Starting another EFI installation on my ‘71 Duster 340 4-speed

-

67fish383S

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Link to a short video describing the project: Public Facebook (UGH) video

I had great success installing a first generation Sniper/Hyperspark system on a ‘72 Duster 360/904 and I’m geeked about what it will do for this car.

Not really interested in hearing about how much you hate EFI, Sniper, or abandoning carburetion. Opinions and discussion are fine, but keep the assaults in check please. The car looks mostly original, but has many, many mostly transparent upgrades.

I will do my best to keep this thread updated with pics and info as I work through it, and may even post another award-winning ;) tutorial at the end of the project.

Have a great weekend everyone. Drive ‘em if you can and/or wrench on 'em like a boss.

Peace

TFXW4510.jpeg

IMG_1157.jpeg

IMG_9207.jpeg

image.jpg

IMG_1855.jpeg

Last edited:
curious to see how the sniper 2 works out.. they supposedly addressed a bunch of the originals issues..

been tossing around the idea of going sniper.. i even have the tanks inc fuel tank and pump. not doing anything right now though. have to recoupe from the work i just did to the car. i have a friend that has installed quite a few sniper kits... most have worked out perfect for him and i start thinking ,yea i'm gonna start gather the kit.. then he has issues with one and i think, you know that carb is so easy to work on and i can get holley stuff anywhere..lol...

curious to see how the sniper 2 works out.. they supposedly addressed a bunch of the origiunals issues..

been tossing around the idea of going sniper.. i even have the tanks inc fuel tank and pump. not doing anything right now though. have to recoupe from the work i just did to the car. i have a friend that has installed quite a few sniper kits... most have worked out perfect for him and i start thinking ,yea i'm gonna start gather the kit.. then he has issues with one and i think, you know that carb is so easy to work on and i can get holley stuff anywhere..lol...
Hey Joe. Honestly it sounds like I am talking to myself, lol. I too am burned out on wrenching because I have been feverishly rehabbing a pair of twin Kia Sportages for my daughters over the past month or so (don't even get me started on that story, lol).

I was very happy with the end result with the first gen Sniper install, and I took what I read in the sales pitch about the EMI mitigation of Sniper 2 with a grain of salt. But I powered through the first install without throwing it in the trash can (it didn't hurt that I am an EMC engineer, lol). Overall I think the system offers a lot, especially with user-friendly self-learning and programming options, and now with Bluetooth - goodbye silly wired, hand-held interface. I'm looking forward to the improvements to easy starting, better and smoother running, and even a bit of an HP boost. I was pleasantly surprised that the first one really gave that 360 a kick in the pants!

Enjoy your break and I will start posting updates when I get going for real.

-Dennis

Last edited:
I'll be keeping an eye on this, as I'll be adding hyperspark and sniper 1 to my big block, hopefully sooner than later as the boxes are here.

Interested in seeing the results and process, even though it's a different engine etc... I'm all for easier starts and smoother running as well.

@67fish383S , I will be following as I have been occasionally shopping the Sniper 2 EFI since it came out. I was looking through Summit mostly but there wasn't the ability to customize your order. Recently I saw Holley's website has a 3 or 4 step ordering process. I figure when the timing is right I'll just go through them.

It seems one could save money getting a Tanks Inc tank and pump IF you could get the Sniper kit w/o pump and regulator. -OR- If you got the Sniper kit w/ pump and regulator AND got the Tanks Inc set-up you could just save the extra pump for a spare. Are the two pumps compatible? Holley's kit pump looks different than Tanks Inc. The Holley tank and pump is $220 more than Tanks Inc. and they source it from Tanks!

Anyway, I'll be following.

@67fish383S , I will be following as I have been occasionally shopping the Sniper 2 EFI since it came out. I was looking through Summit mostly but there wasn't the ability to customize your order. Recently I saw Holley's website has a 3 or 4 step ordering process. I figure when the timing is right I'll just go through them.

It seems one could save money getting a Tanks Inc tank and pump IF you could get the Sniper kit w/o pump and regulator. -OR- If you got the Sniper kit w/ pump and regulator AND got the Tanks Inc set-up you could just save the extra pump for a spare. Are the two pumps compatible? Holley's kit pump looks different than Tanks Inc. The Holley tank and pump is $220 more than Tanks Inc. and they source it from Tanks!

