Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
It was cool being in a remote area. Our busses were contracted tour buses. Sometimes double decker.
I remember going into Germany the first time on orders for a short exercise. At the airport our group of four got two rental cars. I asked what my choices were, and the lady responded BMW or Mercedes. I replied oh no we're on a per diem and those cars are out of our allowance range. She laughed and said no these are like your Fords and Chevy's. Ok then one of each. We raced all the way down the Autobahn.

I remember going into Germany the first time on orders for a short exercise. At the airport our group of four got two rental cars. I asked what my choices were, and the lady responded BMW or Mercedes. I replied oh no we're on a per diem and those cars are out of our allowance range. She laughed and said no these are like your Fords and Chevy's. Ok then one of each. We raced all the way down the Autobahn.
All the taxis were Mercedes

Funny thing our exercise was cancelled the day we arrived. They told us "You have your credit card and transportation don't leave the country and be back here in 10 days". We left staying in smaller towns at night and toured NE Germany. Had a blast!!

There was no such thing as police brutality. When I was stationed there myself as a military police officer, you did anything wrong the police would beat your ***. A lot of young soldiers figured that out quickly
My Dad said the same thing of Japan, said they cracked some noggins over there lol!

Actually when I lived in Germany as a kid I was on a soccer team
As a kid, I lived in Vienna, Austria. My dad was the airborne radio operator on the embassy gooney Bird. No bases in Austria. We lived in the outskirts of the city. At the age of six, I learned to read, write, and speak German. I also played soccer with the local kids. But the American international school that we went to had American football. Lol, yes only two teams. Teams. The red team and the blue team. We played each other every week. I was on the red team. Fun days then way back when

As a kid, I lived in Vienna, Austria. My dad was the airborne radio operator on the embassy gooney Bird. No bases in Austria. We lived in the outskirts of the city. At the age of six, I learned to read, write, and speak German. I also played soccer with the local kids. But the American international school that we went to had American football. Lol, yes only two teams. Teams. The red team and the blue team. We played each other every week. I was on the red team. Fun days then way back when
Life was so simple at that age!!

I'm trying today to live it...every day find some time to "play like a kid" :thumbsup:

vintage-ads-that-would-be-banned-today-25-1.jpg

Doubt that ad would fly in todays world!

I played soccer for one year, my 5th grade year, and hated every minute of it.

Sorry that show is turning into a party, liked the pic, thanks.
Yeah, it is unfortunate unless you are the party people. I go for the cars, venue and atmosphere. Now a bunch of parking is for camping. More about the party scene and $$$ than the cars. Oh well, maybe it was just me. We made it there with both cars without issue, that was the goal. I asked when paying to get in, what if you bring a car. Lady said the cars are free, still $20/person. Well we parked about a mile away instead of in the show area and they didn't seem to care if you brought one or not. So, it will forever be whomever is friends with the organizers and the same 150-200 cars you see every year.

Yeah, it is unfortunate unless you are the party people. I go for the cars, venue and atmosphere. Now a bunch of parking is for camping. More about the party scene and $$$ than the cars. Oh well, maybe it was just me. We made it there with both cars without issue, that was the goal. I asked when paying to get in, what if you bring a car. Lady said the cars are free, still $20/person. Well we parked about a mile away instead of in the show area and they didn't seem to care if you brought one or not. So, it will forever be whomever is friends with the organizers and the same 150-200 cars you see every year.
What shows that?

Sounds like money is the priority for the organizers, too bad. We went to a second annual show here on the Island before we left, zero Mopars and not the best organization but wasn't bad.

Funny thing our exercise was cancelled the day we arrived. They told us "You have your credit card and transportation don't leave the country and be back here in 10 days". We left staying in smaller towns at night and toured NE Germany. Had a blast!!
Your post reminded me of a story I can share about my younger brother. The Bosch company hired him and a fellow student straight out of electrical engineering class at Greenville Tech', before completing a new plant in Anderson where antilock brake processors would be produced. Their first task was tgo to a local school to learn speaking the German language. That was 4 to 6 weeks (I forget). Next task was off to Germany to learn exactly how they do things for 92 days.
Their policies aren't the same as ours. Instead of time and a half for over time, they get one hour off with pay for every hour of overtime clocked. They clocked days worth of time off. Then they flew their wives over, rented a Winnebago like motorhome (Mercedes built) and travelled the foreign lands. Again, I forget where all they went, Holland, Switzerland, etc..
I got a true black forest coo-coo clock too. Although one of the smaller, less expensive models, It isn't for sale at any price.
Brother has been at that Bosch plant for more than 35 years now. I don't know if we find many employment opportunities like that today.

-
Back