Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
oh - fiberglass - fun fun! what year is the vette?
Taking it easy today, Long day on my vette project yesterday. left fender had some cracks and when I dug in it, it had tabs of metal riveted in and packed with claw glass. So I got into fiberglass and resin on the inner and outer sides.

Nothing special an '80. I don't mind working with glass, can make something out of nothing and no rust on the car. lol

Well, I fired up the GTS today for the first time since parking it in the new garage just after Christmas. I reconnected the battery, one pump on the gas pedal to set the choke and turned the key...3 cranks and she fired right up!

Let it warm up for about 5 minutes and then drove over to my Speed Shop guy for the brake conversion. It was soooo nice to drive it again, but the old brakes really do suck bad. I can't wait to get it back with the new power disc brakes.

It should be done early next week. I'm having a few of the old steering linkage parts replaced while it's apart too. 45 year old tie-rod ends make me nervous.

Interesting, there a write up for this?

Ive seen it come up in a few threads. Tim pretty much covered it as far as why. Some kits come with the fitting. My DMT kit didn't ( not sure if they do now). I just got 2 grease fittings from hardware store. Drill side of housing a put it in. I think I saw that the ones in kits were 'drive in'. I used threaded. Just started a couple threads with a tap and the zerk self tapped the rest of the way.

While these tie rod ends don't show any play and feel really solid, they need to be replaced as far as I'm concerned. I think they are the factory originals...

Tie%20rods%20close_zpswn82t2wl.jpg

Wouldnt it be nice when you install the news ones that they last just as long..

Yeah, that would be fantastic!

Even though the boots are long gone, they were apparently regularly greased. Since the car only has 72k miles on it and has been garaged for all of it's life and kept down South away from the salt belt, they have apparently remained in good shape.

I asked my guy to clean and inspect them. If they really are solid, he might just put new boots on them and grease them up. I just want to be sure that they aren't a problem waiting to happen.

A penguin is driving along the highway when, suddenly his engine starts running rough and he sees smoke in his rear view mirror. He pulls off the highway and finds the nearest service station, and pulls up to the garage with the car shaking and sputtering. He tells the mechanic what happened, and the mechanic says "OK, give me 10 minutes to check it out."

Meanwhile, the penguin sees an ice cream shop across the street. Thinking this is a perfect time for a tasty treat, he heads over and gets himself an ice cream cone.

After he finishes, he walks back over to the garage, and asks the mechanic "So, did you find out what's wrong?"

The mechanic looks at the penguin and says "It looks like you blew a seal."

The penguin quickly wipes his face and says "Oh, no, that's just the ice cream..."

Smart move! When I bought my car someone prior to me converted the front end to LBP. It was a mishmash of different brands in the front end and was very loose feeling. So I ordered all Moog parts and started the rebuild.

I found 2 things wrong with my front end. 1-the manual steering box needed adjusting. That helped tremendously. The 2nd was they didnt install a washer (spacer) in the idler arm. I put that in there and wow, that steering is responsive now.

LOL, at the jokes!

I'm in an oddly silly mood...probably because I'm excited about getting the new brakes and other stuff done, while feeling a little nervous because my baby is away from home.

The garage feels so empty without the GTS parked in there. I went out and swept it since it's open now and I felt oddly like a parent straightening up the bedroom of a child that is away at camp.

Weird.

Hahahaha, Now wait until your child comes home and messes up its room again.

Somehow I still think you will be smiling!

How soon before you get the car back?

Hahahaha, Now wait until your child comes home and messes up its room again.

Somehow I still think you will be smiling!

How soon before you get the car back?

I should get it back early next week if all goes well. I'm really looking forward to giving it a nice wash, wax and a top-to-bottom detailing next weekend to get all of the Winter dust off it and then start cruising again on a regular basis.

My 11 year old daughter is bugging me to go for rides in it and I think the first trip will be to Dairy Queen so she can enjoy a ride and get a treat. I honestly think she loves the car as much as I do!

She stood in the driveway jumping up and down when I pulled it out this evening yelling "Yay! It's alive again!" :)

After that, I can begin refreshing the couple of dozen little things on it that I've been itching to do and hit some local car shows. First big local one is on May 22nd and I plan to be there!

Oh yeah SLS, where are you at with your car? I'm looking forward to seeing some updates on the engine install. You must be getting ready to start being able to cruise it yourself. :)

Well not as far as I want to be.

I have the engine and trans bolted in. I actually just received my Summit order with all the small parts I needed to finish it up.. It was mostly AN fittings, some gaskets etc... I didnt want to bolt anything else in until I got this order just so I have more room to move around in the engine bay. Im thinking it might be a very productive weekend for me and it would be cool if I have it all finished up by Sunday.

That is unless the wife has a honey do list.

Oh and Im still working on my hood scoop, making sure that the paint will look good once I lay it on. Im just rattle canning that. Plus side is the hood is ready to go for the scoop.

I'll post some pics of the car when I get a little further on it.

I should get it back early next week if all goes well. I'm really looking forward to giving it a nice wash, wax and a top-to-bottom detailing next weekend to get all of the Winter dust off it and then start cruising again on a regular basis.

My 11 year old daughter is bugging me to go for rides in it and I think the first trip will be to Dairy Queen so she can enjoy a ride and get a treat. I honestly think she loves the car as much as I do!

She stood in the driveway jumping up and down when I pulled it out this evening yelling "Yay! It's alive again!" :)

After that, I can begin refreshing the couple of dozen little things on it that I've been itching to do and hit some local car shows. First big local one is on May 22nd and I plan to be there!

Cherish those moments with your daughter my friend. My daughter is 15 now and I have to beg her to go for a ride. She is all about the technology :( She used to come out and wrench with me, oh how I miss those days!

Anyone have a good recommendation for replacement window felt for the door front windows where the track runs along the wing window pillar?

Attachments

• Window felt.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 99
Cherish those moments with your daughter my friend. My daughter is 15 now and I have to beg her to go for a ride. She is all about the technology :( She used to come out and wrench with me, oh how I miss those days!

Yeah, she is a real sweetheart now so I'm hoping it carries over to the "teen tech" years.

So far she has bucked the trend of typical development attitude and I'm hoping it continues. I have long talks with her about it regularly and tell her what may be coming so she can at least think about how she acts in the future.

So far, so good. :)

-
Back