Sound deadening, Carpet, and floor pan repair questions

-
Just speaking from my experience with replacing floor pans make sure you inspect it really well. I found a small hole underneath the car about the size of my pinky I thought that's no big deal when I pulled the seats and insulation out I found I had a much bigger problem than I thought it was pretty much rotted from the rear seat to the firewall on the passenger side. Even the places that wasnt rusted thru has enough surface rust and pitting that I didnt have anything to weld too.

It's always bigger than what you initially find. Always.

Then he can do both sides. I'm seriously considering it. A lot of the magazine builds have done it and reported great success. I drive mine almost everyday and I can tell you from direct experience that it does not radiate heat at all. ....and we live 20 minutes away from the nearest town, so we're in the road when we're in the road. 20 minutes to Gray. 30 minutes to Macon or Milledgeville. We're on the road sometimes an hour before we get to where we are going so it's not like a drive around the block.

I do agree completely with your point.....and maybe on a longer road trip we might experience that...and if we do, I'll be adding another layer to the outside.

Are you talking about the Dynamat or the Dynapad?

I agree that the Dynamat type stuff is probably not much of an issue on heat retention, as it is not that thick.

I was talking about using the Dynapad. That is about 1/2 inch thick and weighs about a pound a square foot. There is a lot of thermal mass there.

Sometimes in my long winded dissertations I tend to obscure or miss the point....

Are you talking about the Dynamat or the Dynapad?

I agree that the Dynamat type stuff is probably not much of an issue on heat retention, as it is not that thick.

I was talking about using the Dynapad. That is about 1/2 inch thick and weighs about a pound a square foot. There is a lot of thermal mass there.

Sometimes in my long winded dissertations I tend to obscure or miss the point....

Oh lord. I am talking about killmat. Once installed, it's less then 1/8 after it's rolled on. Who would put something thick as 1/2" on their car? That seems counter productive on every level. lol Long winded? Naw, you ain't AJ. LOL

Oh lord. I am talking about killmat. Once installed, it's less then 1/8 after it's rolled on. Who would put something thick as 1/2" on their car? That seems counter productive on every level. lol Long winded? Naw, you ain't AJ. LOL

Yep, I agree on the 1/2 inch. Apparently some folks are using it, as mentioned by the op. Maybe they cut it up in pieces and put it only in certain spots like the factory padding on carpet.

Yep, I agree on the 1/2 inch. Apparently some folks are using it, as mentioned by the op. Maybe they cut it up in pieces and put it only in certain spots like the factory padding on carpet.

If it has the metal foil on it like most, THAT would be good to go on the underside of the car. .....even still it's too thick and heavy "for me". The dang killmat is heavy enough.

If it has the metal foil on it like most, THAT would be good to go on the underside of the car. .....even still it's too thick and heavy "for me". The dang killmat is heavy enough.

Yes I was talking about the dynapad. The idea is to put down the butyl sound later with foil (dynamat or kilmat or similar) over as much or as little of the car as you want. I’m planning on doing as close to 100% coverage in the cabin as possible. Underside of the dash, floor pans, doors, kick panels, firewall, package tray, roof; as well as most of the trunk (sides, spare tire compartment, deck lid, wheel wells.

Those thin 80 mil sheets are advertised to Insulate some, but primarily be a sound barrier, so they suggest you put something else to do more actual insulation. Noico makes Noico Red, which is 150 mils thick, but is not dense. They advertise it for the deck lid and trunk, as well roof, and firewall. Someplace where it won’t get mushed around (like under your feet). Then Dynamat makes Dynapad which comes in thicknesses of: 1/8”, 1/4”, and 1/2”. It’s dense and is supposed to be used in the same places as Noico Red, but also under carpet. I was considering doing kilmat everywhere, and then Dynapad in 1/8” under the carpet where your feet sit and on the firewall and roof.

But that’s just a theory. Kilmat is cheap so I can easily do 100% coverage. But Dynapad is significantly more expensive, so I will not do nearly 100% coverage. I don’t plan on adding jute under the carpet if I add another layer of insulator/sound deadening.

Yes I was talking about the dynapad. The idea is to put down the butyl sound later with foil (dynamat or kilmat or similar) over as much or as little of the car as you want. I’m planning on doing as close to 100% coverage in the cabin as possible. Underside of the dash, floor pans, doors, kick panels, firewall, package tray, roof; as well as most of the trunk (sides, spare tire compartment, deck lid, wheel wells.

Those thin 80 mil sheets are advertised to Insulate some, but primarily be a sound barrier, so they suggest you put something else to do more actual insulation. Noico makes Noico Red, which is 150 mils thick, but is not dense. They advertise it for the deck lid and trunk, as well roof, and firewall. Someplace where it won’t get mushed around (like under your feet). Then Dynamat makes Dynapad which comes in thicknesses of: 1/8”, 1/4”, and 1/2”. It’s dense and is supposed to be used in the same places as Noico Red, but also under carpet. I was considering doing kilmat everywhere, and then Dynapad in 1/8” under the carpet where your feet sit and on the firewall and roof.

But that’s just a theory. Kilmat is cheap so I can easily do 100% coverage. But Dynapad is significantly more expensive, so I will not do nearly 100% coverage. I don’t plan on adding jute under the carpet if I add another layer of insulator/sound deadening.

