steering box issue???

-

gilberttitan08

Mexican Hillbilly!!!
Reaction score
Hey guys, my 68 barracuda steering has a lot of play, I can turn the wheels with my hand, and when I do turn the steering wheel, the wheel has a lot of play and it knocks when I turn it a certain direction, also the driver wheel sometimes doesn't complete the turn, so I have to turn it by hand, steering box issue???

Hey guys, my 68 barracuda steering has a lot of play, I can turn the wheels with my hand, and when I do turn the steering wheel, the wheel has a lot of play and it knocks when I turn it a certain direction, also the driver wheel sometimes doesn't complete the turn, so I have to turn it by hand, steering box issue???

How are the tie rod ends, pitman arm and the idler arm?

lol ok , are you saying you get out and turn the wheel by hand to complete the turn? are you driving it like this? sounds like a tie rod is about to come apart. get it up in the air and make sure all your tie rods and idler arm and centerlink arent binding up on something. rule everything else out before blaming the steering box.

If the left and right front wheels don't swing together, that isn't a steering gear issue. It is something in the tie rods, ball joints (severe), or centerlink. Most likely, a tie rod thread is stripped and sliding back and forth in the adjuster.

-
Back