SRT/4 motor in my '65 Valiant?

-

Shishaldin

Reaction score
Hey All-

I'd been thinking about interesting engine swaps for my '65 Valiant (one being a pumped up Hyper Pak'ed /6), and then I came across the SRT/4 turbo motor. It's kinda making me rethink

Guys are pumping up the output of these little 4 bangers with aftermarket turbos/intercoolers to 400, 500, and even 600+ horses, all from 2.4 liters! They're able to get 400 horses on 93 octane pump gas! DAMN. The motor must weigh a buck-o-nothin', too, with a cast iron block and aluminum head and half the amount of cylinders that we're used to.

Oh yeah, and you can still get MPG in the mid to high 20's, even with the modded motors (just gotta keep your foot out of it :grin:).

The tricky thing is that these are front driver motors, and adapting them to RWD could mean a few trips to the fabricator's. Found this thread that details a few options, one of them being a Toyota R154 5 speed transmission mated to a 03-04 Jeep Liberty/TJ bellhousing. The ratios from the R154 are really close to the SRT/4's FWD transaxle, too.

Food for thought, eh? What do you guys think?

I think that would be one of the coolest and most unique swaps ever. It's work like that that'll land you in magazines...

That sounds like a great project. Talk about a sleeper! Does that make it a ValiaSRT?

I will some day do a 3.5 V6 swap in my wifes Scamp. You can get them in RWD form and they are about 260hp net with high 20's for mpg. I had one in a Concorde and it was impressive for a V6. It would out pull my '72 Duster 318 and gets twice the mileage.

Chuck

Wow - what a great idea. I have a bone stock SRT-4 and I think it would be super with RWD. Keep us posted... hopefully with pictures!

Kory

My buddy that has a 11.90 sec SRT4 keep having the conversation. He is thinking an old Colt or Arrow. He said someone is making an automatic to go behind it, so doing a rear wheel drive should be possible.

Oh, he still gets over 30 mpg with AC on

I heard about the adapter plate for the 2.4 to 904 but not sure if anyone is going to build one or not. I know the turbododge guys are trying to get a someone to make it....

there was a 50s car booting around a few years ago in my area
not sure what it was exactly,wanna say mid 50s GM
he was running a 2.8L V6 out of a cavalier
it was FWD,he just used the K member and all the fwd stuff
it was neat,different
cant say it would be real quick,but it would get the job done

Sounds like a lot of work. Theres another guy on the forum thinking of that route as well. Im not sure its worth all the trouble , but no doubt sounds cool. Im no expert, but I doubt the mpg will be all that great. The valiant weighs more than a neon, and the more power output means more fuel. Also, the motors put out high hp #s but the revs are high and I dont believe the torque to be very high. Not to knock you, just thought id share. I would still like to see it.

A lot of guys build those motors for mighty max and d50 trucks. Its all the same family of engines since mitsu and mopar were in bed together for a while. If u get a tranny from a 2.0 mitsu/d50 truck it will be a bolt on rwd 5 spd trans. However this is the weak link and u will be destroying trannies.

Check out projectzerog.com its a website dedicated to the 4g63t engine and what people are swapping it into.

Check out projectzerog.com its a website dedicated to the 4g63t engine and what people are swapping it into.
http://www.projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1394

Not mine.
Boost target is 30+ lbs, shooting for 600-700 HP according to his post on www.theturboforums.com

DSC00199.JPG

IMG_0264.jpg

The Caliber SRT4 motor has variable valve timing which gives it torque at low rpm. Stage II will get you to 400 HP. I don't know what transmission would bolt up to it for rear wheel drive though. The stock Getrag six speed is available in an all wheel drive version. That would be a whole lot of time and work compared to a standard small block that could make the same HP.

Found couple sources saying SRT4 neons weigh in it at 2870-2900, looks like the srt4 got a little porky.... older neons were not that heavy.

You might look at a Dakota bell housing that was used on the 2.5 4 banger with the 5-speed. Might be the same as the 2.4

That would be a great ride!

You might look at a Dakota bell housing that was used on the 2.5 4 banger with the 5-speed. Might be the same as the 2.4

That would be a great ride!

They are real close, and few people have made them work with slight modification to the starter and drilling a bolt whole in the bell housing to match the 2.4.

I have a 2005 SRT 4 She moves pretty good my best so far is 12.9 with light mods exhaust boost controler etc. all bolt ons. there is a site that all they do is SRTs its Darrell cox racing these things are monsters they have a 2.6L stroker you name they make it auto tranny and everything they have a front wheel drive race car with the 2.6 in it is runs 7s and they have a street legal car called the red sled runs 9s. i was gonna send mine to them and it was gonna be making 550 at the wheels on pump gas no spray. you can build a wicked B/A Neon or in this case Valiant. the only down fall is you do pay for what you get it isnt cheap.

I have a 2005 SRT 4 She moves pretty good my best so far is 12.9 with light mods exhaust boost controler etc. all bolt ons. there is a site that all they do is SRTs its Darrell cox racing these things are monsters they have a 2.6L stroker you name they make it auto tranny and everything they have a front wheel drive race car with the 2.6 in it is runs 7s and they have a street legal car called the red sled runs 9s. i was gonna send mine to them and it was gonna be making 550 at the wheels on pump gas no spray. you can build a wicked B/A Neon or in this case Valiant. the only down fall is you do pay for what you get it isnt cheap.

Add RWD and this will be a nasty combination. I hope somebody can pull this off, it would be a sweet ride and economical to drive depending on how modified the motor is.
THis thread has me looking at my '73 dart and my '86 Daytona funny haha. Magnum 318 in the daytona and 2.2 turbo in the Dart? 8)

I had thought about something like this in a '61 Lancer. in a later Dart I would think it might look like a chicken McNugget in a Big Mac box under the hood.

probably 2500-2800
Nope, closer to 3000. Get a Lancer, those are 2600-2800. Check out the "3.0 in an A" thread, the guy is getting holy hell for even considering it and this thread is getting thumbs up? I think that 2.4 on the blowdrier is cool, keep us updated. Look at the room in that A!

P.S> those 500HP neon motors, what is the shelf life on those? I read the 800 HP turbo Honda motors are good for 5-10 trips down the 1320 then its rebuild time...Maybe American metal is tougher?

-
Back