

Update on the Malwood system with Hydramax. Works great in driveway and backlane testing.

As far as pedal feel and effort, with actual seat installed it is like a brand new Hyundai for example effort wise.

Very pleased so far.

With it installed, there is a space between the face of the bearing and the fingers of about .145 using a piece of metal as a feeler gauge. While that seems correct it looks cavernous to the eye. Is this correct?

.145 is within spec, isn't it, wasn't it .120-.160?

i thought of this thread while reading the instructions for my McLeod setup a week after I installed it without reading them first. Anyway, McLeod calls for 1/4" between the throwout bearing and the pressure plate fingers. So comparatively 0.145 isn't really a big gap.

It just looks unsettling, but as per everything I read, and witnessed with mine the gap vanishes once its bled and in use. Meaning it would be way too tight if installed without gap, and leaving no room for disc wear.

-
Back