starter relay?

-

65Vart

Reaction score
I just bought a new starter for my 65 dart and I was thinking about changing the positive battery cable assy as well. I was always puzzled that the car has no proper starter solenoid/relay, is this proper for a 65 dart or has this been cobbled?

Attachments

• relay.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 156
I'm not very familiar with the physical aspects of the early cars, but ALL these cars had a starter relay. You do know what they look like? Is this a stick or auto? Does the neutral safety work? Are there any suspect looking, aftermarket relays that have been installed?

The part on the left is what your relay should look like. Located right near the bulkhead. What you have pictured looks to me more like a power distribution stud that was added at some point in its life. The '65 should be identical to my '66 pictured here. There HAS to be a relay somewhere.

Actually that circuit didn't change for a very, very long time. Over 30 years, maybe

I'm not very familiar with the physical aspects of the early cars, but ALL these cars had a starter relay. You do know what they look like? Is this a stick or auto? Does the neutral safety work? Are there any suspect looking, aftermarket relays that have been installed?
Was auto on the column , converted to a 4spd , no neutral safety switch.

Well if there's no original or added relay, follow the wire coming from the small starter terminal and see where it goes. If it comes up and goes into the bulkhead connector, then someone has eliminated the relay.

I would certainly put one in if there is none. Unlike GM, the Mopar ignition switches were probably not designed to handle the relatively large current of the starter solenoid.

It might just be that where that junction stud is now, is where it belongs. The normal relay stud is in fact a junction point.

Well if there's no original or added relay, follow the wire coming from the small starter terminal and see where it goes. If it comes up and goes into the bulkhead connector, then someone has eliminated the relay.

I would certainly put one in if there is none. Unlike GM, the Mopar ignition switches were probably not designed to handle the relatively large current of the starter solenoid.

It might just be that where that junction stud is now, is where it belongs. The normal relay stud is in fact a junction point.
Thanks , Ill double check tomorrow but I think your right. my buddy and I noticed this when we went to bump it over to adjust the valves . He looked for the relay and said WTF. Car turns over fine so I just forgot about it.

-
Back