SS Springs on 75 Duster

-
Good news ...bad news......Got intake manifold off....cam and lifter look just fine.....took rockers and pushrods off....removed each lifter from their bore and they all look good....

Bad news.....I dont know what is wrong now...lol

Going to change out distributor and look at the fuel pump...

Yesterday went I drove it into the garage it was still making a clicking noise in the valve train....even removed the driver side header looking for a bad gasket but it looks new.

Interesting I was looking at the bottom of the rockers.....and noticed that the ball on the adjusters were different sizes....these Crane are made up of partial sets that I had purchased through the years ....never thought to look at the adjusters..
The pushrods are Smith Bros with 5/16 cups....

I picture you can see the top one is larger...and does not fit the cup perfectly....Think I found my noisy rocker arms...but that still did not slow the car down 6 tenths...lol....got a new set of adjusters coming Thursday
Beginning to wonder if I had some bad E85.......or got water in it while I was washing the car....especially the trunk area....

20201005_162334_resized.jpg

New adjuster came in on Friday or Thursday dont remember....will start putting it back together this week....do a compression test again and see if everything is good....

Good thing I see a couple of races now on the schedule the 1st weekend of Dec at lvms...I thought i would have to wait until late January to get to run it again...

Got the new adjusters installed and valves adjusted.....moving on.....intake goes tomorrow...and compression test....

got it back together and started it....and it makes the same noise...LOL...

going to climb under it and check converter bolts....

might be installing that spare 360 i got and tear this one apart...

It aint the converter bolts....

Going to park it outside for awhile....gotta couple of other things to do before I get back to this car...

Gotta couple of family vehicles that need maintenance then....71 Dart gets 408.....

Only working half a day starting monday.......

Now not working at all ...so i got plenty of time to screw with this PIA....LOL

Took timing chain cover off....dont see anything out of order.....still have noise.......going to look at valve train again...otherwise it is engine swap time...

Checked the valves...nothing wrong there....Well...looks like the Cherry Picker is getting warmed up....

Already picked out its replacement.....lol.....Spare Engines Thread....lol

If only my Howards cam for my stroked 318 would show up....lol

1 wife and 1 old mopar currently. Each one comes with enough problems and headaches . dk how Tony handles multiple of each lol.... he is an experienced juggler :)

Right now I am not working...but I went I am...i have an easy job.....

Worked on getting spare engine ready to go into car.....old one is still in there...

Since I had stripped the old one down trying to find the noise...I was able to put the alternator...small crank pulley and electric water pump on new engine....
Then I realized i had not primed the oil pump and proceeded to put oil on the floor since I forgot the the filter....not the 1st time...
Got the engine primed and ready to go......checked the molly lube on the camshaft before putting the intake on.....turned engine over TDC...and put in intermediate shaft
Also tighten up the rocker shafts as they were hanging loose....
and finally got the Holley SD intake on ......

Tomorrow morning I will get the old one pulled out and see how far I get putting this one back in.....I got a good two weeks until we have a race...

These engine are very much a like....but the new one has some advantages to it...

pistons kb741 about 35 grams lighter with 1/16 rings vs SP 116hcp with 5/64 rings..ll
Compression ratio on new is probably 1 full point higher due to taller CH and block being decked for zero deck height.
Rods are about 65 grams lighter.......the pins are probably a few grams lighter too...
New engine is internally balanced stock 3.58 crank....vs externally stock crank...

Both engine have the same camshaft...old MP .571 oval cam....new engine is installed at 102 degrees vs 104 degrees...
rockers are Crane....new has all 1.5 ratio...old have 1.6/1.5 combo....
Both have Speedmaster CNC heads with PAC 1903 springs....
New engine heads are Out of the Box.....old engine has competition valve job done by local machine shop....

Got a hair brain idea....LOL....going to pull heads off engine in Duster....transfer them to that stroked 318.....and if I can not see anything wrong with Cam...it is going too....and hope to put this stroked 318 in the 75 Duster....
Dont want to transfer clacking noise from one engine to another...lol

Give me a hour or two in the morning.....will see what i come up with....

I love not having to go to work...lol

well..that idea is not going to work If i am going to race this thing in 2 weeks...

-
Back