Stage

-

68 barracuda 68

Reaction score
Hello
Been reading about stagein and deepstage, do i understand it right in a headsup class you will get faster ET when the two light are just on and higher reaction time. Deepstage get lower reaction time and faster to finish line? the question is what is best to do? ET index is 7,00 1/8 and deepstage is allowed, classification on reaction time

Last edited:
Shallow staging gives you a slower reaction time (you could write a book on what reaction time really is) but a quicker ET.

Deep staging will give you a quicker reaction time, but a slower ET.

I have never done class racing.
I'm a bracket racer, and i want to just barely break the full stage beam.

Do you run a 4 tenths or 5 tenths tree( all the amber come one at once or they count down)

Shallow staging gives you a slower reaction time (you could write a book on what reaction time really is) but a quicker ET.

so when deepstage is allowed in heads up class the best thing will be deepstage?

so when deepstage is allowed in heads up class the best thing will be deepstage?
Deep staging will only help you if you can't react fast enough to the tree to get a good light.

I used to race a 7.00 index class that used a 0.500 pro tree (flashes all 3 ambers at once then green). Since I foot break, I had to bump into the beams pretty deep to get a good light....however, they would not honor deep staging, so it was up to the racer to get the car in deep quickly if you wanted to do it, but the race official would not wait for you. If I got it in fully deep staged (when the prestage bulbs turn off) I would cut really good lights most of the time...then I just drove the stripe to take the win. Had a lot of success with it.

My friend that ran the same class with a T-brake didn't want to be in deep or he would read light...so it really depends on your setup.

Don't you have to have a car and go to the track to stage whether it be deep or shallow..?
Also, are you saying because the last beam at the start doesn't get a running start it's slower between beams?
Hello
Been reading about stagein and deepstage, do i understand it right in a headsup class you will get faster ET when the two light are just on and higher reaction time. Deepstage get lower reaction time and faster to finish line? the question is what is best to do? ET index is 7,00 1/8 and deepstage is allowed, classification on reaction time
What's been your experience so far?

Last edited:
Focus on RT. first (i.e.: shallow, bump or deep, tire height, air pressure.) whatever will give you the most consistent "good" lights. You have more options to vary your ET (i.e.: brakes, weight, shift points, etc.) Records (faster ETs) are usually set more easily by shallow staging because you have more rollout (running start before the ET timer starts when you leave the second beam.) RT are not important in this case.

you will go slower deep stage.... maybe 1 thousands slower... LOL ? If you just trip the 2nd stage light, they call it a "rolling start"... LOL. Your car gets about a 2" rolling start before your time starts.... :D

• Most people that chose to stage deep do it because of reaction time.
  • more to be gained in reaction time vs worrying about the "rolling start"

Don't you have to have a car and go to the track to stage whether it be deep or shallow..?
Also, are you saying because the last beam at the start doesn't get a running start it's slower between beams?

What's been your experience so far?

Right. Shallow staging gives you a run at the beam that actually triggers the timer.

Sadly, I'm old enough to have seen flag starts, and also the first timers at PIR. Somewhere my parents have pictures of that timing system with me and a friend in them.

Hard to believe I've seen all that in just 43 years.

I also forgot to mention tire diameter as that's a big factor in RT. A taller tire staged shallow will give a greater change in RT and ET than a shorter one.

A short tire and a deep stage will reduce RT and ET more than a taller tire will.

RT is driver RT plus vehicle RT added together. Very few people can quicken their RT with a phony little box thingy. You'll most likely find the best RT reductions working with the chassis. You may improve a bit with a RT box, but mostly it's in the chassis.

If you are old enough, you'll remember Scott Geffrion proving this point very clearly to a bunch of doubting idiots.

I also forgot to mention tire diameter as that's a big factor in RT. A taller tire staged shallow will give a greater change in RT and ET than a shorter one.

A short tire and a deep stage will reduce RT and ET more than a taller tire will.

RT is driver RT plus vehicle RT added together. Very few people can quicken their RT with a phony little box thingy. You'll most likely find the best RT reductions working with the chassis. You may improve a bit with a RT box, but mostly it's in the chassis.

If you are old enough, you'll remember Scott Geffrion proving this point very clearly to a bunch of doubting idiots.
electronics/cross talk competition/classes at our track needs .002 light to be competitive.

LOL. That's a whole other discussion right there. There'd be far fewer guys at the tracks if they eliminated that crap right there.
they have footbrake/no box classes as well. the guys are good there too, need consistent .015's to have a shot

Actually, shallow staging to deep staging will make am obvious difference in RT and ET. (I forgot the "rough" numbers, but even that will vary between vehicles, suspension set-up, converter, gear, bias-vs-radial slick, front tire size, etc.) A car can roll quite a bit and still keep both prestaged and staged light on.

Remember that the beams are a certain amount ABOVE the track. So tire diameter affects it as well as air pressure. Less air "flattens" the front tire and brings a wider portion of the tire down into the beams.

Here is some information that can hopefully help one understand more of the basics and variables.

The Staging Light -- Drag Racing

I always like to refer to delay boxes as "electronic driving aids". But there is a skill there also that's needed within the delay box classes.

I always like to refer to delay boxes as "electronic driving aids". But there is a skill there also that's needed within the delay box classes.
well, the cars have to run consistent as well. For sure there is skill, but I like a footbrake/eyeball car

LOL. That's a whole other discussion right there. There'd be far fewer guys at the tracks if they eliminated that crap right there.

If they eliminated that crap and 1/8 mile racing, I might get more interested in it again!

-
Back