Someone needs to start re-casting 340 blocks

-
my '72 D200 has a factory 360. They work well in that application, tons of grunt and has the driving feel of a big block.
Not even close to the grunt of a big block, not even the lowly 383. lol
The worst thing Mopar ever did is to put a low compression 360 in a 5000# truck

That’s the only thing a 383 is good for. A 5000 pound truck. Lol and it wouldn’t be my first three choices for that job.

Maybe my case is different, mine has longtube headers, 4-bbl intake and recurved distributor but stock 2-bbl cam and it'll do 0-60 in about 8 seconds with 727, 3.54:1 full-floating D60 and 33" all terrains. Very little throttle input needed to get the truck moving. And it weighs about 4400# with me in it. I imagine a bigger engine can still do better but it's way more grunt than a 318, that's the sure.

Ok back on topic here how'd we go from re-casting 340 blocks to talking about the "dog" 383 :) :):)

I'm just curious (and didn't read back) What's wrong with the ritter blocks? isn't that as good as a 340 block?

I'm just curious (and didn't read back) What's wrong with the ritter blocks? isn't that as good as a 340 block?
Think the OP was talking about a relatively cheap re-placement block for average 340 builds.

Having someone cast a new 340 block would literally cost the same as a ritter block... the engineering/casting/material would end up in the same ballpark.. Or at least close enough to the ballpark to make using a stock type block kinda silly..
That what was the sentiment of most of the replies.

So.. i was just looking up ritter info cause i don't know much bout them (seems they used to have bad issues..) i found this pic and anyone know why the dist drive gear would be all drilled out like this? inertia and weight? although it's a pretty small gear to start with..
View attachment 1716247273
If it's for weight, someone is an idiot. Yep, swiss cheese your drive gear for another .0030 of a horsepower.

If it's for weight, someone is an idiot. Yep, swiss cheese your drive gear for another .0030 of a horsepower.
The guy replied below it (i looked after posting here of course) said it removed over an ounce from the gear and also let more oil into the bushing area and he wasn't driving the oil pump so no real pressure on the gear.

The volume would be the problem.

I was at Ritter's place 3 or 4 years ago, at that time he told me was into his block program for $250k and I know they went through a 3rd revision after that. So he has easily sunk $300k in the project.

The problems are largely resolved now.

The volume would be the problem.

I was at Ritter's place 3 or 4 years ago, at that time he told me was into his block program for $250k and I know they went through a 3rd revision after that. So he has easily sunk $300k in the project.

The problems are largely resolved now.
I hope he makes the money back eventually and stays around.. i will never have need of a block like that but it would be cool :)

I hope he makes the money back eventually and stays around.. i will never have need of a block like that but it would be cool :)
Last time I was down at Harshman's dropping my stuff off, there was about 6 or 7 of them sitting there in the que.

Last time I was down at Harshman's dropping my stuff off, there was about 6 or 7 of them sitting there in the que.

I don't spin over 6k.... i think it would be overkill :)

-
Back