Spindle ID as nothing fits?

-

MR4V

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Duster with larger ball joint control arms & SBP wheels. I,m fitting up Wilwood brakes & the caliper mounting braket wont line up on the spindle.

I have checked the Wilwood kit & the braket part number is correct, I, starting to think that these spindles have been drilled out to take the large ball joints.

What spindles do I have?
KarlsEBay308_zpsfe1c4db3.jpg

KarlsEBay310_zpsf107838a.jpg

KarlsEBay311_zps804d2e03.jpg

As you can see below the mounting braket is not even close.

KarlsEBay312_zps0a9e3c44.jpg

The kit number is 140-11019 & the spindle is completly different in their assembly instructions
[ame]http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds765.pdf[/ame]

These are the drum brakes it came with.
KarlsEBay150.jpg

Help me sort this out as it's doing my head in.

It's because you're trying to install a kit for disc spindles on to drum spindles.

In other words, you should have started with a car with factory disc brakes to use that kit.

It's because you're trying to install a kit for disc spindles on to drum spindles.

In other words, you should have started with a car with factory disc brakes to use that kit.

Alright that makes sense.
I tried a drum brake kit & it was in compatible as well.

So what do I need to make this fit?
Can I just change the spindles & which ones do I need?
Found these in memebers classifieds
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=227464

what happened to the drum brake kit?

those 73- sbp spindles are odd-- wilwood might have the correct bracket, Lawrence

what happened to the drum brake kit?

those 73- sbp spindles are odd-- wilwood might have the correct bracket, Lawrence

Hi Lawrence

Your right I can not find anything on 1973 sbp spindles so it's odd.
Searched Wilwood site with no luck, someone should be able to tell me what spindles I need & if I can still use the large ball joint control arms.

Still have the sbp drums, with over 350rwhp it's just a bit scary to stop.

Cheers

9" drum brake spindles?

You need some 73-76 A body or FMJ spindles from what the instructions show.

I have a pair of FMJ spindles for a bunch less than that one ad if you are interested.

9" drum brake spindles?

You need some 73-76 A body or FMJ spindles from what the instructions show.

I have a pair of FMJ spindles for a bunch less than that one ad if you are interested.

PM sent.

I need some educating, what are FMJ sindles?
Can they be used with the control arms I have?
Are they drop spindles?

Cheers
Karl

Have you checked to see if you even have BBJs on the car? This has recently came to light about 1973 using the 9" drums and it is said that some are SBJ.

I know they would use up the remaining parts in transition years. Still I thought as a rule of thumb small bolt pattern hubs dictated small upper ball joints.

I know they would use up the remaining parts in transition years. Still I thought as a rule of thumb small bolt pattern hubs dictated small upper ball joints.

If 73 up had 10" drums they had BBJ just like the disc brakes. It seems like there are a few 9" drum cars floating around with small BBJ. Supposedly the 9" drums were discontinued in 1974. There is a superceded part number on the LBJ. There is a pretty detailed thread on here about it someplace.

Here is the thread.....
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=224899

Keep one thing in mind... The only thing you can be sire about with MaMopar is that you can't be sure about anything!

73-76 not sure all the cut -off years-- there were 10" sbp drum brake cars-- do not know if they have large or small upper control arms-- measure the ball joint flanges-- should be 1.9" something if they are the large style.

FWIW, I'm not endorsing the FMJ spindles. They overangle ball joints, IMO.

I looked on Wilwoods' site and didn't see any kit to fit drum brake cars in the year specified.

This is partially why I'm content with OEM binders.

73-76 not sure all the cut -off years-- there were 10" sbp drum brake cars-- do not know if they have large or small upper control arms-- measure the ball joint flanges-- should be 1.9" something if they are the large style.

Ball joints are K772, ball joint flange is 1.9", drums have 10" on the inside of them & definatly SBP.

Just reading up on FJM spindles, it's interesting reading.

FWIW, I'm not endorsing the FMJ spindles. They overangle ball joints, IMO.

That absolute and total CYA legal mumbo-jumbo from the original article. Not to mention the many A body cars that have never had a failure from this alleged overangling issue. Even the writer of that article has never seen or known of a failure from angle.

That absolute and total CYA legal mumbo-jumbo from the original article. Not to mention the many A body cars that have never had a failure from this alleged overangling issue. Even the writer of that article has never seen or known of a failure from angle.

One thing I dont understand Rob is why make 2 different spindles if they are the same?...Thats what I have trouble understanding
And shouldnt upper and lower arm be parralel to eachother?

The taller spindle is the "later" spindle. The reason could be better geometry (according to Bill Reilly) or because the control arm mounting points are farther apart (pure guesswork on my part).

Control arms are of the unequal length variety and will rarely be parallel, if ever...

-
Back