Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
The first thing that you need to add to a 318 is dual exhaust, whether you run stock exhaust manifolds or headers... Your choice... You can use either 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" diameter pipes...

2 1/2" will give better flow, but be harder to fit... 2 1/4" is good for a mild 318 and will be fine, and will also be good with some mods...

Then I recommend going with a 4 bbl and dual plane intake... Get the Holley or Edelbrock 600 CFM square bore carb and go with a dual plane intake like an LD340, Wiand Stealth, or Edelbrock Performer RPM (not the plain Performer - those are junk)... The Wiand Stealth dual plane intake is a nice one also and still available brand new...

The stock 2 bbl carbs tend to wear out the accelerator pump too fast and I get sick of replacing them... 4 bbl is much more reliable....

The 4 bbl will maximize the benefit with the dual exhaust and the electric choke is very reliable on a daily driver even in dead cold winter... Hook it up to a proper 12 volt source and adjust it properly... Go out on a cold winter morning in 20° pump the gas twice and crank it over... When the engine starts and gets to full oil pressure, put it in gear and drive away... It won't bog or hesitate even cold when the electric choke is set up properly....

The third thing to change on a 318 2 bbl is the timing chain... Throw that junk nylon tooth single row timing chain out and replace it with a good double roller timing chain... You will gain up to 2 MPG if the old chain was worn enough and also when the nylon chipped off the timing gear, they were more prone to jump a tooth...

While your'e in there changing the timing chain, you may as well throw in a better camshaft... Something mild, like a stock 340 cam or slightly bigger, but not too radical...

Then you will have a nice running daily driving dependable 318 that can scoot when you want to and still get some reasonable MPG....
Cam choices. Ouch, let's not go there. :poke::poke::lol:

So I am still hen packing at this beaker because I have only been able to work on it in very small increments of time. Last week I got like one hour of cumulative time for the week on it.

At first I thought, 4 bbl, headers, and dual exhaust.

But then I thought, if i go headers..... then I have to swap it to manual steering.

I don't know, a lot of effort rounding up parts for a car that will probably never go that fast.

Then I was looking at YouTube videos and finally made up my mind.

2 bbl, stock 318 manifold with dual exhaust. Just like

Get with KeganB. His scamp has a nice, strong 318 in it. Running something close to a stock 340 cam and a dual plane. It’s not the fastest sucker but it’s stouter than a stocker

Get with KeganB. His scamp has a nice, strong 318 in it. Running something close to a stock 340 cam and a dual plane. It’s not the fastest sucker but it’s stouter than a stocker
Not to get into it deep but a 340 cam needs some carefull tuning and/or a converter to make it work well.

Upper rad hose had a kink in it. I bet he wedged the socket in there to prevent kink from restructing flow.
Hose got hot and ploop! Into the rad it went.

What cam? I got a low compression 73 318 and I'm not so deep I can't change a cam. I just dont want to end up with a low end dog..
The one Tim put in the ‘66 318 is pretty sweet.

Crane energizer flat tappet cam .454/.454 lift 272/272 duration with a double roller chain.

Mmhhmm
Supper tonight:

Pot roast
Grilled Brocoli and Asparagus
Sweet Corn
Fried Green Tomatoes (only I ate them. No one else likes them which meant more for me :lol: )
Fried Green Beans

It's so weird but a lot of these threads have on the bottom "show ignored content" everywhere I go. I am afraid to click on it

It's so weird but a lot of these threads have on the bottom "show ignored content" everywhere I go. I am afraid to click on it
It’s because you have chosen to ignore people. If you click on it, you will see what the people on your ignored list posted.

It’s because you have chosen to ignore people. If you click on it, you will see what the people on your ignored list posted.
Ohhh

I have been ignoring whole threads more than people but I should check into it.

Oh boy, it got extra steamy here the last hour. 83* with 85% humidity. Dew point is now 75*

Nothing outside dries in this...including me!

