SS Spring Rear Shock Combo, What to use???

-

Dustedu2

Reaction score
I have had SS Springs and Air Shocks but want to get rid of the air shocks. I need a taller shock for the springs. Whats working for you guys?
Street/ Strip use. I want some nice launch, not so concerned with ride comfort. :read2:

Mopar Performance makes shocks specifically designed for use with the SS springs. I've used them in the past and they work well. that's what I'm gonna set my current car up with. You'll hear all kinda opinions, but the way the Mopar leaf spring system is designed is the springs do all the work. If you put a shock with anymore resistance than what's designed into the MP shocks, the rear suspension doesn't operate as designed by Mopar.

I have a Q on the ss springs,there is talk that using the 02 03 springs that one side sits lower than the outer.What would happen if I got 02 02 springs would that booth sides sit level not only interested in ride height not race only? PS sorry to hi jack.

Your car will not launch straight and pull to one side. Badly when you hit the hammer good.

Found the mopar performance shock #P4529514 ... For the price I will try them out. Thanks.

ive got 02/03 springs on my duster and mp long drag shocks they work ok for what they are, but i think you can but a cheap old truck shock and work just as good...my car would 60' in the 1.67/70 range the best i could get out of it,but i think i needed better frontend travel and shocks aswell..but they did work...also your gonna need to check your pinion angle when you install the springs in order to get the best traction...i had 6deg. nose down with mine as well and saw a diff. from when it was off..my car would just clear the front tires and the track set up this way..mike

I have a Q on the ss springs,there is talk that using the 02 03 springs that one side sits lower than the outer.What would happen if I got 02 02 springs would that booth sides sit level not only interested in ride height not race only? PS sorry to hi jack.

Rumblefish speaks with fork-ed tongue not. The SS springs are biased in such a way as to let the car level itself out as it launches. With the car level at launch, instead of twisted up to one side, the right rear tire is planted, instead of lifted. This is the reason cars with open carrier axles will spin the right rear. It is the twisting motion that the drivetrain influences the car with. While the body and frame are being twisted from left to right, the rear axle is being lifted off the ground by those same forces, only exerted in the opposite direction. The addition of SS springs, a pinion snubber, the correct shocks and a sure grip carrier will completely eliminate this PLUS make it work in an opposite way. Rather than lifting the axle off the ground, the shorter front spring segment of the SS springs doubles as a traction bar. This effect is present even without a pinion snubber using the SS springs. The addition of the snubber simply makes it much more effective, because it uses the axle housing's rotational forces to drive the pinion snubber into the snupper pad in the floor pan and causes the rear suspension to plant the rear tires even harder than the SS springs alone. This is why when a Mopar is set up correctly, it will raise up at all four corners, and not squat in the rear while lifting the front. This way, not only does the rear suspension take advantage of the car's weight in the rear, but because of the design of the Mopar Performance rear suspension, it also uses the car's own power to plant the rear tires. So, the more power and torque the car makes, the harder the tires are planted. Adding any sort of shock with a different amount of resistance than what is designed actually can take away from what that rear suspension can do. You see people adding fancy gas shocks and coil overs and what not when what they needed was simply the 2" longer than stock Mopar hydraulic shocks. A lot of people use the "it's 40 plus year old techonology" thing and in reality, that's true. But some of the fastest Super Stock cars of the day used that exact same suspension and with far inferior tires than what we have available today. It's a tried and true design that was engineered by Chrysler suspension gurus to make these cars go fast while keeping cost down and it just flat out works.....

The Mopar Performance Suspenion Manual also has good tips about setting up the total alignment and suspension on the car both front and rear. While it sounds somewhat archaic, the manual even recommends drilling holes in some old hydraulic front shocks and draining the fluid. This completely removes and dampening effect the shock has and turns it into nothing more than a suspension limiting device. What it also does is allow the front of the car to rise as quickly as possible and transfer weight to the rear tires ASAP.

It's a tried and true design that was engineered by Chrysler suspension gurus to make these cars go fast while keeping cost down and it just flat out works.....

How very true.

I have a cheap 3way drag shock which I am sure is the same as the CompetitionEngineering shocks that Summit sells.
They are set at medium on the right rear and soft on the other 3 corners.
The only other aid I have with the SS springs is an adjustable pinion snubber.

I regularly 60ft in the 1.65-1.69 range and have been as low as 1.62 which is awesome for a 12.0-12.1 car.

My 2 cents.

Buy a better shock than the cheap ones. If you change the leaf system later, like cal tracks, you already have a shock suitable for that use. At a minimum I'd get a rancho 9 way. A better shock will make a difference in how the car leaves, especially if it's got more adjustment than 3 clicks.

Ranch shocks are used buy quit a few drag racers or if you got the money Strange double ajustable drag shocks. They would be more for a drag car than street though.

I have had SS Springs and Air Shocks but want to get rid of the air shocks. I need a taller shock for the springs. Whats working for you guys?
Street/ Strip use. I want some nice launch, not so concerned with ride comfort. :read2:

I realize Dusted's needs were more for launch than ride quality, but for us that want SS Springs that will see A LOT more street use guy's have suggested using C-Body Rear Shocks.

Can anyone back this up? Seems like a great option.

Would this C-Body shock be the way to go for SS Springs on the Street?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MON-58577ST/

(haha the application says 'for towing and hauling' :-D)

I would go with the XHD springs on a street car. The SS springs will be kinda rough everyday.

Ranch shocks are used buy quit a few drag racers or if you got the money Strange double ajustable drag shocks. They would be more for a drag car than street though.

This is on Calverts web site. Maybe I'll just get their's, They are a buck each but should be decent.

products-rancho1.jpg
The Calvert Racing 9 way adjustable CR series rear shocks, Formally known as Rancho, is now officially a Calvert Brand

I realize Dusted's needs were more for launch than ride quality, but for us that want SS Springs that will see A LOT more street use guy's have suggested using C-Body Rear Shocks.

Can anyone back this up? Seems like a great option.

Would this C-Body shock be the way to go for SS Springs on the Street?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MON-58577ST/

(haha the application says 'for towing and hauling' :-D)

Might need to put the springs on 1st and measure the distance between the mounts to make sure they fit ok. ????? max and min travel?????
I don't see any measurements on these.

I would go with the XHD springs on a street car. The SS springs will be kinda rough everyday.

Definitely have weighed the XHD vs. SS spring idea for a while.

My concern is running a 28" tall tire with XHD's. I get mixed views on whether that is a good idea, but I'm a risk taker too.

It is my understanding that 2800lb SS springs aren't all that objectionable on the street.

Sorry about the thread 'jack.

Might need to put the springs on 1st and measure the distance between the mounts to make sure they fit ok. ????? max and min travel?????
I don't see any measurements on these.

It's been done. I read on BBD it was popular for street race applications in the70's and 80's to grab a pair of stock C-Body shocks from the junkyard for $5/pair to go with your SS springs...

Whether it was all that effective or necessarily a good option wasn't mentioned though.

I got the 002/003 springs on my car. Don't think it rides ruff at all. I have just been running stock type shocks but just got a set of gas shocks I need to put on it.

I have the Mopar rear shocks with the 002,003 SS Springs. They are long enough, but they are a gas shock. I would rather have just a plain shock.
I haven't been to the track to test them out, but I've been told that they will bounce, and best to pitch them. He also highly suggests, that I switch to Calvert's caltrac rear 9way adj, shocks, just make sure they are long enough. He's experienced and a successful racer, so I'm going to give them a try.
Steve, I appreciate the help.
:toothy7:

-
Back