Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Caught up to Tim

IMG_4700.jpeg

Must be a clutch thing on autos and manuals. I had to get my teen aged *** home from work at midnight with no clutch in my 4 spd Ranchero. The pivot on the clutch fork broke.

Must be a clutch thing on autos and manuals. I had to get my teen aged *** home from work at midnight with no clutch in my 4 spd Ranchero. The pivot on the clutch fork broke.
Definitely more options with a manual to make things work in a pinch.

The dark magic of the automatic transmission is fickle and elusive

It has to be the PA Gremlins. Been working on my Jeep rear differential putting in a Pinion Bearing. I have had 2 different rear end guys come and tinker and still sounds like I have massive snow tires on going down the road and when you let off the gas there is a whine. Second guy does rear ends and used dial indicators and everything and says it is all within specs. I am wondering if someone sold me a bad bearing. All new bearings and new crush sleeve.

It has to be PA Gremlins

It has to be the PA Gremlins. Been working on my Jeep rear differential putting in a Pinion Bearing. I have had 2 different rear end guys come and tinker and still sounds like I have massive snow tires on going down the road and when you let off the gas there is a whine. Second guy does rear ends and used dial indicators and everything and says it is all within specs. I am wondering if someone sold me a bad bearing. All new bearings and new crush sleeve.

It has to be PA Gremlins
Have the same Gremlins here.

Can that be fixed without dropping the trans?
Bands can be adjusted with just dropping the pan. But replacement I think will require removing the unit and pulling the pump.
But since it wasn't sudden, maybe its an adjustment. Also I'm not clear on whether 2nd and drive are working. It is a full manual VB if I understand correctly. TA will know their valve body so probably can be more helpful. I'm not a transmission guy at all. Just rebuilt my own once. TA was supplying MP for years so other people will also know.

Sadly, Tim wasn’t the only one broken. Passed a bunch of broken power tour cars on the way there and back.

Good morning everyone. Too much to catch up on. Miss anything?

Been working on the Charger. Got what I believe is the last 4 roll cage bars cut, coped and tacked in. Then started trying to fit up the different bumper and the C500 grill setup

So, I decided to use a 70 Road Runner bumper on the front of the Charger to go with the C500. Adds a sense of air dam. Bottom of bumper is 7" off the ground. Started the skeleton work to modify the fender to match.

20240608_171009.jpg

20240609_161208.jpg

20240609_163305.jpg

It has to be PA Gremlins
Pinion bearing, and or worn gears or improperly set.

It has to be PA Gremlins
Howl in coast/decel I would lean towards pinion depth/gear mesh. Or too much preload on the bearing

Howl in coast/decel I would lean towards pinion depth/gear mesh. Or too much preload on the bearing
Most ring gears and pinions are marked with what the pinion depth should be. I have set up a few ring and pinions in my time. I have a pinion depth gauge that sits in the saddle where the ring gear goes reaches down and measures the pinion depth. This is critical to having a quiet gear set. Obviously after the pinion depth is set then the clearance between the ring gear and the pinion must also be set. But it sounds to me like you are using the same ring and pinion as you had before the bearing noise. If that's the case then maybe the bearing is installed and properly are too tight. Does his have a crush sleeve? A few things to consider.

Most ring gears and pinions are marked with what the pinion depth should be. I have set up a few ring and pinions in my time. I have a pinion depth gauge that sits in the saddle where the ring gear goes reaches down and measures the pinion depth. This is critical to having a quiet gear set. Obviously after the pinion depth is set then the clearance between the ring gear and the pinion must also be set. But it sounds to me like you are using the same ring and pinion as you had before the bearing noise. If that's the case then maybe the bearing is installed and properly are too tight. Does his have a crush sleeve? A few things to consider.
This isn't mine, just replying to what the howl could be. I worked in off highway drive train for 16 years building differentials. Howl on cruise and coast to me sounds like set up is wrong or bearing is tight.

-
Back