Better. My second shower with the shower massage helped. The chiro cracked and popped a few back in. A little sore but about 80%.
I use tried and true Asian massage. Perhaps it is my affinity for the culture, resulting from years of martial study. But I use a small petite older Chinese lady. She can make me beg ( que Karl) But anyway when my back gets wonky she fixes me. I do my best to converse in Mandarin and she tolerates my lame attempts then just smiles and takes my money! She is the best!

I use tried and true Asian massage. Perhaps it is my affinity for the culture, resulting from years of martial study. But I use a small petite older Chinese lady. She can make me beg ( que Karl) But anyway when my back gets wonky she fixes me. I do my best to converse in Mandarin and she tolerates my lame attempts then just smiles and takes my money! She is the best!
Just don't go see Miss sum ting wong for your back

Just don't go see Miss sum ting wong for your back

sum ting wong.jpg

Oh boy, it got extra steamy here the last hour. 83* with 85% humidity. Dew point is now 75*

Nothing outside dries in this...including me!
Looks like everything is about to get really wet outside here

Trying to figure out problem on the wifes 09 Journey. Horn starts blowing intermittently just sitting in the driveway. So the likely suspects...
Horn switch- This is part of the drivers airbag as far as I know. And I am pretty sure was replace on one of the recalls in last couple years.
Clock spring - Would expect it would go off while turning if this was the problem. As far as I know,
has never happened while driving.

TIPM - For some reason unbeknownst to the normal mind. Dodge decided not to include the Horn, Fuel pump, locks and wipers among the REPLACEABLE relays. Instead they are soldered onto a board under the fuse box. :BangHead: This is a known problem. The horn is actually not a common one that goes bad because it is used infrequently. (Fuel pump is most common)
Looking for a good way to troubleshoot cause my pockets aint deep enough to change all these parts...Would be really nice to get this on the first try.​
In the meantime -fuses are out and she has no horn.

Trying to figure out problem on the wifes 09 Journey. Horn starts blowing intermittently just sitting in the driveway. So the likely suspects...
Horn switch- This is part of the drivers airbag as far as I know. And I am pretty sure was replace on one of the recalls in last couple years.
Clock spring - Would expect it would go off while turning if this was the problem. As far as I know,

TIPM - For some reason unbeknownst to the normal mind. Dodge decided not to include the Horn, Fuel pump, locks and wipers among the REPLACEABLE relays. Instead they are soldered onto a board under the fuse box. :BangHead: This is a known problem. The horn is actually not a common one that goes bad because it is used infrequently. (Fuel pump is most common)
Looking for a good way to troubleshoot cause my pockets aint deep enough to change all these parts...Would be really nice to get this on the first try.
In the meantime -:steering:fuses are out and she has no horn.
You just reminded me why i drive old simple cars that I can and surely have fixed on the side of the road. If i can fix a car on the side of the eustis then anyone, because I am the last person on the planet who should be fixin a car on the side road

Looking for a good way to troubleshoot cause my pockets aint deep enough to change all these parts...Would be really nice to get this on the first try.
In the meantime -fuses are out and she has no horn.
Both my Wife’s Durango and my Jeep do this occasionally. Check your ground on the battery and again on the Engine and PCM grounds. Then if all those are good, check and make sure your tin heat shield near the starter hasn’t been hit by debris and knocked against the starter relay studs. My Jeep is bad about that happening with the thru the forest and over the hills off roading I do

You just reminded me why i drive old simple cars that I can and surely have fixed on the side of the road. If i can fix a car on the side of the eustis then anyone, because I am the last person on the planet who should be fixin a car on the side road
You should have seen me yesterday, I was changing a tire with a 20 lb maul.

Both my Wife’s Durango and my Jeep do this occasionally. Check your ground on the battery and again on the Engine and PCM grounds. Then if all those are good, check and make sure your tin heat shield near the starter hasn’t been hit by debris and knocked against the starter relay studs. My Jeep is bad about that happening with the thru the forest and over the hills off roading I do
OK, but how does that cause the horn to go off intermittently? And even if it can,
wouldn't that cause other issues too?

-
Back