I did put something else. Carpet. That's insulation enough. LOL

I got lucky and found some commercial generator insulation at a swap meet. It has one side with a heavy foil covering.

It's a black foam type of product.

A 5x10 sheet was $20.00. I used it in the sleeper on my 379 Peterbilt...worked great.

As mentioned above, everyone sells the same ACC carpet. Just shop for the lowest price + shipping. I did Stock Interiors the first time, Rock auto the second. Rock autos shipping was cheaper. Splurge and buy the mass backing. Carpet holds its shape much better. I think it is worth the money, having done it both ways.

Don’t by Dynamat. Massively overpriced. There are generic equivalents. I bought Noico from Amazon. Same stuff except way cheaper. Only difference was that the aluminum foil was a little thinner. Buy it in as big of sheets as possible. Makes the job easier. Use aluminum furnace tape to seal seams.

I put the Noico stuff everywhere I could, on the firewall, under the door panels, in the trunk, on the wheelhouses. Kinda went nuts with it, but the car is really quiet now. Doesn’t seem like it sticks all that well at first, but after a few temp cycles, it won’t ever come loose.
I used nicotine also good price quality product got it from Amazon, do a search there's a good article comparing different brands

On my Barracuda I used Kilmat, and UltraTouch denim insulation from Home Depot. The denim insulation is about 1/2" thick a has a foil side and is glued over the Kilmat then all seams and edges are then taped with foil hvac tape. Works well. I first seen it used in light aircraft.
Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Company sells a version of the UltraTouch with foil on both sides.

I started with lizard skin and I dont think it did a damn thing, but I had the interior out.

I used Noico 80mm on top of the lizard skin.
I went inside doors over wheel wells etc. I would say I have 90% coverage. If I remember right I used 4 boxes in my 67 dart.
I even made a steel trunk divider and put the noico stuff on both sides of that.

It did quiet it down a bit but it's still loud.
I run tti x pipe with the dynomax super turbo. I have debated getting quieter mufflers (must be getting old)

Interesting. Comparable insulators to Dynapad seem to be from the HVAC world. I’ll stop by Home Depot or a local store and see what I can find. At something like $80 for 10sq.ft, Dynapad isn’t attractive. If I can find a foil backed product specifically to keep out heat, without being too thick or crushable, that would be ideal. I want it for the firewall and the floorpans so your feet stay nice and cool, and so A/C doesn’t have to work as hard.

I’ll get some Kilmat ordered pretty soon probably and start shopping around at hardware stores for an insulator. Thanks for everyone’s input. I’ll update this thread.

PS. It might take me a bit to get around to any install. My estranged mother passed away from covid yesterday and it hit me pretty hard. Have lots of arrangements to make for her.

So sorry about your mother. My thoughts to you.

I've got stock exhaust right now, it's plenty quiet, but the road noise is insane and the heat here in the south makes your feet hot

Not sure what you define as 'road noise'. The road itself is basically quiet. Your tires can make noise, your (especially manual) transmission can make noise and your (car's) rear end can definitely resonate some noise. Yes, some of this can be 'masked' - but I would get to the root of the particular offender. Factory didn't need to add acres of insulation (other than original jute) so why should we?
My Signet's only evident noise while driving is from around the doors and or side windows - due to original weather seal having shrunk slightly. Quarter windows also major culprits. Me? I would correct any wind noise first and then correct whatever driveline component noise.

You said you put it on the wheelhouses, did you do that in the engine bay and the trunk and is it sitting on top or on the inside? I know some companies make a spray on to coat the inner wheelwells to make it quieter
Lizard Skin Liner

I bought 50 sq ft of 50mil Kilmat through Amazon. $87 shipped. 2 hours this afternoon, and I still have enough left to cover under & behind the back seat. I thought it would be thicker, but install was a breeze.

F08ADCC7-9114-4C24-8A26-ACB78D0C5C81.jpeg

729FD242-DA90-4810-9223-8C054102B23E.jpeg

Other locations to use Kilmer are the inside of the door skins, quart panels behind the quarter windows, and roof skin before a new headliner.

Any update on this? I am deciding between jute or mat to put in my car

no update yet! I’ve got the Kilmat 80mil, 72ft^2 of it. Need to replace some very rotted floor pans before I can install it.

I'm in the process of doing the inside of my Dart with Dynamat products. I am particularly in favor of using DynaPad on the floor, firewall. This stuff is thick, made of 3 dissimilar layers and is not adhesive backed. On the floor you can lay it down and take it up with the carpet if you need to do anything attached to the floorpan. I'm planning to run it all the way up the firewall where the original board and insulation stuff was. I saved the old boards and removed the fiberglass insulation and will use them to support the non adhesive dynamat using the factory style plastic push through anchors. Then I'll use dynamat on the roof, doors and quarters.

Two ideas I'm considering that I would like thoughts on:

Since the car is down to a bare shell what are the pros and cons to putting the adhesive dynamat inside the doors on the inside of the outer door/quarter shell, rather than on the inside door shell right under the interior door panel?

Will it work to insulate where the board trunk divider is and the package shelf, rather than doing the trunk? Since I don't plan to ride in the trunk, it seems like unneeded expense to do the inside of the whole trunk.

-
Back