Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
From B bodies...............

If you want to switch to manual adjusters NAPA sells the parts. Teeth are larger on manual adjusters. In top photo of manual the spring holds the bottom shoes together keeps adjuster from moving on it's own.NAPA part numbers for the spring is UP80503 manual adjusters left UP80556 and right is UP80557.
Bottom photo self adjusters.
rearb1.JPG

No pins on the old shoes........................

View attachment 1716095527
That's because the old front brakes were manually adjusted when you needed to. The set you were trying to put on there where you need the pins are for automatic adjusters. You don't really need them anyhow. You can always go in the back of the backing plate and adjust the star adjuster to tighten the brake shoes if you think they are too loose.

First ever batch of home made basil/garlic cheese and pepper jack

IMG_0186.jpeg

That's because the old front brakes were manually adjusted when you needed to. The set you were trying to put on there where you need the pins are for automatic adjusters. You don't really need them anyhow. You can always go in the back of the backing plate and adjust the star adjuster to tighten the brake shoes if you think they are too loose.
Thanks, I will have to get the other springs and adjusters from Napa.

Yes, apparently that car is pretty original. They really didn't start using self-adjusting brakes until around 67 or 68. Just go with what you have. If they need to be adjusted you can do it with the brake spoon from behind the backing plates. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Thank you Mitch!

Thank you Mitch!
I had a 500 horsepower 1960 Corvette that only had manual adjust drum brakes on it. Always stopped well. Whenever I would service it, I would check to see that they were adjusted properly. No big deal.
IMG-6ad0dc60fd766132518275b95e5b92af-V.jpg

IMG-6ad0dc60fd766132518275b95e5b92af-V.jpg

I am trying to research and figure this stuff out on my own. I don’t want to be that guy……….
YouTube can be useful but you gotta watch multiple different ones and you rarely get fully correct information

Thanks. The low amount of miles on the car and parts, I am going to clean up the bottom springs and reuse them with all of the original adjusters. I am sure they are better than chineses replacements anyway.

Yeh, the pins are just for the auto adjusters. I have never seen any kind of auto adjust on fronts. I've almost always been able to re-use the adjusters. Just take apart and neversieze both the screw and other end. So, no -not normally in spring kits.
That may have been my issue with the pins for the fronts, maybe the car is too early to have them on the front.

-
Back