Anyway, I'll be following.
Seems like you could do any of the above that you want to. Holley’s ordering system definitely is not the best, but you can build the system you want without too much trouble. I did not need a tank, so I went with the in-tank pump and sender assembly that bolts right into the factory tank and then ordered the Sniper 2 without the external pump kit. The pump/sender units were on clearance at the time I ordered, so they may be out by now. The only thing I’ll need to buy yet are the fuel lines and hardware. Didn’t want to spend the extra dough for the “convenience” of getting them from Holley. Good luck with your build in whatever config you ultimately decide on.

Last edited:
Any consideration given to the Edelbrock pro-flo 4?
It has individual injectors for each cylinder.

Edelbrock 35900 Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFI Systems | Summit Racing
Sounds cool but no, I decided to go with what I know because I learned it all the hard way. You are not the first person to suggest that system though. A guy I know whose opinions I trust has used both and told me they each have their own pluses and minuses depending on what your application is.

Last edited:
Sounds cool but no, I decided to go with what I know because I learned it all the hard way. You are not the first person to suggest that system though. I guy I know whose opinions I trust has used both and told me they each have their own pluses and minuses depending on what your application is.
I like it, especially the hood clearance with the throttle body on my dart..
by big block challenger has a direct on it now, with a proflo waiting to be installed. There is much better fuel delivery with the edelbrock IMHO

Here is the sum total of what I accomplished during the first weekend of the project:
  1. Neatly organized all the parts on the pool table. And I just finally got the damn thing cleared off after being covered in other parts and my wife's pottery (she is a ceramic artist) for over a year, lol. I still need to buy the fuel lines/hardware, but I have everything else I should need.
    • IMG_1844.jpg
  2. Made a REEL.
  3. Took my Barracuda for an epic ride around the local countryside.
    • IMG_1862.jpg
    • IMG_1866.jpg
    • IMG_1883.jpg
    • IMG_1903.jpg
    • IMG_1915.jpg
  4. Got close to finishing the rallye cluster restoration for my buddy Dave in KY.
    • IMG_1969.jpg
    • IMG_1998.jpg
    • IMG_2001.jpg
    • IMG_2002.jpg
(*Note: The MIA left turn indicator is due to a bad ground trace to that socket on the new PBC. I am awaiting contact from the MFG to see if they want to send me a new one, or if I will have to mitigate it on my own.)

That's my list of first weekend accomplishments LOL. In my defense, I am a bit burned out on wrenching for a minute because I was put through the ringer over the past fews weeks by a couple of new old Kia Sportages recently acquired for my daughters to drive (twin Black Cherry SUVs).

I hope to get some sort of meaningful way toward the finish line next weekend with maybe a few things getting done in between.

Onward...

Last edited:
My buddy had a shop put a Sniper 2 on his '72 Vette 350. He loves it. He asked if I gonna go fuel injection, umm, not in the plans at this time....when no one is looking I hang out with chevy guys ...

FB_IMG_1719956438377.jpg

PXL_20240627_180049808.jpg

My buddy had a shop put a Sniper 2 on his '72 Vette 350. He loves it. He asked if I gonna go fuel injection, umm, not in the plans at this time....when no one is looking I hang out with chevy guys ...
That is one sweet looking Barracuda. Absolutely love it. I assume it is GG1, which is the color my '67 was born with. I will never forgive the previous owner who covered it with the (amazing at 10') non-Mopar purplish-blue metallic that was apparently applied by a 6 year-old. It is the absolute worst DIY paint job I have ever seen, with tiny air bubbles, runs, and burns all over it. No amount of cutting and buffing can save it. No worries though, everyone seems to love the look (white stripes are also a PO addition) and I plan to do a nut-and-bolt on her when I retire and either take it back to GG1 or perhaps go with one of the more unique Mope colors like seafoam turquoise or turbine bronze.

Btw, I am sure we are all adults here and can forgive your bow-tie transgressions...
:rofl:

-
Back