spindle question

-

honested

Reaction score
I have started to build a 64 valiant 2 door post that will get a 340 for power and a 8 3/4 rear end with 4 wheel disk brakes it has 9 inch drums on the front right now . A friend has a willwood set up that is new in the box he will let me have cheap but its for 65 -74 with 10 inch brake spindles my question is will spindles from a 68 barracuda be a direct fit with out changing upper control arms sory for the long post :banghead:

From all I have read "yes". Perhaps they say 65 up because that might have been the first year w/ 10" drums. To satisfy yourself, verify on rockauto the same PN for upper and lower ball joints between 9" and 10" drums. The lower ball joint was different for factory disk cars, but not your issue.

No they will not fit unless you get a upper control arm bushing from Dr. Diff.... Or change your upper control arms to the big ball joint....

No they will not fit unless you get a upper control arm bushing from Dr. Diff.... Or change your upper control arms to the big ball joint....

Wrong read the OP he is asking about 10 drum spindles. The bushing is only needed when you switch to the newer single piston disc spindles. The upper balljoint is the same for 9,10 inch drum spindles and the same even on the KH spindles.

Wrong read the OP he is asking about 10 drum spindles. The bushing is only needed when you switch to the newer single piston disc spindles. The upper balljoint is the same for 9,10 inch drum spindles and the same even on the KH spindles.

Hey don't be a Frigg'n Jerk you retard, I did read it..... Now that you mention it I am wrong, you jostled my memory with the KH disk brakes..... I have no problem accepting when I am wrong or made a mistake

If I wasn't on an Aircraft Carrier right now defending your Freedom I'd kick your ***....

I have started to build a 64 valiant 2 door post that will get a 340 for power and a 8 3/4 rear end with 4 wheel disk brakes it has 9 inch drums on the front right now . A friend has a willwood set up that is new in the box he will let me have cheap but its for 65 -74 with 10 inch brake spindles my question is will spindles from a 68 barracuda be a direct fit with out changing upper control arms sory for the long post :banghead:

Can you take pictures as you go? That would be cool to see the Wilwood conversion on a small A-Body.... Don't do what I did and not put a jack stand under the lower control arm when you take the old stuff off....... there is an Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Hey don't be a Frigg'n Jerk you retard, I did read it..... Now that you mention it I am wrong, you jostled my memory with the KH disk brakes..... I have no problem accepting when I am wrong or made a mistake

If I wasn't on an Aircraft Carrier right now defending your Freedom I'd kick your ***....

Do not feed others incorrect info and I will not have to correct it. As for the name calling and threats you must not be much of a man. I did not attack nor threaten you so grow up.

What a cry baby wuss! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :finga:
Do not feed others incorrect info and I will not have to correct it. As for the name calling and threats you must not be much of a man. I did not attack nor threaten you so grow up.

Ditto!!!!!!

ahhhh, I may have slightly over reacted......

.............. Ever had a bad day on at work trying to Launch Super-Hornets....

Just torqued me how I took it..... I do want to punch someone out, just no one on the board here... pretty Long line on the boat though.

My apologies ChryslerFAT.....

OH, eat a snickers bar huh? Good! Best to relax buddy. Good to see your getting there. ;)

Can't say I had a day like that yor having, though I'm sure we all have a bear of a cross to carry or handle from time to time. Takeit light brother!

OH, eat a snickers bar huh? Good! Best to relax buddy. Good to see your getting there. ;)

Can't say I had a day like that yor having, though I'm sure we all have a bear of a cross to carry or handle from time to time. Takeit light brother!

hah hah I need a whole case of Snickers Bars today! The other Big issue is I can't drive an Early A-Body for another few weeks!!!!

So I don't want my outrage to steal this thread so I do have a question on the Wilwood....

So 10inch drum spindle, does the Wilwood bolt right on or is there any cutting or grinding? I did hear on BBST(?) system there are some holes that get drilled on the spindle.. I only ask because I am looking at a wagon that I would put the spindle on and make the swap and do a dual circuit master..... I also heard 15 inch rims only

I will take pics and let you know on the direct bolt on .I just picked up the kit today they say race only but the car is so lite I don't think I will have any issus thanks to everyone for the info

I got the 68 spidles of today and compaired them to the 64 valiant spindles and the balljoint alighnment is very different it looks like the 68 spindles are going to through the caster way off it may have enough adjustment in the eccentrics on the upper control arms just asking to see if any one has done this before

I got the 68 spidles of today and compaired them to the 64 valiant spindles and the balljoint alighnment is very different it looks like the 68 spindles are going to through the caster way off it may have enough adjustment in the eccentrics on the upper control arms just asking to see if any one has done this before

What you are seeing is the spindle arm on a 9 inch is at 90 degrees and the 10 inch is straight. This is ok and will not throw the caster out because if you were to locate the centerline on both they are the same even though they are cast to look different.

Just so I am following correctly,did you obtain the 10" spindle along
with the lower ball joint/steering arm? IIRC the lower ball joint changed as well as the
bolt hole orientation between those years,or maybe between 9" vs 10" ? I don't have
any 10" drum knuckles here to eyeball,just early and late 9" and the '73&up disc,......
:coffee2:

Yes I have the lower balljoint as well but they look like they will interchange the bolts mesure the same distance but with both spindles off the 68 top and bottom balljoints are straight accross where the 9 in spindles the top balljoint is about a inch foward from the bottom

Yes I have the lower balljoint as well but they look like they will interchange the bolts mesure the same distance but with both spindles off the 68 top and bottom balljoints are straight accross where the 9 in spindles the top balljoint is about a inch foward from the bottom

As I said they look different because the 9 inch has a 90 degree hook to it. The spindle centerline is centered on both although it looks different. You could measure the caster on the 9 inch before pulling them and then the 10 inch after installed and it will be the same. The only way they would be different if if your SAI is off because of a bent spindle.

-
Back