Starting a BB Duster project

-
I found a pair of Duster seats on Craigslist and had them recovered. This should be one of the final touches.
DSC_4069 (Large).JPG

So are u cutting holes in them for the 5 point harnesses? Kim

Nope, I have a race seat in the car for the driver and the passenger will get a factory bucket. The original driver side bucket just goes into storage.

I did get the car out for a short drive today. I think it will be a fun car to drive once I get some miles on it.
DSC_4077 (Large).JPG

I installed a g-meter today so now I can see how hard the car pulls down the track as well as around corners. Kind of cool technology that you can buy from Holley. It just plugs right into the EFI system and you can see the g forces on a dash readout.

Holley EFI 554-162 Holley EFI 2 Axis G-Meter

I also hooked up the driveshaft speed sensor and took the car for a drive. Kind of cool watching both driveshaft speed and engine speed on the dash. I programmed the dash so I had both RPM gauges next to each other so it was easy to watch them. In high gear cruising down the road there is about 3% slip. I'l have to data log it so I can watch it in different gears and different throttle positions but for now I just watched it on the dash.
DSC_2251 (Large).JPG

I also hooked up the driveshaft speed sensor and took the car for a drive. Kind of cool watching both driveshaft speed and engine speed on the dash. I programmed the dash so I had both RPM gauges next to each other so it was easy to watch them. In high gear cruising down the road there is about 3% slip. I'l have to data log it so I can watch it in different gears and different throttle positions but for now I just watched it on the dash.
View attachment 1715476618
are you running a seperate gauge for all that or is that all on one screen?

Had a custom bracket made to mount the G Meter sensor to the roll bar. It came out nice.
DSC_4116 (Large).JPG

I weighed the Duster today after taking it out for a drive. 3150 lbs ready to go. I'm around 200 lbs so 3350 with me in it. Car is 52% front and 48% rear weight so not too bad. Be nice to get it closer to 50/50 but I'd have to take some more weight off the front to get there. I suppose a glass front bumper would help but I drive the car on the street so I probably won't do that. The engine is already pretty light with lots of aluminum parts.

I haven't taken it to the track yet but I've rolled into the throttle a few times on open roads and it sits up and goes. The Moroso slide rule says it will run low 10's at 130 mph at the track but I don't know if it will hook up well enough to do that. I'll find out later on this year when it gets a bit warmer.

I haven't taken it to the track yet but I've rolled into the throttle a few times on open roads and it sits up and goes. The Moroso slide rule says it will run low 10's at 130 mph at the track but I don't know if it will hook up well enough to do that. I'll find out later on this year when it gets a bit warmer.

Following .
I havent been able to hook mine up , needs tubbed bad . Low tens are just a dream for me !

Following .
I haven't been able to hook mine up , needs tubbed bad . Low tens are just a dream for me !

325s fit with ease... A few pictures of the process and an old picture with a 325/50-15 before clean up and paint. The launch was butal and the 1-2 shift put the keys and the key cylinder in the back seat on my first test drive with 325 drag radials. With the 295s I'm using now to roll the car around the garage I have about 2-1/2" clearance on the inside and 1" on the outside. I am thinking I will run 325/30-19s when I am done with plenty of room.

p82a0286.jpg
DSC03439.JPG

P82A04671.jpg

DSC03710.jpg

IMG_4330.jpg

Following .
I havent been able to hook mine up , needs tubbed bad . Low tens are just a dream for me !

The FAST guys run 10's on street tires so there are some tricks to play. I don't know any of their tricks, just saying they've figured it out. I do have one trick which I can play. My EFI system has an optional traction control module. I haven't hooked it up yet but I probably will. Seems like something that would be cool to play with at the track.

The FAST guys run 10's on street tires so there are some tricks to play. I don't know any of their tricks, just saying they've figured it out. I do have one trick which I can play. My EFI system has an optional traction control module. I haven't hooked it up yet but I probably will. Seems like something that would be cool to play with at the track.

Cool, keep us posted .

325s fit with ease... A few pictures of the process and an old picture with a 325/50-15 before clean up and paint. The launch was butal and the 1-2 shift put the keys and the key cylinder in the back seat on my first test drive with 325 drag radials. With the 295s I'm using now to roll the car around the garage I have about 2-1/2" clearance on the inside and 1" on the outside. I am thinking I will run 325/30-19s when I am done with plenty of room.

View attachment 1715488359 View attachment 1715488361
View attachment 1715488362
View attachment 1715488363
View attachment 1715488364

I Hit the like button.
I`d mini tub mine but too old and broke up to crawl up in the back, between the rear downstruts to weld it back together.
Have even thot about paying someone to help me , but dont know anyone that I`d trust that has the time ----------

-
Back